Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3

Status

Squealing Brakes On New S3, Common Problem?? & Audi/Mods Query

As above before I bought mine both of my mates squeal really bad (A 58 & 56 Reg) but now mine have started doing it worse than theirs & more often, I feel like a right nob with a 28k car that sounds like a taxi that hasnt had an MOT/Service coming to a stop even more when other cheap motors seem fine when driving around.

Any ideas? its going into Audi for them to have a look at but am abit worried about the evoms intake, forge dv & maybe the revo if they find it even tho I will switch it off before I go. Also if they get rid of my remap am I right in that I cant just put it back on with the select plus switch as it doesnt actually hold the map??
    Last edited by Phil_T; 22nd February 2010 at 21:33.

Revo Stage 2+ - Miltek Non Res Turbo Back Exhaust - Evoms Intake - Autotech Fuel
    Pump - Forge DV - Sachs Clutch - BSH Engine/Gearbox Mounts - BSH PCV Mod - RS4
    FPR Valve - Airlift Performance Struts With Adjustable Top Mounts & Droplinks with Accuair Management - H & R Anti Roll Bars - 42 Draft Designs Shifter Bushes - BBS E28 Magnesium Motorsport Wheels - Piano
    Black Optics Grill & Fogs - Piano Black Door Mirrors - Carbon Fibre Front Splitter & Rear Diffuser

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    if its just the brakes they are checking then tell them you dont want it put on the vagcom. They wont say anything about the mods as they dont effect the brakes

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

6th Gear

Status
    I had this issue on my last S3, I took my car into Listers Solihull with all the hardware and software on but never mentioned it. They sent a tech out with me, I drove and he listened. Front pads were replaced under warranty at 9,000 miles, they did say that getting the pads replaced is very mileage dependant so try and get the car in asap, Audi have apparently replaced a fair few for a type with a different compound. It cured mine.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3simon View Post
    if its just the brakes they are checking then tell them you dont want it put on the vagcom. They wont say anything about the mods as they dont effect the brakes
    I dont want to say dont use vagcom as they might wonder why. Also what would happen if they wiped my revo. Would revo remap it again foc? what would happend if Audi wiped it over more than one visits?

Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post
    I had this issue on my last S3, I took my car into Listers Solihull with all the hardware and software on but never mentioned it. They sent a tech out with me, I drove and he listened. Front pads were replaced under warranty at 9,000 miles, they did say that getting the pads replaced is very mileage dependant so try and get the car in asap, Audi have apparently replaced a fair few for a type with a different compound. It cured mine.
    Thanks I thought I had read something similar I will mention this to them

Revo Stage 2+ - Miltek Non Res Turbo Back Exhaust - Evoms Intake - Autotech Fuel
    FPR Valve - Airlift Performance Struts With Adjustable Top Mounts & Droplinks with Accuair Management - H & R Anti Roll Bars - 42 Draft Designs Shifter Bushes - BBS E28 Magnesium Motorsport Wheels - Piano
    Black Optics Grill & Fogs - Piano Black Door Mirrors - Carbon Fibre Front Splitter & Rear Diffuser

6th Gear

Status
    If your car is flashed, which I strongly doubt as they always too busy, Revo will reset it for you FOC, an independant Revo dealer may charge you a little for his time but if he does get yourself another outlet as should be a goodwill gesture.

When I called to service to mention my squeaky brakes I just adopted the same tone as you at the beginning of the thread, basically you dont expect this from a prestige car, if your mileage is low it's an easy warranty claim for them so should be no problem.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

4th Gear

Status
    Mate you are putting too much faith in Audi's diagnostic VAS (?) machine. I have had mine on a number of occasions and no probs; I suspect they read the fault codes and follow the prompts. RE: brakes. I cannot imagine they will hook it up to change the pads out and yes the squeaky brakes seem to be quite common. I reported mine as far as Audi UK and got no joy, but like many things with regional variations some have got them changed under warranty. As spin has correctly pointed out the map isn't stored in the Select switch, this is.just an interface to adjust the software's settings. My Revo guy will reflash for free (not that I have needed it) and for the time that it takes I would be surprised if any decent tuner would actually charge a fee to put it back on - although I do appreciate the time/money argument.

Boycie

Status
    Mine squeak from time to time and it is more or less the brake dust cover that moves slightly - Just poke you hand in behind the wheel and push the cover back a bit. Usually solves the problem.

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post
    If your car is flashed, which I strongly doubt as they always too busy, Revo will reset it for you FOC, an independant Revo dealer may charge you a little for his time but if he does get yourself another outlet as should be a goodwill gesture.

When I called to service to mention my squeaky brakes I just adopted the same tone as you at the beginning of the thread, basically you dont expect this from a prestige car, if your mileage is low it's an easy warranty claim for them so should be no problem.
    I got it done from Prosport in Manchester I wasnt worried about them finding it it was more them flashing the car & getting rid of it. What do you think they will be like towards the evoms intake & the forge dv?.

Yep same as you I dont want constent squealing breaks that you can hear from quite a distance till I stop

Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    Mate you are putting too much faith in Audi's diagnostic VAS (?) machine. I have had mine on a number of occasions and no probs; I suspect they read the fault codes and follow the prompts. RE: brakes. I cannot imagine they will hook it up to change the pads out and yes the squeaky brakes seem to be quite common. I reported mine as far as Audi UK and got no joy, but like many things with regional variations some have got them changed under warranty. As spin has correctly pointed out the map isn't stored in the Select switch, this is.just an interface to adjust the software's settings. My Revo guy will reflash for free (not that I have needed it) and for the time that it takes I would be surprised if any decent tuner would actually charge a fee to put it back on - although I do appreciate the time/money argument.
    As above mate what I wrote to spin

Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    Mine squeak from time to time and it is more or less the brake dust cover that moves slightly - Just poke you hand in behind the wheel and push the cover back a bit. Usually solves the problem.
    This isnt a squeak its a loud squeal which doesnt seem to go away, Will see what Audi say when it goes in but wanted to see other peoples thoughts as it seems quite common

4th Gear

Status
    Phil just thought mate Jamiekip just had his swapped out under warranty, so a PM might be worth a punt to bring his attention. I got in touch with Audi UK after I read about a Tech Bulletin on the issue, but the chap couldn't find owt and the dealer was the same. So I guess it's down to a sympathetic dealer wanting to pick up some warranty work.

4th Gear

Status
    Phil just thought mate Jamiekip just had his swapped out under warranty, so a PM might be worth a punt to bring his attention. I got in touch with Audi UK after I read about a Tech Bulletin on the issue, but the chap couldn't find owt and the dealer was the same. So I guess it's down to a sympathetic dealer wanting to pick up some warranty work. EDIT: just noticed the second bit. I take mine in as is and they don't say owt, well the Service Manager did mention that it had been dropped - but that was him winding me up that one was broken. ...and it's not like you would miss the dirty great Evoms. BUT, my caveat would be none of the things I have been in for (servicing, etc) have been for large faults for which they would look to attribute the mod as being contributary to the issue at hand. I do understand that the burdon is upon them to prove the mod contributed or caused the fault, not the other way around. I have reasoned to take my chances for routine stuff, but I would think twice if I was going in with a fault. I wouldn't criticise anyone for de-modding but it is a PITA.