S3 service question

JohnS3

Reaction score
OK gurus. Here's a servicing question for you.

My current S3 is on variable servicing and I'm only seeing about 10K between services. I don't drive around like a maniac either, mainly motorways. So I pay £200-250 per service per year.

If I was to buy a new one and have it set to fixed, I would need a service every 10K (or 12 months), but is the first 10K service just an oil change followed by a major service at 20K? Am I right in thinking the fixed services are cheaper than the variable?

Just trying to work out if its cost effective to go fixed.

John, I have this problem also, and previously with my Golf.

On my Golf (remapped) I decided to change to `fixed` as my service indicator was coming on after 9month and only 8K miles or so.

The way I understand it is that the car has instrumentation to monitor oil condition and this is the/one of the paramaters that dictates the serice and oil change frequency.

Because I didnt want to run for too long on `knackered oil`, and because the car is remapped, Im sticking with variable schedule on the S3.

As a general `theoretical` rule, you should be able to achieve upto 2 yr/20K miles on a variable service interval regime. (optomistic sales guff IMO)

This is how the dealer explained it to me so I reserve the right to be wrong!

Im sure I will be put straight by some one more informed than me, if thats the case of course.

Cheers
Paul

For some reason you will never see 19K between services on an S3. Hence the switch to fixed to save some money.