Water in battery tray!!

clem2192

Reaction score
Guys/Gals,

Fitted a new battery in my 3.2 at the weekend but when I removed the battery cover there was approx 1cm of water in the bottom of the battery tray.

I soaked up the water and left a cloth in the bottom to collect any other moisture that may occur but didn't notice a drain plug or anything.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Did it keep occuring?

Kind Regards

Ryan

Could just be a gather up from a period of time or have you washed under the engine bay before?

Might be a good idea to take the battery out and drill a few small holes in the bottom of the casing to prevent any more future build up

The battery is located in the boot on a 3.2 so doubt cleaning the engine would be the problem.

Considered drilling a few small holes but am unsure as to what's running beneath....don't wanna go through anything I shouldn't. Also will drilling holes not cause more moisture to build up from water flicking up from the road?!

surely there is something wrong there, you should not be getting water into the battery tray. do you have any idea where this could come from, is it from outside moisture, or from the moisture within the car?

I was thinking that it wasnt quite right too!! Dont have a clue where its coming from.....although it does explain why my rear window was constantly steaming up :)

Think I'm just going to keep an eye on it if no-one else has encountered this problem

might just be from that past few months, lots of snow melting everywhere, you possibly bringing snow into the car, creating water to get onto surfaces such as the side of battery case, and over time making a little puddle in bottom. thats the only way i can think it would get there.

did think that with recent weather and all that. plus creating more consensation from back window was never going to go away so glad I found the problem.

try and soak up as much water as you can find, take carpets out and clean them and leave them in house for a few days to dry through, and put cars heater on with aircon on, for a while, this should dry out any moisture in the air!

I had the same problem with mine, however the water in mine was only about 2" from covering the battery, there must have been a couple of pints at least.
A tad more than moisture in the car, more like a goldfish bowl sloshing around in the boot!

The boot carpets aren't wet at all so am unsure as to where the water is coming from!!

Richleek, did you manage to find out the source of the water?! Have you had the problem back since?! How did you sort it?!