2.0 TDI DSG - Leaking Oil From The Intercooler Pipe?

johal87

Reaction score
Hi all,

Could someone please help me on this?

I woke up this morning and the coolant light started going crazy, so I topped it up.. Then I noticed a small patch of oil on my drive (looking at the car front right hand corner, maybe middle), Didnt think anything of it and carried on.

When I was at the other house, I moved the car back just to check if there was a leak of coolant anywhere, and there wasnt, but there was OIL same place again..

Took it too my Dad and hes looked underneath and theres oil dripping from the intercooler pipe? Again bottom right hand corner of the Rads if you looking at the front of the car, Big chunky pipe.

A week ago this pipes clips broke and has since been fixed, But as for the Oil im baffled, im sure theres only meant to be air in there?

PS there isnt a engine floor cover on my car, hence why there oils on the floor and not on there.

Any heads up with be great.

Thanks guys

AFAIK it is not unusual for some oil to get into the intercooler (vapors). Maybe it is full and now is running over. If you don't find an obvious reason for that oil dripping, try to take the intercooler out and clean it.

Your right there shouldnt be any oil in intercooler pipes. Mostly like turbo giving way/ on its way out. When my turbo popped there was loads of oil in ther cooler pipes and had to be cleaned out.

Ok, saying its the Turbo, what am i looking at? Ive seen you have put a hybrid turbo? is this a better spec than the genuine turbo?

i had the same problem, all i done was renew the rubber seals and clips this fixed the problem completely, i also had a small leak on my radiator which i fixed with some radweld added to the coolant expansion tank.,

hope this helps.

Your right there shouldnt be any oil in intercooler pipes. Mostly like turbo giving way/ on its way out. When my turbo popped there was loads of oil in ther cooler pipes and had to be cleaned out.
Oil collectioning in the lowest section of the intercooler pipes is common thing as it`s just the vapors from the cam cover breather pipe. It might be oil from leaking seals from your turbo but then it could be a lot of other things as well. If the engine sounds good and your not using any more oil then usual i wouldn`t worry.

i had the same problem, all i done was renew the rubber seals and clips this fixed the problem completely, i also had a small leak on my radiator which i fixed with some radweld added to the coolant expansion tank.,

hope this helps.

Which seals are we talking about here mate? Turbo?

He is talking about the rubber seals and the crap VAG clips on the plastic intercooler pipework. Rubber seals would soon melt on a turbo.

He is talking about the rubber seals and the crap VAG clips on the plastic intercooler pipework. Rubber seals would soon melt on a turbo.

Sorry im not to good with bits and peices like this, However last week the clips broke from the intercooler pipe! which has since been fixed, but not with a VAG method..

as to the clips and seals where exactly are we talking about, and il get them changed as the first trail and error mission!