RECOMMENDED OPTIONS .

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , i was just wondering what options you have have got and could live without , and what options you wish you had got and didn't , many thanks .

Hi shilts,
Dont bother with the i pod connection its a waste of £100

I agree with the above, iPod is rubbish, save your money and get other options.

Ones I have that I quite like are:

- Luggage net in the boot (comes in very handy)
- Interior Light Pack
- Cruise Control
- Bluetooth Handsfree (works really well (and with the iPhone), very impressed)

Ones I wish I had got:

- Auto wipers and lights (can't be retrofitted without replacing the windscreen)

bucket seats , others not very supportive

I wish I'd got the tire pressure monitor - knackered a tire within a month of ownership cos I didn't know I'd picked up a puncture. Also wish I'd got the interior light pack too.

Just ordered mine, and left off the interior lights. Really regret it now, but too late to change the spec as it's being built.
Did remember to get the comfort pack (cruise, auto lights & wipers) and the tyre pressure monitor though.

Sunroof is THE must have option for me.

Got:- 1.6TDI Sport Sportback, Black with Lighting pack,Cruise,Auto Lights and Rain sensor, Black headlining
Not Got and on Wish list:- RNS-E, Concert Radio is rubbish

If you are getting SAT NAV, you ought to looking into getting a Multi CD player for Glove box, as I read you cannot play Cd's when using the SAT NAV.
Why are people saying don't bother with the IPOD option? lots of people have Ipods now.

Unless you want to pay top dollar it is hard to find a ordered one or stock one that has the options you want. and some S3 have been sitting on the Forecourt un-registered for 6 months and more.
Black Editions S3s have some good options fitted as standard, for a good price as well if you add them all up.
I managed to find a Black Ed, Met Paint, with S tronic, Light and Rain, Blue tooth interface, Sound Pack. pretty well all I wanted, though the odd ones like interior light pack etc. would be nice. I do find it amazing though a Garage would order Rains/senor option, and not the comfort package for so little more?, the one thing I wanted was at least rear parking sensors, but can have them added after.

Last edited:
Bose
Light Pack
Cruise
Winter Pack - or the pack with DRL's, auto lights, xenons, etc...
RNS-E
If it is for an S3 you should definately get the flat bottomed steering wheel
18" alloys
Armrest
CD Changer at least or iPod dock
Storage pack

Nice and necessary:

Parking sensors
Auto Lights/Wipers
Auto dimming mirror
Arm rest
Sunroof
Bose (or an aftermarket system at a later date)

The rest... Nice but not necessary.

shilts,

I've got a Black Edition, so it comes with several options as standard: The xenon lights are great, would recommend these. Bose is good too. I was worried the tinted windows would be a bif naff, but they're excellent.

I also spec'd

- Luggage pack,
- Storage pack,
- Cruise control (this is great),
- Sunroof (expensive as I've a sportback and creaked until the dealership fixed it, but it's good nonetheless),
- Ipod dock (utter, utter crap; shame on Audi. Save your money and avoid this)
- Coming home lights (good),
- Heated seats (good),
- Auto lights and wipers (great),
- full leather seats.

I really wish I'd also got the tyre monitor (TPMS), though I believe it can be retrofitted. Have often wondered if the magnetic ride would have been worth it as the suspension is as hard as nails.

Cheers,
Phill

Thanks guy's , it's surprising how little the tyre pressure monitor crops up ! Quite fancied this myself . The thought of the comfort pack with rear parking sensors sounds good value . Has anyone had the comfort pack then added front parking sensors - is this possible , or an unnecessary luxury ?

Options got:

Cruise control - great if doing a lot of motorway miles
BOSE - impressed but haven't ever had a chance to hear non-BOSE
Aluminium rails - essential, sets off Sportback really well
USB - good but basic, not worth the mark-up
Parking sensors (rear) - does what it says on the tin

Options wish I had:
Lighting pack - didn't realise the step-up this gives the interior
LED DRLs - I would have got these but in Summer 08 you could only spec this as an option for S-Line or S3, really makes the car stand out
Rear window sun blinds - good for baby and would look better than the teddy bear ones you see everywhere

my s3 came with every option available apart from the rns-e , it was a toss up between the rns-e and buckets and thankfully for me the previous owner opted for the buckets which are amazing......... gonna find a rns-e or aftermarket sound system later..........
the buckets are so so good...........

Last edited:
Thanks guy's , it's surprising how little the tyre pressure monitor crops up ! Quite fancied this myself . The thought of the comfort pack with rear parking sensors sounds good value . Has anyone had the comfort pack then added front parking sensors - is this possible , or an unnecessary luxury ?

not unnecessary, it's just for people who can't drive! I could understand if the A3 was a big car, but it's a hatchback with good visibility.

I was lucky enough to find a used 2007 S3 with just about every option - including the crap ipod dock. I use the SD card slots behind the RNS-E screen for my music now. The adaptive bi-xenons are great, if you've not had xenons before you'll be amazed how much better they are. The flat bottomed steering wheel is great. Love the bluetooth as well and the black headlining.

Apart from buckets (pretty hard to find on a well specced used S3 - think most punters must have had to either budget for either buckets or gizmos but not both lol), the only thing not specced was cruise control. This is the one mod I will retro fit at some point, as I have it on the A6 family wagon and love it.

Oh, not sure if they're standard or part of the xenon pack etc., but the heated washer jets I discovered this winter are fantastic!

BOSE as well, gotta get buckets man, just look at them :wub::

audirs405_inter21600.jpg

A picture says a thousand words :readit:

Mine was a lightly used car with quite few extras.

But the things I couldnt live without now, are:

-FBMFSW
-Bluetooth
-BOSE
-Armrest - use at ALL of the time
-RNSE (retrofitted)

Things I could live without.

-Sunroof - nice in summer, probably wouldnt spec it on a new car though.
-Cruise - Never use it.
-Light pack- Its Ok I suppose.
-Adaptive Xenons - Dont notice there are there TBH.
-Folding Mirrors - Kinda useful, wouldnt miss them.
-Auto wipers - Never quite get it right for me, end up manually switching setting.

Loads of other stuff but Im not sure what is standard.

Must have mods

-Stage1 Remap-as a minimum
-H&R springs

Cheers
Paul

My second ever post and in a matter of minutes....

Well, i specced a new car which is due to arrive end March/early April but i am changing from a VW Eos (fantastic car but i now do a lot of work miles and economy not as good as would like, plus it should carry a health warning in snow and ice/extreme wet and i have plenty of lanes to navigate to and from work). As such, i have similar options on the Eos i've lived with and without to compare. My new Black edition has the following:

Leather (love it)
DVD sat-nav (only got as part of tech pack but i like other features it provides)
F&R parking sensors - i know how to park, but got the front sensors as like the idea of visual display)
Flat tyre indicator (have this on the Eos and it works)
High beam assist (if it saves me constantly flicking at night then well worth it)
Light & Rain sensors (have become very lazy!)
Adaptive Xenon's (thought might as well, loved Xenon's and missed them when my Eos didn't have them)
Electric door mirrors (useful)
Heated seats (a MUST)
Lumbar support (makes seats much more comfortable)
Interior light pack (think this has the LED ambient lighting in the ceiling - if so this looks great and had this in last 2 cars)
Cruise control (far too easy to accidentally creep up in speed)
BOSE (wish current car had upgraded system as mid range not so good and a bit of vibration)

Just my views ;-)

Cheers,

Mark

High beam assist automatically adjusts your headlights from main beam to dipped when vehicles approach. Great for me as there are a few routes i regularly travel on when it's dark that are twisting lanes. A combo of high beam assist and adaptive Xenon's should be just the ticket!