Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

First Post , Sat Nav Content .

Hi
    I am due to collect my first Audi tomorrow , a 2008 S3 , It has a standard radio & I would like a Sat Nav unit . What's the thoughts on buying an OEM unit over an after market like Pioneer , Kenwood or Alpine . I have done a search but cannot find any info .

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    The RNS-E units are superb, i recently changed my OEM radio for one, i would bother with aftermarket units as the OEM RNS-E is perfect.

Davie

Reverse Gear

Status
    Really . Ok , Do you need to have the Map DVD in the unit all the time ? or are the maps installed on the unit ?
    Simon

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    OEM ftw

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sipod View Post
    Really . Ok , Do you need to have the Map DVD in the unit all the time ? or are the maps installed on the unit ?
    Simon
    The Maps are on a DVD.

I did what you are thinking to do. I did the install myself after finding a unit. Had a few small issues but after reading the posts here and talking with a member it was all sorted in no time.

The RNS-E is a great unit, I have the 2009 model. Th only thing that I find is lacking is the SD card support, which is basic at best and no speed camera warnings / ways to add custom POI's. It's not as full featured as a Tom Tom but it has never let me down, simple, to the point and does what it says on the box
    A3 1.8TFSI Saloon S-Tronic S-Line Quattro 8V - Jan2014 (63)
    Glacier White with 19" 5 Arm Wing Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Black Fine Nappa Leather with White Stitching, Heated Seats, Storage Pack, Folding Mirrors, SD Nav, Aluminium Pedals + More!

Previous: A3 (8P) 1.8TFSI Cabriolet S-Tronic Black Edition - Ibis White with Black Roof, Revo Stage One Plus with SDS, RNSE MKII with AMI, Cruse Control + More!

Reverse Gear

Status
    What's the Iphone compatibility like with the RNS-E ? both with music and phone use ?

Neutral

Status
    I've had some issues with the iphone randomly disconnecting from the RNS-E gsm bluetooth. Apparently it's a common issue...

1st Gear

Status
    Not had any issues with my iPhone 3G so far, not sure about the 3GS though. Never used it as a music player as I don't have an iPod connection, but that's what the SD cards are for
    Glacier White with 19" 5 Arm Wing Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Black Fine Nappa Leather with White Stitching, Heated Seats, Storage Pack, Folding Mirrors, SD Nav, Aluminium Pedals + More!

Previous: A3 (8P) 1.8TFSI Cabriolet S-Tronic Black Edition - Ibis White with Black Roof, Revo Stage One Plus with SDS, RNSE MKII with AMI, Cruse Control + More!

Boycie

Status
    Retrofitting the RNSE is an easy job

Mine already came with sat nav but I wanted the RNSE version so bought it off a reputable ebayer and hey presto, plugged in and away I went!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Any ad hoc cables required if I have the standard CD player installed other than the GPS ?

1st Gear

Status
    Any ad hoc cables required if I have the standard CD player installed other than the GPS ?
    You should be good to go using the cables which are already behind the dash. If you have Bose then you will need to relocate one of the pins, but it's a simple job. You will also need to get some coding changes made via VCDS.

Reverse Gear

Status
    OK Thanks for that
    Any recommendations for a recode in the cumbria lancashire area ? Also where do I put the GPS unit ? Do I need to start removing trim to get it in the roof liner ?

All help is much appreciated

6th Gear

Status
    Only thing i don't like about the sat nav on the RNS-E is the 4/5 digit postcode input

If you don't know the name of the road, you're stuffed
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Go for the RNS-e mate, after the 2010 Model got released, i`ve seen the prices of the "older" RNS-e`s go down!

Perfect fit for your interior and decent navigation. But if you`re looking for BT + TV + etc you`re gonna need a lot more extras for the Unit
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

6th Gear

Status
    I picked up a 2009 unit for 650 recently

OK i needed to buy navigation receiver and BT module, but it was still cheaper than the equivalent Alpine unit that i looked at
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I now have an RSN-E unit . It arrived today its a 2007 version with 2009 maps DVD.
    Any advise on VAG-COM to set it up in my car would be great , IE getting the S3 logo to show on start up etc

1st Gear

Status
    Best place to look for Coding information would be in the Satnav section of this forum. Is loads of info there and a few guides.

6th Gear

Status
    I now have an RSN-E unit . It arrived today its a 2007 version with 2009 maps DVD.
    Any advise on VAG-COM to set it up in my car would be great , IE getting the S3 logo to show on start up etc
    Here you go....
    http://audiforum.us/knowledge-base/6...des-rns-e.html