genuine or not ..???

10blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED
Reaction score
Hi guy's I'm trying to sell my car before my misses has our baby boy Ive reduced the sale to 13,400 ? How ever a guy has emailed us from our ad on auto trader he says' his name is Adam Clark and he work's for audisouthwest.. He claims he is the used car buyer and has offered us 12250 for the car , i really need a quick sale so i want to take his offer , He says's he will send a driver with a truck and a bankers draft I'm not keen on this because of forgery's so i suggested a bank transfer ...is this guy genuine or not ? how could i find out ? The website seems fine but something is telling me he may be dodgy or is it me being paranoid ? This is my first time selling a car and its really annoying and stressfull , Does anyone know how i could get this guy checked out or what's the bestway of payment etc......

I've had no experience in anything like this but if this guy is genuine then he would have no issues with you
- asking for his main office number so you could call him back to validation he works for Audi (and tell him this is your first and immediate intention)
- requesting payment is cleared before releasing YOUR car (bankers draft, cheque - whatever you decide)
- making him explain how he is meant to be a pro (if his approach is normal then there will be plenty of people he has spoken to who has been sceptical! Don't try to be nice or sound clever, instead just explain 'I don't feel comfortable.... ' or 'I am only comfortable with......'. Don't let him bluff you into anyway - A good salemens manipulates your anxieties so be careful)
- having your own demands as it is normal for any negotiation
- asking him how he will gurantee you (e.g. pre sales invoice posted to you before the exchange date?)

Take a moment to think about your position:
- if you need some reassurance that this person is genuine then ask for it - it's up to him to provide enough evidence to make you feel comfortable to proceed with negotiations
- even if he is genuine, you still have the ability to influence payment method / collect method and the order of things
- why would you give away the car without money in the bank?

Don't forget you are already taking £1150 off the price of the car; that's no small figure! You could hold out for another caller but only you know if the is valued at a reasonable price as that's what will bring in the punters (you then still have up to 1k discount to seal the deal- that's HUGE)

Anyway if you want to proceed then make a list of things you want satisified and demand it from him. He, as a professional, should have methods in answering your fears of being deceived in a manner that gives you confidence that he is genuine.

Anyway good luck as I really can't deal with the anoyance and stress of a private sale myself.

You can verify a bankers draft. Ensure the draft is delivered during banking hours, and ring the issuing bank. You can give them all the details from the draft, and they can verify that it is legitimate.

Audi South West are a legitimate group of Audi dealers in the west country. The important thing to check is that this guy is actually from Audi South West! As suggested, make sure you get a land line contact number.

Looking at the Exeter Audi website there is an Adam Clark listed as the Used Car Sales Manager.

Name: Adam Clark
Position: Used Car Sales Manager
Telephone: 08442 479101
Fax: 01392 825426
Email: adam.clark@exeter.audi.co.uk

Phone him on the number given and make sure he is the chap who phoned you to make sure someone else is not using his name.

If you do go ahead, check the banker's draft with the bank and the vehicle that comes to collect your car will almost certainly have Exeter Audi's name and details on it as well. If it does not phone them to check the details with Exeter Audi before releasing the car.

Good luck.

I'd probably hold out for a bit more, the chances are they have a buyer already lined up so the will be keen to buy, i wouldn't have thought they would be buying the car for stock. I would also call the dealer direct and ask to speak to him, i wouldn't him for a number as these can be false.

Looking at the Exeter Audi website there is an Adam Clark listed as the Used Car Sales Manager.

Name: Adam Clark
Position: Used Car Sales Manager
Telephone: 08442 479101
Fax: 01392 825426
Email: adam.clark@exeter.audi.co.uk

Phone him on the number given and make sure he is the chap who phoned you to make sure someone else is not using his name.

If you do go ahead, check the banker's draft with the bank and the vehicle that comes to collect your car will almost certainly have Exeter Audi's name and details on it as well. If it does not phone them to check the details with Exeter Audi before releasing the car.

Good luck.

Thank's dave this is a massive help ive confirmed it's the real guy , I know im selling it alot cheaper than i should but i just really need to sell the car my misses has a baby like in 2-3 weeks and need to get a 3 series estate and clear my finance once this is done it will be a massive stress off my shoulders , Il be coming back to audi in a few years probably with a a4 estate this time . thanks again dave

hmmm... i've just ordered a sportback with the intention of using it as a baby car!! do you think that the sportback is not big enough?

Thank's dave this is a massive help ive confirmed it's the real guy , I know im selling it alot cheaper than i should but i just really need to sell the car my misses has a baby like in 2-3 weeks and need to get a 3 series estate and clear my finance once this is done it will be a massive stress off my shoulders , Il be coming back to audi in a few years probably with a a4 estate this time . thanks again dave

No problem. Glad to be of help. Hope everything goes well with the new baby.

It's ok if you got one baby but i got a 17th month old and a new baby on the way and i cant get a double buggy in the boot but even with a single trolley and shopping its a push also its a bit of a strugle getting a baby in and out of the car , As space is a little tight and a struggle for the misses you will see when you get your's im not trying to put you off ..

I adore my car as in look's ,But if i could go back when i first bought it i would of got a nice a4 salloon or a 2.0tfsi quattro estate,It's alot more practical for a family , i just dont think a sportback is ....

So i need an saloon or an estate im probably gonna go for an estate cos next year il probably getting a nice labrador puppy so he will be in the boot , and i need the extra room for buggy shopping etc ..

Last edited:
Id ask for a bank transfer before releasing the car - the driver could verify the condition over the phone to the dealer who could then transfer the money, you then check your account online and if all ok release it to the driver

I bought a car last week and the main dealer wouldn't accept a bankers draft as he said since last year a new court ruling now make it possible to cancel them within a week - i ended up paying the balance with a debit card

I wouldn;t rush into selling you may just be experiencing 'Nesting' a term used to describe some sub concious emotions when expecting a child. I have a 3 year old daughter and a son due in June but am confident the SB is big enough especially as within 10 months your daughter is unlikely to want to go in any kind of pushchair so you wil only need space for one buggy, for weekends away etc consider a roof box, cheaper than selling your car for less than its worth, just a thought. Oh ! Congratulations and good luck :)

thanks for the feedback 10. i think we'll go with the S3 sportback for now because it's our first baby and it does look like its enough room... i guess that's because we've compared to the mini cooper s that the mrs has had for less than a year!!

i think when/if we have another child, our next car will be an S4 estate!!

with the recent winter, nothing less than quattro will really do and i'm not a fan of SUVs - they just seem so... cumbersome and not actually that much more room on the inside!!

hmmm... i've just ordered a sportback with the intention of using it as a baby car!! do you think that the sportback is not big enough?

I have 2 lads, one is 5 years old and the other is 11 months. We have no problems getting the kids and what we need in the car. It was the main reason why we got the car.

Hope this helps ~:)