Revo trial

mattdsc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had the revo trial fitted at the weeked and have a question; does the trial software take the car to the 300 plus bhp or is it less? I just havent been blown away by it and thinking it definetely isnt worth £499 plus VAT. I may be being mislead as its the trail rather than the full software, but I thought it was the full software.

If thats the sort of gain I am likely to see, then the Custom Code at a lot less money seems to be a far better option.

Thoughts please!

The trial should give the same performance as the purchased map.

hi mate i have been shot down for saying exactly the same thing you have over on mk5gti forum ! i had revo trial on last weekend and tbh i thought it was rubbish , the guy said the real thing was slightly better which i found odd from a marketing point of view !! so saturday just gone i had custom code put on (£200) less and it is brilliant

Thanks Ginger3. I just wanst blown away by it. People post saying it makes the car a 'beast'...I havent seen that at all. To gain the extra power (IMO) the £499 plus VAT its just not worth it. You could have a Custom Code and some nice other mods for the same price as the Revo.

i had my milltek swapped from res to non res and the remap all for £100 less than revo would have cost me , the cc map is not an aggresive one but is lovely and smooth and pulls hard from 2k rpm to the red line
give jodi a ring at midland vw he did mine tell him i sent you

revo trial software is not the actual software you shall be buying, its a trial and therefore only a taster of what you can have, i just had a quick look on their website and it claims that the trial is typically 80% of the gains you will see from a stag 1 map so there is still a further 20% gain to be had from the real deal

i think that is stupid if they are trying to sell a product it should be better than the real deal if any thing !

revo trial software is not the actual software you shall be buying, its a trial and therefore only a taster of what you can have, i just had a quick look on their website and it claims that the trial is typically 80% of the gains you will see from a stag 1 map so there is still a further 20% gain to be had from the real deal

Never realised that. What a waste of time, these trials must be losing them as many sales as it gains them.

i think that is stupid if they are trying to sell a product it should be better than the real deal if any thing !

where is the benefit in that? if you payed 500 plus for the real deal and found it worse than the trial you would be even more annoyed. I think its a good idea as far as marketing the product goes

i think the idea is more to do with letting the customer feel the power delivery of the map and to see if its suited to your style of driving etc

I,m with Gingers3 on this one......if your selling a product surely the trial should be amazing making you buy the full version.........I have GIAC which is also slightly cheaper and its awesome.

so if you went to test drive a new S3 and the guy said this ones only got a 1.6 fsi engine in but the one you get will have the 2.0 tfsi you would think thats a good idea too ? do you get my point ?

where is the benefit in that? if you payed 500 plus for the real deal and found it worse than the trial you would be even more annoyed. I think its a good idea as far as marketing the product goes

i think the idea is more to do with letting the customer feel the power delivery of the map and to see if its suited to your style of driving etc

Why would you pay £500 for the rear deal and find it worse than the trial?

I think the marketing idea is great in theory, but if it doesn't give you an idea of what you'd actually get for your money, how can it really be called a trial?

but if that was the case you would feel robbed by revo, think of it as a software product just like an anti-virus software they offer similar things, trial deals which offer the basic set up if your happy with it you then buy the full package which has a few added extra to make it better

but if that was the case you would feel robbed by revo, think of it as a software product just like an anti-virus software they offer similar things, trial deals which offer the basic set up if your happy with it you then buy the full package which has a few added extra to make it better

Rubbish, trial software is often just limited in time. If the point of the software is to increase the performance, for the trial to "increase a bit" is hardly representative of what a full purchase will get you.

I can only assume it's a technical limitation of how the trial goes onto the ECU, as there is no way they'd do this if they could do a proper trial.

Why would you pay £500 for the rear deal and find it worse than the trial?

I think the marketing idea is great in theory, but if it doesn't give you an idea of what you'd actually get for your money, how can it really be called a trial?

thats what im saying sorry for the confusion, people are saying that the trial should be better than the full package which doesnt make any sense

if you like the trial and bought the full package which was worse than the trial you would be raging as you have just forked out 500 quid it would also be misleading which may have legal implications

thats what im saying sorry for the confusion, people are saying that the trial should be better than the full package which doesnt make any sense

if you like the trial and bought the full package which was worse than the trial you would be raging as you have just forked out 500 quid it would also be misleading which may have legal implications

Well that's just stupid, a trial is never going to give more than the full product. But we agree, Revo have f*cked up with this.

If you're serious about a map, maybe better to just go somewhere that offers a money back guarantee. If you're really not happy, have it swapped back.

sorry you have mis understood what i said , the trial to me should be at least as good as what you get other wise i dont see the point

Ok fair point i'll re phrase what i said before,the trial software should be a taster of the full software you are thinking of buying nothing more and certainly nothing less !

Well that's just stupid, a trial is never going to give more than the full product. .

exactly

another option could be to find someone close to you with the full product and go for a run with them to make up your mind

Well that's just stupid, a trial is never going to give more than the full product. But we agree, Revo have f*cked up with this.

If you're serious about a map, maybe better to just go somewhere that offers a money back guarantee. If you're really not happy, have it swapped back.
apparently revo do this now but i was nt told about it ! tbh i dont think full blown revo could be any better than the custom code for me any way and its £200 less , no brainer for me :icon_thumright:

Great discussion. I didn’t know that it was 80% of the complete remap, that makes sense of my lack of enthusiasm to commit to purchasing it. How daft to not let the trial be a true indication of what you can have. It has really made me move towards the Custom Code. The only difference I have been advised of is the way the power is presented, as in it is more 'brutal/instant' where as the CC is a smoother delievery, For a saving of over £200 I'll be taking the CC and a set of H&R springs![FONT=&quot][/FONT]

you could always try superchips, if you don't like it you send it back, i think its 7 days ... and its a full version !

you could always try superchips, if you don't like it you send it back, i think its 7 days ... and its a full version !

30 day money back guarantee with AMD maps. It shows their confidence in their product.

Got some good news for you.. You wont be able to get any other remap now other than revo now that you'v had the trial. Revo software its protected from it being read from the ecu, so no other company will be able to remap your car now. Having said that the full software is much better than the trial. So no it doesnt loose revo customers, the customers dont have a choice but to get the full revo

surely you can revert the ecu back to standard (wipe the ecu as some call it) and then upload another or different map?

Got some good news for you.. You wont be able to get any other remap now other than revo now that you'v had the trial. Revo software its protected from it being read from the ecu, so no other company will be able to remap your car now. Having said that the full software is much better than the trial. So no it doesnt loose revo customers, the customers dont have a choice but to get the full revo

I think you will find it can :)

Are you sure about this? Doesn't sound right to me at all:think: If they did something like that surely it is against a persons right to have whatever they want rather than being forced to have something they don't want and having no other choice..Hmm...Would surely pop up on Watchdog? lol :)

surely you can revert the ecu back to standard (wipe the ecu as some call it) and then upload another or different map?

Yes you can by either reflashing the ecu by removing it (i think) or asking revo or a revo dealer to load the stock software back, otherwise its locked to revo after a trial. Im not saying its impossible for someone else to map just its a lot more difficult as the software is protected. If you think about it the ecu code for the revo remap will still be on the ecu even after the trial has finished and revo wouldnt want anyone to read that (eg to copy it).

Last edited:

No way.....cant believe that. Thats nuts. How can a manufacturer do that. The ECU is not owned by them or produced by them, that would be stupid to do that. I will contact the guy that did it and see what he says. I did see a file called 'stock' on his PC when he did the trial remap, perhaps thats what it is. I need to find the answer to this 100% as dont want to be tunneled into using the Revo.

The reason the trial map is not 100% is because the ECU needs to adapt, the 3 hour trial will not give it enough time. I'm sure the map is the same, just needs time.
I've got to say, I've had a few cars now, all mapped by different companies including GIAC, HPA, REVO and Superchips and the company I came back to was REVO, there software is tried and tested around the world in every possible situation. They have excellent local support and offer upgrades along the way. Even the opportunity to adjust settings with the select unit. If you’re not impressed with the Revo then you will not find another map that will knock your socks off.
OK, you could save yourself a few quid, but from my experience, the Revo is smooth where it needs to be, aggressive where it should be in all conditions and it's never missed a beat! If HPA were local and offered maps in the UK I would also consider them again, I had to send them my ECU last time....

The reason the trial map is not 100% is because the ECU needs to adapt, the 3 hour trial will not give it enough time. I'm sure the map is the same, just needs time.
I've got to say, I've had a few cars now, all mapped by different companies including GIAC, HPA, REVO and Superchips and the company I came back to was REVO, there software is tried and tested around the world in every possible situation. They have excellent local support and offer upgrades along the way. Even the opportunity to adjust settings with the select unit. If you’re not impressed with the Revo then you will not find another map that will knock your socks off.
OK, you could save yourself a few quid, but from my experience, the Revo is smooth where it needs to be, aggressive where it should be in all conditions and it's never missed a beat! If HPA were local and offered maps in the UK I would also consider them again, I had to send them my ECU last time....

The ECU won't adjust by a further 20%. There has to surely be a technical limitation of the trial. I would assume some of the settings cannot be altered in the trial mode, due to the way it reverts after a period of time.

I am looking at remaps at the moment - initially looked at Revo, but then looked at CC. Revo stage 1 is 499+VAT and stage 2 is £50 extra. CC may be cheaper for stage 1, but then for stage 2, its another large bunch of cash to get to stage 2.

Revo definately offer 30 day money back guarantee as well.

The ECU won't adjust by a further 20%. There has to surely be a technical limitation of the trial. I would assume some of the settings cannot be altered in the trial mode, due to the way it reverts after a period of time.

Possibly, but as you say, why would they limit the trial map? Kinda against the trend of sales....
Following this up, I got my sisters GTI Revo'd on the trail map and she didn't notice a thing. I just thought she didn't know what she was talking about and I got the full map applied anyway. She still didn't notice after that. It took her a day or so after and she came back to me saying the car flys now. At the time I enquired about it and the response I got was exactly what I stated earlier, it needs to adapt. I can ask her now and she'll say she doesn't notice a thing, but if I turn the map off with the Select unit she complains that there is something wrong with the car and it feels slow. Says it all really.

Im genuinely surprised to hear the negative experiences with REVO.

I have experience with REVOd MK5 Gtis, MK4 Gtis (Petrol and Derv) and more recently my S3.
And each time I have been impressed with the increase in performance, dealer service and HQ afterservice.

I only ran the trial for about 10mins on the S3, thats all it took to notice a significant difference in performance. Then promptly returned for the full map. Which was better again.
And then better again over the subsequent days as things adapted.

I do think REVO need to look at they pricing though, I paid it because I had experience and confidence in the product. Not everyone does and I think the pricing puts potential `new`customers off.
But then again, REVO are a HUGE outfit in relative tuning terms and I would guess that is for good reason, so maybe they can be a little arrogant with their pricing.

I had read good things about about other tuners and maps, but for the sake of £50-100 I stuck with what I know and havent looked back. I reckon I got that back 10 fold anyway with some of the Tech support Ive had in the past from REVO HQ.

Remember, it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that these REVO maps have the correct Timing, Boost , Fuel setting to get the full benefit. The settings dont have to be out by much to make a big difference in performance.

And for the record, the trial software IS NOT the same as the full paid up version. Its more of a free `sample` than a `free trial`.
If you are considering REVO, then personally I wouldnt bother with the trial/sample, just go and raid your piggy bank and get the full map.

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
I am looking at remaps at the moment - initially looked at Revo, but then looked at CC. Revo stage 1 is 499+VAT and stage 2 is £50 extra. CC may be cheaper for stage 1, but then for stage 2, its another large bunch of cash to get to stage 2.

Its not really just £50 extra, you need specific hardware to complete the remap, so its a BIG leap then.

• Turbo back exhaust without pre-cat and either decat or highflow catalytic convertor (3.0" recommended)
  • Cold Air intake (from turbo inlet pipe to front of car replacing factory airbox for best gains)
  • Uprated HPFP required for Stage 2+ software

Your posts are misleading, you dont even own a 2.0tfsi engined car and your commenting on tuning software for them???
I have had the trial revo software and i now run the full version and there is a BIG difference in performance FACT.

Just to clear this up for anyone may be reading.

Davie

Which is why i have just bought a full TBE Milltek!

Give CC a call and ask about stage 2.

The answer i got when i spoke to the guys at CC was a CAI, Full exhaust, intercooler, and then 350 for the stage 2 map on top of the 360 for stage 1......

Your posts are misleading, you dont even own a 2.0tfsi engined car and your commenting on tuning software for them???
I have had the trial revo software and i now run the full version and there is a BIG difference in performance FACT.
Davie

I have owned several turbocharged cars in the past with and without remaps. I have driven various 2.0 TFSI cars again with and without remaps.

Why the hell should I not comment? I have a reasonable enough understanding of tuning products thanks!

As you seem to like arrogant bold text: I DID NOT SAY THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TRIAL AND FULL VERSION. I SAID I ASSUMED THERE WOULD BE A TECHNICAL REASON WHY THE TRIAL DOES NOT OFFER THE SAME PERFORMANCE, AND THIS WOULD NOT BE AN INTENTIONAL MARKETING STRATEGY