Fan style windscreen washers

AR-CoolC

Reaction score
Website
www.tdisport.com
Hi All, I'm sure this will have been covered before, but the search function wasn't showing anything.

I have a MY2010 A3 which has "normal" stream type washer jets. On my previous Octavia (and previous to that Leon) I had the fan spray type washer, which I personally think are much better.

For all you part number guru's out there. Is there a fan washer for the 8P A3? and if so what are the part numbers, and is it a straight sawp?

TIA

HAve you done a search, I'm sure I've read threads about this before, IIRC Passat ones fit, maybe...

Im sure they took the washer's from a passat if i remember correctly, and yes its a straight swap IIRC.

Thanks Chaps, now I know what to search for I found a few threads.

For anyone else interested the part number for the Passat washers appears to be 5MO 955 986 9B9 at around £14 each.

I'll do a bit more digging to ensure they are a direct replacement (there are a few mentions of the replacements being loose) and get back to this thread.

Hi - I agree the fan type are much better and am interested in doing the same swap. However the washers on my 2005 2.0tdi sportback are heated ( at least they have two wires connected to them ) and I wonder if the Passatt ones are as well. Thanks for the part number - pity my Etka only has Audi. Look forward to your follow-up

Standard on my lupo too, weird that bottom of the range 10 year old vw's get them but new A3's don't!

PJMspeedy can supply the Passat ones for thoses that are too lazy to try a dealership. He had them sent to me within a few days but I have yet to fit them on.

Speaking with some other guru's here the Passat ones are supposed to be a direct replacement even for the S3.

Will update this thread when I get around to this.

Thanks
Pii

Thanks Chaps, now I know what to search for I found a few threads.

For anyone else interested the part number for the Passat washers appears to be 5MO 955 986 9B9 at around £14 each.

I'll do a bit more digging to ensure they are a direct replacement (there are a few mentions of the replacements being loose) and get back to this thread.

Ask Staz, he fitted some last yeaar.

yep thats right as the bonnets are the same id consider it, though tbh im too lazy to adjust my washer jets so i dont know about fitting a new set :p

4?? You get a fan spray on each side of the windscreen. Check out the FAQs thread to see what it looks like.

They're a direct swap though yes :icon_thumright:

And does the swap allow me to keep the heated windshield nozzles that's std on the cold weather package?

And does the swap allow me to keep the heated windshield nozzles that's std on the cold weather package?

Side track question but what is the cold weather package?

4?? You get a fan spray on each side of the windscreen. Check out the FAQs thread to see what it looks like.

They're a direct swap though yes :icon_thumright:

yeah i recall someone fitting ones and getting more jets, mind you could just be my memory

Mine hasn't got heated seats or ski bag or , in fact, a slot for the skis but it does have heated mirrors and washer jets ! :icon_thumright:

PJMspeedy can supply the Passat ones for thoses that are too lazy to try a dealership. He had them sent to me within a few days but I have yet to fit them on.

Speaking with some other guru's here the Passat ones are supposed to be a direct replacement even for the S3.

Will update this thread when I get around to this.

Thanks
Pii

Right... finally got round to this which is techincally my first ever mod.

It was a pretty straight forward job as most people explained on previous threads, even for someone like me who is incapable of mechnical work :sadlike:

Anyway so the process is pretty much
- unclip the old washer jets with a flathead screwdriver
- remove two wires connected - 1 being the water pump and the other being the heated wires (both pretty straight forward)
- connect the wires to the new fan washer
- clip the washer jet back in place (the clips are not quite the same as the old ones but overall it fits). Be careful not to be over forceful as you could break the clip as I did. Thankfully the broken side clip didnt affect the over fitting of the washer.
- the end product is maybe a 1mm gap at the front of the washer jets - has anyone else experienced this problem?

Fan shape washers are pretty good and appear to reach the whole screen in one shot. Only thing is i finished testing and my car appears to have been sprayed on the roof and on the sides of the car. :think:

Reactions: Wil147
Fan shape washers are pretty good and appear to reach the whole screen in one shot. Only thing is i finished testing and my car appears to have been sprayed on the roof and on the sides of the car. :think:

The funny thing about the fan jets is if you adjust them so that they don't spray the roof when stationary you'll find the spray is too low when you're driving. You're better of testing them when driving and adjust as necessary. It took me a few stop starts down the road but it was done once and they've been perfect ever since.

The funny thing about the fan jets is if you adjust them so that they don't spray the roof when stationary you'll find the spray is too low when you're driving. You're better of testing them when driving and adjust as necessary. It took me a few stop starts down the road but it was done once and they've been perfect ever since.

Hey Staz

It didn't occur to me this was possible. How do you adjust them?

Both washers side by side - the clips are different but overall fan washers will fit it.
P1080902.jpg

Last edited:
There's a tiny grub screw on the side or front or somewhere mate, I can't remember off hand.

Thanks again Staz

I'll take a look at it tommorrow to see if I can tweak the washer so that they do not spray innocent pederstrians nearby my car, despite how much fun this would seem :)

This just made my car feel even older! Having owned a few VW's before going into Audi it is weird that the lesser brand has slicker washer jets, aw jeeeeez :confused:

Got my fan jets today(thanks Paul)
I installed them ,tried them and reinstalled my old ones,
They are not for me,
Any one want cheap heated fan jets????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Martin

Not a good enough fit, ,
if they fitted correctly they would be gr8,as the fan spray is spot on,
I just dont think filling the (small) gap with silicone or RTV looks good,
Just not how i roll

Been looking at the pic in the earlier post of each unit side by side. Could the two be combined so the 'workings' of the Passat could be incorparted into the body of the Audi one?

Not a good enough fit, ,
if they fitted correctly they would be gr8,as the fan spray is spot on,
I just dont think filling the (small) gap with silicone or RTV looks good,
Just not how i roll

The size of the aperture for the washer jet unit must have changed. On my 2009 Sportback they fit just the same as the original washer jet unit. I tried a set of the fan-type and they fitted perfectly but I personally preferred the original 3-jet unit so I swopped them back.

I'm interested in these but only if the fit is good. Has anyone fitted these to a 2008 model car?

As I said in post 13 up there /\ they're a straight swap yes.

As I said in post 13 up there /\ they're a straight swap yes.

Only trying to help the poster who asked if anyone had fitted them to a 2008 model to whom you gave the sortest possible answer. There is no need to be sarky!

Got my fan jets today(thanks Paul)
I installed them ,tried them and reinstalled my old ones,
They are not for me,
Any one want cheap heated fan jets????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Martin

I'll take them off your hands - pm me with a price :)

Can't I just put a mesh screen in front of my current jet so that the streams scatter?

Just fitted mine tonight but have a problem (apart from the gap) - the passenger side wires wont reach the plug connection on the jet? the connectors on the fan jets are facing the other way to the origionals and i can't stretch the wire enough to plug it in - anyone else had this problem?

Just fitted mine tonight but have a problem (apart from the gap) - the passenger side wires wont reach the plug connection on the jet? the connectors on the fan jets are facing the other way to the origionals and i can't stretch the wire enough to plug it in - anyone else had this problem?

Mine was a little tight initially but I was able to tug the wires out a little so they stretched far enough although this was no real challenge.

When was your car registered as someone else on the forum might be able to provide some insight but may need some more details.