Freezing doors

neil-A3

Reaction score
As some of you know, A3's have this habit of the doors freezing shut when temp of about -2 :cold: occur, mine is no exception.

It would seems it is worst when it has either just rained during the day, snow or ice has defrosted and then frozen again.

I had taken mine in several times to my local dealer, they have been really good about all of it, Last Thursday I get a call from Katherine to tell me she has received correspondance from Audi about this matter, it went a little like this " Audi are aware of some A3's having issues with the doors freezing shut and will be sending a lubricant to fix the issue"

This Thursday she calls me to tell me that the lubricant is in and asks if I can bring the car down to have the lubricant applied, I went in on Friday and had this applied, she gave me the bottle as they were unsure on how much to apply and said I can re-apply more if it does not work. :readit:

If anyone is interested the part number in G 052 172 A1 so you can let your local dealers know Audi have recommended this, Katherine has asked me to keep her updated on the success or failure of this, I will also keep you informed as well.

Neil

nice to know they are doing something!

I just use a silcone spray on my door rubbers, seems to help

this sounds like the old trick of applying Vaseline around the rubber on the doors to stop them freezing shut? Right up there with heating your car key with a cigarette lighter to defrost the door locks!

Not really on topic, but on the A5 which are pillar-less doors, the window has to slide down automatically a fraction when you open the door to clear the door shuts, when the car is frozen up it doesn't do the little automatic thing and I managed on several occasions to get the door open but then couldn't shut it for love nor money and ended up doing my 10 mile journey on cold frosty mornings with a lovely draft round my neck with a door that wasn't properly closed!! Drove me nuts.

this sounds like the old trick of applying Vaseline around the rubber on the doors to stop them freezing shut? Right up there with heating your car key with a cigarette lighter to defrost the door locks!

your showing your age! Cars have remote locking these days! ;-)

Does this spray also apply to the window freezing shut ? ie the drop glasses?

mmm, I was flamed few years ago for suggesting using vaseline on door rubbers - vaseline rots rubber I was told. . . . .