Chris NottVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

MTM Air Filter Panel

Hi all,

I was thinking about getting a milltek tbe with a MTM stage 2 remap and would also like more airflow into the engine. I don't want to chop up the engine cover or leave the engine exposed so I was thinking of getting this installed for air flow duties:

http://www.mtm-online.de/en/shop?article=16

Do you think this is a viable option and would it make any difference.

Haz
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    TBH will make little difference as you will still be using the oem intake which is very restrictive.
    The only way to go is a large bore intake such as ITG (which i have) or EVOMS,FORGE etc.
    The increase in air my car is sucking in now is immense with a 3 1/2 inch intake,and performance gains unreal with the GIAC software.
    Yes the engine bay looks a little ugly with the cover removed .....but then i dont drive around with the bonnet open! Besides the size of the ITG kit takes your eyes off it !

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Is that really a 150 panel filter? Just get a Pipercross one for 35!
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

1st Gear

Status
    Its 120 for the panel from QST yeah, ive ordered it tho so I'll see if it makes a difference, if not I will wait till someone comes up with a kit where you can keep the engine cover.

Haz
    Audi S3 8P2 | Merlin Purple | Black Optics | Recaro Bucket Seats | Privacy Glass | Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights | Bluetooth Phone Prep. | MTM Stage 2 | Milltek TBE | ITG Stage 2 Induction Kit | Odyssey Racing 40 Battery | Rev D DV | Denso IK24 Spark Plugs | RS4 Pressure Regulator Valve | TTS Engine cover | To do: Autotech HPFP

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Haz1 View Post
    Its 120 for the panel
    thats a rip off! try the BMC panel filter about 40-50

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

Status
    Its 120 for the panel from QST yeah, ive ordered it tho so I'll see if it makes a difference, if not I will wait till someone comes up with a kit where you can keep the engine cover.

Haz
    Unbelievable, every other panel on the market is under 50! That's a lot of money for the 3 letters...

If you want to keep the engine cover, your best bet is something like a Carbonio / CarbonSpeed intake that replaces the standard intake. Not as much power as a full CAI, but leaves the engine bay together.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Boycie

Status
    Holy crap! Thats some price for a panel filter! My ITG one cost me 20 lol

4th Gear

Status
    Is there any benefit from changing just the panel?
    8P S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ollie View Post
    Is there any benefit from changing just the panel?
    It will flow better than a paper filter. It's usually 30-50 well spent, but not worth 120.

6th Gear

Status
    I had exactly the same reservations about removing the engine cover and fitting the Evoms but you soon get used to the look and if you what the gains there is little option with the panel filters and even the carbonio being quite a big compromise. MTM - you are paying for a name and certainly not worth 120.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

5th Gear

Status
    VW racing want 75 for a panel filter. I know what you mean about cutting the cover up though, i don't want to cut mine up either.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    VW racing want 75 for a panel filter. I know what you mean about cutting the cover up though, i don't want to cut mine up either.
    Does the VW Racing logo give more bhp than the Pipercross logo do you think?

3rd Gear

Status
    Or fit a CAI and modify your OEM cover to fit

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Does the VW Racing logo give more bhp than the Pipercross logo do you think?
    I think its the extra hours labour to remove all traces of the pipercross logo and put it in a gift bag with some sparkly bits that adds to the cost, still its not all their fault the govenment are to blame for putting VAT on it
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
    I think its the extra hours labour to remove all traces of the pipercross logo and put it in a gift bag with some sparkly bits that adds to the cost, still its not all their fault the govenment are to blame for putting VAT on it
    Gotcha, that makes sense.

Still better value than the 65 MTM charge to take the ITG logo off a filter and put theirs on it!!

Reverse Gear

Status

Haz
    Did it make much observable difference?

I got the MTM filter when I got their stage 2 remap and Miltek TBE, same as you (think we discussed in another post). Barry from Glasgow Audi reckoned it would add a few BHP and be worth it while I was getting the rest done. Seemed like a small price when compared to the rest, so was happy to go for it.

Of course, going from stock S3 to remap+exhaust+filter in one go means I've no idea whether the filter alone was worthwhile. The whole package is awesome and I'm really pleased with it, so just asking out of curiosity!

Neutral

Status
    Probably not as he soon went for the ITG intake not long after...
    Audi S3 Facelift | IBIS White | Revo Stg 2 | EVOMS | Milltek TBE | H&R | TD Pro Race 1.2

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    Did it make much observable difference?

I got the MTM filter when I got their stage 2 remap and Miltek TBE, same as you (think we discussed in another post). Barry from Glasgow Audi reckoned it would add a few BHP and be worth it while I was getting the rest done. Seemed like a small price when compared to the rest, so was happy to go for it.

Of course, going from stock S3 to remap+exhaust+filter in one go means I've no idea whether the filter alone was worthwhile. The whole package is awesome and I'm really pleased with it, so just asking out of curiosity!
    I would say it made a difference at higher speeds and also a little change to throttle response, but I found an induction kit which allows me to keep the engine cover (well the TTS one) while not giving the aftermarket darth vader noise lol, the ITG stage 2 induction kit made a huge difference tho!

1st Gear

Status
    For that kind of money i would rather spend 80 more and get the carbon speed intake which looks nice and you don't have to mess with your engine cover and you will have a greater increase in power over just the filter.
    2008 Audi S3
    REVO Stage 1