AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quattro Drive

Status

Big brake options

I've had a search about and can't find anything that would really answer this for me...

I'm waiting for my 170 TDi BE to arrive and was thinking about a big brake conversion fairly soon after it does but wasn't sure what the options were and how much work is involved so I was just looking to see what people had done and how much it cost.

I can happily fit them myself so long as there is no major fabrication involved, like for calipers if you put a bigger set of rotors on-that kind of thing.

Thanks

Dan
    Ibis White 2.0 TDi 170 Quattro Black Edition

LOOKING FOR - Black facelift wingmirrors
    FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    how about some S3 brakes there is a fair difference in performance between the standard brakes and the S3 ones

or there is a guy on eastside selling brembos to fit the a3

http://www.eastsidevw.co.uk/Forum/vi...php?f=10&t=943

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Quattro Drive

Status
    thanks for that simon.

yeah, an s3 setup sounds good to me, plus they look pretty smart behind the alloys. any ideas if they are a direct replacement or need spacers for the rotors or calipers or anything?

FOR SALE - 312mm discs, pads, complete calipers and pipes - Only 500 miles on them from new! 275+Delivery

5th Gear

Status
    far as im aware they should just be straight swap

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan! View Post
    thanks for that simon.

yeah, an s3 setup sounds good to me, plus they look pretty smart behind the alloys. any ideas if they are a direct replacement or need spacers for the rotors or calipers or anything?
    Yeah they'll go straight on. Also look out for 3.2 brakes as they're the same but without the S3 logos.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Quattro Drive

Status
    Excellent... Love it when an evil plan comes together! Wonder if anyone will be selling S3's soon...

4th Gear

Status
    Wonder if anyone will be selling S3's soon...
    Join the queue :P

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

Boycie

Status
    Are you planning on tuning the car? no real point in upgrading the brakes if you are not upgrading the power

Just get better pads.

Quattro Drive

Status
    I actually have a plug and play job already that should see 440NM and 220bhp (ish). I know its not supercar fast, but I would still like some bigger brakes I think. I have lots of back roads where I live so they will quite often get a work out with any luck!

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    You will not get over 200 bhp without removing the DPF.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

Quattro Drive

Status
    Right... Well close then? lol.

It's not like the standard 170 is bad by any stretch, just fancied a little bit more! I did think that you would be able to get more power than that before getting rid of the DPF, is it just really restrictive then?

Neutral

Status
    I did the brakes off a 3.2 Q on my car, I did Revo stage 1 with Milltek TBE and I have some real fun backroads close by, car is a lot of fun and the brakes are up to the task, much shorter stopping then stock and no fade at least where I am

Quattro Drive

Status
    ok, maybe the 3.2 is the way to go then since S3 brakes seem to be like hen's teeth!

Status
    ok, maybe the 3.2 is the way to go then since S3 brakes seem to be like hen's teeth!
    As the're basically the same thing - but without a S3 badge on them, they're just as rare.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Quattro Drive

Status
    Drat and blast! Thought that I was onto a winner there. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for either then!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I'm running 4 pot R8 brakes on my 2.0TDI...

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Quattro Drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    I'm running 4 pot R8 brakes on my 2.0TDI...
    How much did that setup set you back if you don't mind me asking?

On a different note, I spend time visiting the parents in the States quite often and was thinking that it might be easier to find a set of calipers there since most are 3.2's? So long as someone can confirm that the fittings would be the same (why would they be different?!)?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I paid 1k, my guy has a few calipers left, GT3RS, 996 4 pot turbo calipers, so can tailor you something really nice...gimme a shout if you need any more help

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Quattro Drive

Status
    thanks N8, I want them bad but will have to save up if its going to be 1k... bet they feel good tho!

6th Gear

Status
    TBH unless you venture on track the standard S3 brakes will be more than up to the job IMO - even at stage 2+ unless you are mental

Don't kid us you want them for performance, have em cos they are sexy !!!

I have a real brake fetish and I think if it's worth doing do it properly, save the money and get the best you can afford, keep the oem and come resale a decent BBK will always be worth good money.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Quattro Drive

Status
    Sounds good! And yes I also have a bit of a brake fetish too so I want them for looks as well as extra performance...

Thanks for all the help guys, think I'll start saving for something good while I still can!

Neutral

Status

On a different note, I spend time visiting the parents in the States quite often and was thinking that it might be easier to find a set of calipers there since most are 3.2's? So long as someone can confirm that the fittings would be the same (why would they be different?!)?
    Dan, they only give us the 312 front's and 286 solid rears in the US, I had to piece mine thru etka and had a friend that works at a dealer source them for me. Make sure you get the front brake lines and j-pipes since these are different for the 3.2 /S3 brake kit, also a kit from an MKV R32 will bolt right on also(same as 3.2 except painted blue at the factory)

Quattro Drive

Status
    That's a shame, I wonder why they give you smaller brake rotors?! I'm probably wrong but that looks like the size that is on already, or close to it. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for some 3.2/S3's or save for a propper BBK...

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    My front brakes. Hi Spec mega monster 6 with 355mm cross drilled discs
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

thanks N8, I want them bad but will have to save up if its going to be 1k... bet they feel good tho!
    Start saving then They look and feel fantastic, I have S3 rears as well

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post
    TBH unless you venture on track the standard S3 brakes will be more than up to the job IMO - even at stage 2+ unless you are mental
    I disagree with this Mart, as brake horse power increases, then you need to increase the braking power. I don't have 100% confidence driving Matt's 360bhp Stage II + with standard brakes, at high speeds its abit But then it depends on how you drive....

The King of Cannock

Status
    Also look out for MK5 Golf R32 Brakes I picked a full set up on ebay fronts rears with disks and pads for 270 I've cleaned them all up and sprayed them as i didnt want the blue.

There the same as the S3 and 3.2 brakes

Chris

Air, OZ, Tarrox, on a TDI

Rarely neutral

Status
    I disagree with this Mart, as brake horse power increases, then you need to increase the braking power. I don't have 100% confidence driving Matt's 360bhp Stage II + with standard brakes, at high speeds its abit But then it depends on how you drive....
    Totally agree...the standard S3 brakes were designed with 260bhp in mind,and not 360+bhp.

My next addition is a set of big brakes.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Totally agree...the standard S3 brakes were designed with 260bhp in mind,and not 360+bhp.

You agree, cuz your a good lad Alex, gimme a shout when your ready as my guy has some AP 4 pot and 6 pot stuff in now also. Cheers.

Rarely neutral

Status
    You agree, cuz your a good lad Alex, gimme a shout when your ready as my guy has some AP 4 pot and 6 pot stuff in now also. Cheers.
    Is that kits to fit the current S3?...if so excellent!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Yes Alex, I wouldn't suggest to you 8L kits lol

Rarely neutral

Status
    Yes Alex, I wouldn't suggest to you 8L kits lol
    LOL...I've just twigged that....long day here at the grindstone!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post

I have to disagree, the B7 S4 has the same brakes all around as the S3 (Rear rotor is actually smaller at 300mm instead of 310) and that car is a good 5oolbs heavier and produces 340, the S3 brakes should be up to the task way up to 350+

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by NY_Sportback View Post
    S3 brakes should be up to the task way up to 350+
    Well they ain't

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Sportback View Post
    I have to disagree, the B7 S4 has the same brakes all around as the S3 (Rear rotor is actually smaller at 300mm instead of 310) and that car is a good 5oolbs heavier and produces 340, the S3 brakes should be up to the task way up to 350+
    Having got the same brakes on my V6, I agree they're not bad for standard brakes - 345mm is a fairly large disc, and it stops well. However with a lot more bhp, particularly if I was looking to get out on a track, I'd want something a bit more serious.

6th Gear

Status
    Well my good news is that after an initial development that started back in July last year my car goes in for the final fitting at AP racing next wednesday, the Kit will be a 6 pot drilled and grooved set up with new lightweight bell housings, braided lines etc and will be available for general sale following next weeks testing. It won't be cheap at approx 2K but if considering serious power upgrades or occasional track use it may be worth adding to your wish list.

Once its up and running I'll post a review with plenty of pics and some more in depth details as I'm leaving a camera with them for this very purpose.

It's good to have plenty of options.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    My front brakes. Hi Spec mega monster 6 with 355mm cross drilled discs
    Gorgeous !!

Neutral

Status
    Well my good news is that after an initial development that started back in July last year my car goes in for the final fitting at AP racing next wednesday, the Kit will be a 6 pot drilled and grooved set up with new lightweight bell housings, braided lines etc and will be available for general sale following next weeks testing. It won't be cheap at approx 2K but if considering serious power upgrades or occasional track use it may be worth adding to your wish list.

Once its up and running I'll post a review with plenty of pics and some more in depth details as I'm leaving a camera with them for this very purpose.

2k is a painful hit but when your running high power its better to be safe than sorry i suppose, out of curiosity do you know the cost of replacement rotors? i remember when i had my VXR a lot of the lads with the AP set up werent so happy when they had to replace them due to cost

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

My guy could have sorted this realising it now, for A HELL OF ALOT less than 2K.

Quattro Drive

Status
    Yeah, 2k is maybe a bit much for a new set of brakes on a diesel... I would love them though obviously!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast