JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Euro Car Parts any good?!?

Gents/Gals,

I am considering a new MAF for my 3.2, have spoken to Audi and they quoted Ł126-18 on an exchange basis. I have had a look at the Euro Car Parts website and they are quoting Ł77.73 and a Ł29.38 surcharge.

They have the following clause about surcharges....
    Surcharges

Certain items that we carry here at Euro Car Parts have been reconditioned. These items will carry an additional 'Surcharge' amount or 'Refundable Deposit'. This cost is automatically added to your Shopping Basket when you select a reconditioned item.
    When we receive your old unit back, the surcharge amount will be refunded to you as soon as the item has been checked by our returns department.
    Before returning your old unit please ensure that it is in a re-serviceable condition. For example, Caliper casings should not be badly damaged or broken. Euro Car Parts reserves the right not to refund the surcharge if it is found that the unit is unserviceable

Does this mean that the part that I would be buying is 'reconditioned' and not a new part?! Also what if I didn't return my old unit, would I just lose my surcharge?!

Cheers!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clem2192 View Post
    Does this mean that the part that I would be buying is 'reconditioned' and not a new part?!
    Possibly, but I doubt with something like a MAF it would make that much difference, the housing is just plastic, and they replace the sensor. New ones aren't by any means bulletproof.

Also what if I didn't return my old unit, would I just lose my surcharge?!
    I'd say so, yes.

I know bucket loads of folk who use their stuff for general repairs. Some of it comes direct from the OEM manufacturers anyway, and they've been in business well over 10 years so they must be reliable as businesses go.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    So would you say that a re-con unit would be as good as a new one?!

I would have thought that there was more of a come back on a new unit.

Has anyone else brought a MAF from Euro Car Parts?! Any reviews?!

Status
    You should have as much comeback on an ECP recon as a new one, because you have consumer statutory rights, but I would check the T&C's of the warranty on the recon unit.

Personally I don't see why a recon one would perform any differently to a new one, as I'm pretty sure it all it does is measure volumetric air flow rates and intake air temps. A recon one would have to perform at the same tolerances to be passed as fit for sale.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the info, will have a look into their T&Cs regarding recon units. Failing that will give them a call

3rd Gear

Status
    Get the genuine mate to be safe mate its not worth the risk,plus also the other trouble we have with eurocar parts/gsf types of places is at work for instance: when i wanted some anniversary springs for my golf they said get a reg no. of an anniversary and we will order them as for that car which i did but when the springs came they were still standard springs infact higher than the gttdi ones i had taken off,then they got annoying and defencive because i wanted money back,the problem is there computers recognise the cars from the reg numbers and tell them what they are but the computer only treats them in a kind of way as diesel golf = one type of shocker where as the dealers there maybe loads,as we all know there are different coloured spots on paint on springs = various infomation of height & load rating etc.There system isnt as bad as described but on certain points its pretty limited and they dont like paying out if there wrong.

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

1st Gear

Status
    How do I know that one I would be getting from Audi would be new and not a recon unit from Bosch? As said above, surely if I get a 12mth manufactures warranty on a recon unit it's as good.
    Have found another supplier of a recon unit direct from Bosch with 12mth warranty and not exchange for Ł101 delivered.

6th Gear

Status
    have you tried to clean it yet?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    How do I know that one I would be getting from Audi would be new and not a recon unit from Bosch? As said above, surely if I get a 12mth manufactures warranty on a recon unit it's as good.
    Have found another supplier of a recon unit direct from Bosch with 12mth warranty and not exchange for Ł101 delivered.
    The one you get from Audi will also be a re-con. This is why they offer exchange. Before VW offered exchanges on MAF sensors, they were a lot more cash than they are now.

A re-con is as good as new - it's only the casing, etc. they'll re-use. The element - the part that fails, will be new.

Euro Car Parts are as good as most large motor factors - average at best.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!