HID KIt

dex140

Reaction score
Has anyone got one of the cheap HID kits fitted, I know when I had my seat they used to be pretty well rated on seatcupra.net however I was just wondering everones opinion on here?

I have them fitted 600k on my 2006 a3 and i must say look good but you will to make sure you get decoding boxes along with digital ballasts other wise they will send up a lightbulb out signal on the dash and there has been roomers that they blow your wipper motors but aint happend to me and ive had them in for about 6 months now.. i would say get them there so much better than any other lights ive used befor..

G

If we never did anything illegal the world would be a very dull place ;)

May be but it would also be a much safer place as well. In this case it's illegal because it affects other road users. Badly set-up HIDs can be a real danger to other road users which is why the EU type approval requires auto-levelling in particular. Aftermarket HID kits do not make any provision for auto-levelling. Several members of this forum have done the job properly rather than on the cheap and fitted OEM headlamp units, auto levelling and headlamp washers. It just costs most to do the job correctly than to do a bodge-up. But at least it's a lot safer for everyone else on the road. Doing it with cheap HID kits is just selfish. Makes my car look good - I can see where I'm going better - I'm all right Jack and I don't give a dam about everyone else.

May be but it would also be a much safer place as well. In this case it's illegal because it affects other road users. Badly set-up HIDs can be a real danger to other road users which is why the EU type approval requires auto-levelling in particular. Aftermarket HID kits do not make any provision for auto-levelling. Several members of this forum have done the job properly rather than on the cheap and fitted OEM headlamp units, auto levelling and headlamp washers. It just costs most to do the job correctly than to do a bodge-up. But at least it's a lot safer for everyone else on the road. Doing it with cheap HID kits is just selfish. Makes my car look good - I can see where I'm going better - I'm all right Jack and I don't give a dam about everyone else.

I couldn't agree more. The only difference is I would have explained that earlier, rather than putting the product down on a legality.

I couldn't agree more. The only difference is I would have explained that earlier, rather than putting the product down on a legality.

Perhaps my original reply was a little curt. I just get annoyed by people who try to do things on the cheap with no thought for anyone else.

Perhaps my original reply was a little curt. I just get annoyed by people who try to do things on the cheap with no thought for anyone else.

Pesky kids eh?

how much does it cost to do the job with oem units? some after market hid kits are £200 +

The HID kits don't have a beam direction which is why they blind oncoming road users and look very cheap. You'd rather have some osram night beakers or go for the OEM xenons.