Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Helix Clutch

  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60

    Helix Clutch

    Hi,
    Due to a part being missed from my Sachs Clutch kit, I've been offered a Helix kit instead.
    Anyone on here running Helix on their stage2+ S3 or Ed30 ?
    Last edited by robern2; 10th February 2010 at 13:37. Reason: Incorrect title

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,133

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Majority run sachs man..

  4. #3
    S.
    S.'s Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,422
    mrgicm has helix clutch and one mass flywheel. drop him PM.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

    / Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...


  5. #4
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bradford, WY
    Posts
    788
    what parts of sachs you missing?


    A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    No idea which bits are missing, clutch had been on order since before Xmas, I guess rtech were probably concerned it wouldn't arrive before friday which is when I'm travelling up for fitment. Will drop mrgicm a PM for his thoughts.

  7. #6
    Phantom black S3/

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    137
    I have a Helix clutch + SMF and its just perfect, holds down much more agressive when changing gears , it pulls instantly and the flywheel is 6.4kg lighter than OEM. I am very satisfied. The clutch pedal was a litter harder the first thousand kilometers but now im running Castrol SRF racing oil in the clutch, alonfg with stell lines and its just perfect, for everyday driving and for track use.... This clutch can hold up to 580nM....
    Phantom Black S3/ APR stg 2+ / Forge CAI / APR HPFP / Miltek TBE / Forge DV / Forge Catch Tank / Forge T. body / VF Engine mounts / ECS EM / KW V3 / 19" BBS CH "Black" / 18" Team Dynamics Motorsort / Denso Iridium IK24 / Forge Twincooler / Helix Race Clutch + Flywheel / H&R ARBs / JVC Multimedia + TV Tuner / Kicker sound system over 3,000W RMS / TT-RS Steering wheel / Whiteline Anti-lift kit / Brembo Porsche GT2 BBK / soon: RECARO POLE POSITION SEATS,


  8. #7
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
    I have a Helix clutch + SMF and its just perfect, holds down much more agressive when changing gears , it pulls instantly and the flywheel is 6.4kg lighter than OEM. I am very satisfied. The clutch pedal was a litter harder the first thousand kilometers but now im running Castrol SRF racing oil in the clutch, alonfg with stell lines and its just perfect, for everyday driving and for track use.... This clutch can hold up to 580nM....
    The Sachs equivalent is rated at slightly less(530Nm or 390lbs),and the DMF Sachs is said to be good for up to 360lbs+ or the thick end of 500Nm.....certainly I've had no problems so far putting 360 lbs through mine....cue clutch burning up!

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    Is the flywheel lighter or does the weight reduction also include changing the DMF ?
    Last edited by robern2; 10th February 2010 at 17:30.

  10. #9
    david_phillips95's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    the DMF Sachs is said to be good for up to 360lbs+ or the thick end of 500Nm.....certainly I've had no problems so far putting 360 lbs through mine....cue clutch burning up!
    Sachs DMF???

    All Audi S3 8P's are all fitted with LUK DMF's

    I know this because i have a sachs performance clutch fitted with brand new LUK DMF , i asked audi to supply me with a Sachs DMF for the s3 8p at the time as i had read on forums Sachs had a stronger DMF available. They told me they do not list one fo any S3 8P 2006 - 2010, i have etka and i confirmed this also. I then phoned Sachs and they do not manufacture a Sachs DMF!

    If you are fiting a new DMF with a performance clutch the only one available for the S3 8P is LUK

    Davie

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    thanks Davie,
    I'm not planning on replacing the DMF unless essential.

  12. #11
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,362
    Quote Originally Posted by david_phillips95 View Post
    Sachs DMF???

    All Audi S3 8P's are all fitted with LUK DMF's

    I know this because i have a sachs performance clutch fitted with brand new LUK DMF , i asked audi to supply me with a Sachs DMF for the s3 8p at the time as i had read on forums Sachs had a stronger DMF available. They told me they do not list one fo any S3 8P 2006 - 2010, i have etka and i confirmed this also. I then phoned Sachs and they do not manufacture a Sachs DMF!

    If you are fiting a new DMF with a performance clutch the only one available for the S3 8P is LUK

    Davie

    Sorry davie...you are of course entirely correct,and what I should have written was the Sachs performance clutch for use with the LUK DMF.

    I can only say i was rather busy at the time this afternoon and should have checked what I had said fully before comitting it to the internet.

    My apologies....

  13. #12
    david_phillips95's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Sorry davie...you are of course entirely correct,and what I should have written was the Sachs performance clutch for use with the LUK DMF.

    I can only say i was rather busy at the time this afternoon and should have checked what I had said fully before comitting it to the internet.

    My apologies....
    Dont worry about it, i was just clearing it up as i spent hours searching for the mysterious Sachs DMF and finally found out it was non existant lol. There is confusion on forums that 08 or newer S3's are fitted with Sachs DMF and Clutch which is INCORRECT.
    They are fitted with a full LUK setup (DMF, Disc, Plate) If you read Elsawin it tells you NOT to fit the LUK parts with Sachs parts. As there is only LUK DMF's the conclusion is all new S3's are fitted with LUK DMF and Clutch. The only time the OEM Sachs clutch might be fitted is if the car is booked in for clutch issues and Audi decide to deviate from Elsawin and fit the OEM Sachs Clutch.

    Hope this clears everything up.

    Cheers Davie

  14. #13
    david_phillips95's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by robern2 View Post
    thanks Davie,
    I'm not planning on replacing the DMF unless essential.
    My car had done 19k miles when i had my clutch + DMF changed, i hadnt planned to change the DMF but it was so bad it needed changed so i ended up 620.00 poorer lol

    Davie

  15. #14
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    Fingers crossed I have better luck, I'll be guided by rtech on this one :-)

  16. #15
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,163
    this is a job I fear is looming for me in the next 3-4k miles.

    I wanted to fit a SMF to eradicate the issues associated with the DMF not being able to cope so well with the higher revs, but I've been advised strongly to stick with the DMF as an independent garage I use has seen a few longer term issues with SMF's and cracking cranks. I want to do a fair bit more research before I bite the bullet either way, but I need a better clutch than the one that is in there (OEM), but I don't want any change in the pedal characteristics as the wife drives the car a fair bit and hates heavy pedals. Too many choices
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    Warren,
    I have exactly the same brief as you.
    I'm led to believe that the Helix and Sachs items once bedded in are very similar to standard.

    Mines being fitted tomorrow (hooray) so I'll report my findings.

  18. #17
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,163
    Quote Originally Posted by robern2 View Post
    Warren,
    I have exactly the same brief as you.
    I'm led to believe that the Helix and Sachs items once bedded in are very similar to standard.

    Mines being fitted tomorrow (hooray) so I'll report my findings.
    Nice one, really appreciate it. I can feel my car is just at that point where at maximum torque there is a split second before drive is commenced. Cold weather doesn't help, but in a few thousand it will be slipping again (last one lasted 11k, this one has lasted for 24k which considering spec is pretty good).

    Very interested to hear your thoughts robern2, as I don't think another OEM unit is the way to go.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    After 2 and a half months of nursing my slipping clutch it was finally replaced yesterday in favour of a Helix item by the helpful chaps at Rtech power.
    The DMF was in good working order so did not need replacing.

    Whilst the clutch is slightly stiffer than standard, it is by no difficult to use, testament to this being the hour of clutch/de-clutching on the M42 thanks to the kind people slowing down to gawp at a car accident. If anything it appears to have softened in the 150 miles Ive covered since.

    There are no strange squeaks or rattles in operation, gear changes are now very precise with much quicker pick up than before.

  20. #19
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,163
    Quote Originally Posted by robern2 View Post
    After 2 and a half months of nursing my slipping clutch it was finally replaced yesterday in favour of a Helix item by the helpful chaps at Rtech power.
    The DMF was in good working order so did not need replacing.

    Whilst the clutch is slightly stiffer than standard, it is by no difficult to use, testament to this being the hour of clutch/de-clutching on the M42 thanks to the kind people slowing down to gawp at a car accident. If anything it appears to have softened in the 150 miles I’ve covered since.

    There are no strange squeaks or rattles in operation, gear changes are now very precise with much quicker pick up than before.
    That's good to hear.

    I am going to have to use the money I'd saved up for an exhaust / DP / cat for a clutch & DMF (assume both, and hope for the best I need the clutch). Needless to say I'm annoyed about it, but its part of the course I guess. Thanks for posting back, glad to hear it's doing the trick. Bed it in carefully as I've heard rumours you can run a clutch if you give it too much stick bedding it in.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  21. #20
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    I raised the question of bedding in with Rtech, they suggested there is no real need.

  22. #21
    flying oyster's Avatar
    flying oyster

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    wimbledon
    Posts
    547
    what sort of money are we talking for the helix as mine is on the way and i think im gonna go uprated as i plan to gain more power in the near future
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

  23. #22
    gingers3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    218
    yes this sounds the way to go , how much , fitted ??

  24. #23
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    it's best to speak to rtech - my Sachs clutch had been on back ordersince december and something was missing from the kit. Rtech were kind enough to offer me the Helix kit at the same price so 780 inc release bearing was pefect.
    I'm sure the Sachs is a great unit but the fact the Helix can handle that little bit more power yet still retain perfect road manners is the perfect combination for me.

  25. #24
    S.
    S.'s Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,422
    whats the torque limit?
    is it SMF or DMF?
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

    / Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...


  26. #25
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    60
    It's stil DMF, the original infact as mine was fine.
    I may have misunderstood but didn't someone post on this thread earlier about the bhp/torque limits being higher with Helix that Sachs.
    Either way, I'm sure both are quality bits of kit suited to our applications.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO