Help required

A3TDIFRASER

Reaction score
I have an '05 A3 TDI which currently has a strange droning noise when the car gets above 15/20mph. Hard to tell whilst driving whats causing it, initially I thought possibly the exhaust or breather pipes but its neither.
I have recently fitted a new throttle body after the last one got sooted up and jammed, dont know if the noise is necessarily related, ie the turbo?
The noise stays and gets slightly louder as the speed builds, if I drop the clutch and let the revs drop the noise remains, it only goes away (or isn't noticable) when I drop below 20mph again.

Anybody any ideas?

Could be a wheel bearing, does it do it when turning the wheel whilst driving, any worse?

The IMF probably had broken teeth inside thats why it jammed mate, open it up & have a look given its now of the car & fecked, just so you can see if this was the usual cause of these failing.

Yeah it carries on whilst steering, not quite as noticeable though.

Thanks! I'll get the wheel bearings checked.

Old throttle bodies still in a box in the boot, I'll have a look at it. Seems to be quite a common fault.

Yeah they are if its the teeth breaking, sounds like it is with yours, just raise your car up mate & check the bearings yourself for any looseness on the wheel, movement, turn them, thing is might only be noticeable with load on them, but worth a jack up huh for free, its one of those known issues with 8P's to have.