Ashtray Delete Puzzle

aristides

Reaction score
Hello there fellas

I know there are some other threads regarding this issue , but i got a specific question.

I decided to get rid of the ashtray, since i didn`t use it and needed some extra space.
So i bought number 20 on the pic below which is the ashtray delete part. So far so good.

I would like to also retrofit the red lighting underneath the climate unit. Does anyone of you know which parts are needed for this retrofit?

I made this pic out of ETKA. I realised that there are various combinations regarding the ashtray-area.

I mean , i got the RED combination now, and would like to change to the BLUE one for the ashtray delete + LED
Am i right?

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

ashtrayx.jpg

29 is your led strip & 26 is the trim that covers the strip with a clear plastic insert to shine the light downward.

Well N , thats whats been bothering me.

If you see the combinations that i marked, number 26 stands alone.
For the led strip (Nr. 29) i would have to go for options 27+28.

I hate AUDI, they make things so complicated :p

Remember, i got a 2din setup

Last edited:
Well i read that as 27+28+29 illuminated or use 26 for non illuminated. Both non ashtray

I tell yer what, I'll just grab the ones I removed from my car mate that are sitting right next to me when I removed this to fit ashtray lmfao, Pats probably right.

Whoa, bit edit. I thought you did the ashtray delete story but just realised that you actually fitted the ashtray
Getting old and blind i guess

So N. do you have the illuminated parts that are needed? If so, and you dont need them i would be willing to buy them!

Last edited:
I already had interior light pack everywhere so no need for led fitment, maybe buy my kit I removed but then again is it cheaper to buy there anyway with postage to greece?

Hmm you`re right, shipping to Greece could mess the whole deal :)

So i just want to be certain about the part numbers.

For a double cage and non-ashtray i just need 27-28-29?

Nope I was right, I had 26/29 & 20 for my storage area, but from etka would appear you can have 20 with 27, 28 & 29, but tbh mate you would be fine with what I had as thats what I have in hand here, glad I checked that as seems I can change mine to have ashtray with the flat piece 23 to put my wallet which means I can see my led strip again, weird I didnt see that before, goes to investigate further................................

N. did your car come from the factory with a single din cage?

Cause you say you had 26/29 parts, was this before or after the RNS-e retrofit?

I`m starting to think that there are 2 different options for ashtray/non ashtray because there are cars with single and double cage. IIRC Nr.23 part wont fit into a double cage since it has 4 tabs in the back. Check the photo i posted. Mine has just 2, 1 on each side

Man i`m more confused now!

Great if finally found the answer

The single from the double din cages apart from the obvious differences in shape also have a difference at the bottom. The single one has 4 slots where the double has just 2.
So nr.23 is for a single cage car (4tabs) and nr25 is for double -what i had in the first place-

If you also check the model in ETKa:

Nr.23: Model PR-9JD+8YU
Nr.25: Model PR-9JD+8YA

Which could easily mean that the 8YU model is the single din and 8YA the double.

I maybe wrong as well, so please someone correct me :)

You maybe right as I didnt go that far into checking mate, but have feeling you're spot on as I recall something I had a discussion with audi aboout when ordering my new gear, I'll check with my old single din chassis later.

Checked the same thing for a 2011 model , since all facelifted versions come with double din as standard.
Numbers 23 - 27/28/29 aren`t available (not replacement part for this model), which means these parts would only work with a single din

Guess all i need is number 26 as you said before, but there is no led strip now available.

And the search continues :)

Thought I'd seen the led strip somewhere in newer car, I'll have a looky if get chance.

Thanks for all the help N. you`ve been wonderful :rockwoot:

Let me know if you find out , i will keep looking too!

NHN do you have a spare part no.20 the ashtray delete for sale then. I know its cheap from audi but could give you a few quid if your wanting rid.

You need

8P0864138A4PK UNDER TRIM
8P0857355 FIBRE OPTIC CONNECTOR

You can then extend the wire from the light in the ashtray as it uses the same plug

Reactions: Sevastos
Thanks matt, i realised a day after my post that the actual fibre optic was on another page of ETKA, where the double-din cage was listed.

Ordered both parts yesterday, happy to find out that the ashtray plug is the same as the led wasn`t sure about that!