Badger5Monster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

Thumbs up Anyone interested in a carbon bonnet for their A3/S3 (2009 facelift)

I tried to post this in the GB forum but apparently I don't have rights to do so.

I thought I’d let you know, I have sorted out a group buy for some carbon bonnets. Basically a one off is expensive and they suggested I try offering a GB before I go at it alone..... I need 5 to get the price down to Ł659. I think I’m going to struggle to get that number but it’s worth a try.
    (Pics just for reference but from the same company)

The mould is still to be made but will be done as soon as I have some definite numbers and will be made in a batch of 5 (can take 2 weeks to dispatch), Special requirements are possible when ordering.
    Lightweight replacement bonnets for the Audi A3/S3 facelift (late) 2008 -
    These “Road spec” bonnets are a direct replacement, full replica inside and out, supplied ready to bolt-on. The fit is perfect and they weigh less than half that of the original steel item. These are full carbon at 5KG (approx)
    The carbon fibre is finished in a high-gloss clear coat, showing off the 2x2 twill carbon fibre weave. (3k, aerospace grade). Dry carbon is vacuum bagged and resin-infused, to ensure zero air bubbles and the lightest possible part.
    These bonnets can be painted if you if required.

Let me know if anyone is interested. If I don't get the numbers I may leave it for a while.
    Thanks

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    man, how i wish..

09' imola yellow S3...
    h&r spings, forge twintake, forge dv, frc software, autotech hpfp, 76mm dp + zorst, bbs ch 19's & defi boost gauge

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Please for the love of god paint it so nobody can see it's carbon.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    I like it...As a matter of fact I like it alot! I have a black S3 and would probably go against Pete and leave it unpainted :D I would like people to know its carbon. Now back to main point..I could be interested...Need to think about it though...I think it's a good fair price you got there.

2nd Gear

Status
    get in touch with a company called carben creations in leeds ben who runs it should be able to do them at a better price than that!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by antmax7 View Post
    get in touch with a company called carben creations in leeds ben who runs it should be able to do them at a better price than that!
    Just emaied them. I'll let you know how I get on. Do they do full double skin autoclaved bonnets?
    Their bonnets look like they are Seibon anyway, Seibon don't do the facelift S3.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

6th Gear

Status
    It's not really a massive amount of money for what would be a direct swap and I guess something which would have a good residual value too. I think it would go really well with the white car, black wheel combo that is so popular now and would still manage to look discreet on a dark coloured motor, I like it and especially the weight saving benefits my only concern would be insurance implications and the fact that it may attract unwanted attention. Thumbs up though, I think it would look really special, I'm not in but I'm interested, it would have to remain unpainted to be cost effective. How much is the equivalent GTI offering ?
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

2nd Gear

Status
    you can always fit areo catches these will give two extra locking points and help with keeping the bonnet where it's meant to be!

3rd Gear

Status
    The Mk5 GTI is the same price....

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Last edited by devonmikeyboy; 9th February 2010 at 21:35.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

6th Gear

Status
    I suppose you would only want one of these for looks? I cant see any other benefit. The 5kg saving can be done by emptying out your boot full of rubbish and tidying the glovebox! 5kg can easily be saved in a better areas anyway such as wheels.

If you take your original bonnet off you would be suprised how light it is, i was!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

3rd Gear

Status
    The main reason for going with this GB is the fact they are the makers of the VW R racing Mk5 GTi carbon bonnet. It really is well made!
    All using original bonnet catches etc, strong and will fit perfectly.
    It's about 1/3 or the standard bonnet weight.

My car's a year old now and i'm going to start tracking it. Lightweight rims are part of the makeover and will be coming soon.

3rd Gear

Status
    would love one of these is it was for my 2007

MY S-LINE 2.0TDI HYBRID PROGRESS

MY PROGRESS THREAD

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    Just emaied them. I'll let you know how I get on. Do they do full double skin autoclaved bonnets?
    Their bonnets look like they are Seibon anyway, Seibon don't do the facelift S3.
    Seibon stuff fits like crap too. I remember seeing their demo car at SEMA - loads of carbon panels, none of which lined up. Terrible advert for the company, and if they can't make it fit, then nobody can.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Seibon stuff fits like crap too. I remember seeing their demo car at SEMA - loads of carbon panels, none of which lined up. Terrible advert for the company, and if they can't make it fit, then nobody can.
    I tend to agree, some fit great, others don't....
    I have however seen a Mk5 R32 with one of the VW R bonnets fitted and it looked great. Looked OEM (apart from the carbon look).

Status
    I tend to agree, some fit great, others don't....
    I have however seen a Mk5 R32 with one of the VW R bonnets fitted and it looked great. Looked OEM (apart from the carbon look).
    Personally I think it looks tacky, cheap and like a reject from Banzai magazine. Your car looks great in your little pic, and a carbon bonnet would make it look like a chav chariot. But that's just in my opinion

I understand the weight saving benefits, but having a big **** can make as much of a difference, and it's considerably cheaper and less Jap-stylee than a new bonnet.
    Last edited by V6Pete; 10th February 2010 at 09:34. Reason: Got man flu and head not working well. Can't type today.

3rd Gear

Status
    I understand the weight saving benefits, but having a big **** can make as much of a difference, and it's considerably cheaper and less Jap-stylee than a new bonnet.
    I know what you're saying lol but the S3 is a heavy beast, may be something do with all the options I bolted on...... I can tell you, the rear seats will be out when it goes to track. If I can get the car to feel like there is no driver in it that would be great. It wasn’t something I was planning to do with the S3, but the time has come......
    I've only just considered getting lightweight alloys, something I've never considered before.

5th Gear

Status
    I understand the weight saving benefits, but having a big **** can make as much of a difference,
    A 5kg **** would be pretty big. It'd smell a bit ripe too I imagine.
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    A 5kg **** would be pretty big. It'd smell a bit ripe too I imagine.
    I'm a big lad.

5th Gear

Status
    I'm a big lad.
    And a funny one
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    I've only just considered getting lightweight alloys, something I've never considered before.
    Light weight alloys will make a lot more difference to acceleration and handling then a 5KG lighter bonnet will.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

flying oyster

Status
    Personally I think it looks tacky, cheap and like a reject from Banzai magazine. Your car looks great in your little pic, and a carbon bonnet would make it look like a chav chariot. But that's just in my opinion

im loving the term chav charriot
    S3 8L ming blue westys old car shed loads of mods

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by flying oyster View Post
    im loving the term chav charriot
    Thanks. There's plenty more where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggu View Post
    And a funny one
    Again, thanks. At this rate my head will be as big as Nige's...

6th Gear

Status
    LOL !! This thread is becoming even more entertaining, really laughed at 'Big ****'.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."