Audi A3 Armrest Fitting

Cruiser89

Advanced In Car Tech
Reaction score
Right guys...

I have just managed to buy a pretty much brand new Audi A3 black cloth armrest for a mere £55 including P+P from a contact. Steal of the century I know...

Three things...

1. Does anybody have a template (cut out) to fit this armrest.
2. Is there a part number for the pre cut plastic part of the centre console.
3. When I do it, would anybody want me to a step-by-step guide on what to do??

Thanks...

T

Theres quite a few posts with how to's including part numbers etc already on the forum.

But another how to wouldn't hurt. :)

Got any more for £55??

Well done!

I did use the search facility but it didn't provide much of an insight. Apart from one post about dimensions that were put up!

Think a defo step by step with clear pics etc would help. If i cant find a template I willing to create one!

Hmmm i expect so. The guy wanted £100 i offered £50 he threw back £55. Nice.

Yeah I think there still working on the search facility.

I have defiantly seen at least one, with photo's of a cardboard template. Not sure on author, I have the memory of a gold fish!!

Sure someone (NHM?) Will be along shortly to point you in the right direction!

You can't buy the template seperately, only as part of the armrest kit.... which also includes an armrest!

I fitted my armrest a few months ago and it was quite a scary time, cutting through my centre console. Although looking back it's quite simple. You have got quite a lot of room for error as the armrest trim covers almost all of the possible area you can cut the hole.

To help, once the armrest is fitted the measurements are as follows.....
From the top edge of the rear ashtray to the back of the armrest trim is about 7mm. And from the storage area to the front of the armrest trim is about 10mm.
From those measurements you should be able to work backwards to calculate where the hole needs to be cut.
The width of the hole is easy, just make it as wide as the hole for your storage area, maybe a little narrower.

As for actually cutting the hole, the plastic is pretty soft. I drew with a pencil the place that I was going to cut the hole, drilled a few small holes in each corner using an electric screwdriver with a drill fitting in it, then used the blade of a hacksaw to saw from corner to corner.

You will need a bolt and a nut to fix the armrest to the car. I used a 25mm M8 nut and bolt. 50mm was too long.
There is a hole in the bracket that the armrest fixes too but there is no thread in it. It's just a hexagonal hole.
I found inserting the bolt from the bottom and screwing the nut on the top side was easiest.

Here's a pic to show roughly where I cut the hole (red), and where the armrest trim sits (green).

armrestt.jpg

Reactions: Raiden, aman_ and The Engineer
just a quick one. How do you pull out the rear ashtray and coin holder??

Just about to start this mod now :p

It should just lift out. Open it and kind of pull it out at an angle.

Let us know how you get on with the armrest fitting.

Also, DO NOT over tighten the nut and bolt. You could end up cracking the armrest's fixing bracket.

You can't buy the template seperately, only as part of the armrest kit.... which also includes an armrest!

No but you can go to a dealer, open the box of an armrest kit, and trace the template onto a piece of paper.

I am still to fit my armrest I bought several months ago but don't want to f*ck up the cutting. Is anybody local to Northampton and handy with a saw?

Also I have a bolt, bu no threaded part for the bolt to go into, so is it just a case of using a suitable nut underneth the big metal part? (sorry for using technical words....).

Pete

Right guys... Quick update.

i went into Poole Audi. Spoke to the guy in parts, and he didnt believe me that i bought my Armrest online. he was like you cant just buy it, where did it come from. I said a brand new smashed up 59plate A3.

He said for me to get the instructions i would need to get the kit. I politely said NO.

However, my best mates boyfriend works as a mechanic there and he want and got a copy of the full Audi instructions with the official template (Why couldn't the parts guy just do this?). So what i will do is scan it all into the computer and upload
it on to here for everyone to enjoy?? I will do the template full size so its 1:1 ratio :)

Will take some photos of the progress as well.

Also I have a bolt, bu no threaded part for the bolt to go into, so is it just a case of using a suitable nut underneth the big metal part?

Here you go mate.....

You will need a bolt and a nut to fix the armrest to the car. I used a 25mm M8 nut and bolt. 50mm was too long.
There is a hole in the bracket that the armrest fixes too but there is no thread in it. It's just a hexagonal hole.
I found inserting the bolt from the bottom and screwing the nut on the top side was easiest.

Right guys... Quick update.

i went into Poole Audi. Spoke to the guy in parts, and he didnt believe me that i bought my Armrest online. he was like you cant just buy it, where did it come from. I said a brand new smashed up 59plate A3.

He said for me to get the instructions i would need to get the kit. I politely said NO.

However, my best mates boyfriend works as a mechanic there and he want and got a copy of the full Audi instructions with the official template (Why couldn't the parts guy just do this?). So what i will do is scan it all into the computer and upload
it on to here for everyone to enjoy?? I will do the template full size so its 1:1 ratio :)

Will take some photos of the progress as well.

That's a touch mate!
Wish you were fitting your armrest before I did mine.... would've saved me three hours of sweating and staring at my centre console, saw in hand, trying to pluck up the courage to start cutting the hole!

Well guys its DONE!

Took me about 90mins once i plucked up the courage to drill in to my brand new car.. Photos are below. I will upload the instructions and the template once i have scanned it all in!! :)

DSC_0075.jpg

--

DSC_0077.jpg

--

DSC_0080.jpg

--

DSC_0081.jpg

--

DSC_0085.jpg

--

DSC_0086.jpg

--

DSC_0087.jpg

--

DSC_0089.jpg

--

DSC_0091.jpg

--

DSC_0092.jpg

Reactions: The Engineer
Alrights,

Any chance you could scan and email me the template?

Cheers mate!

Great work! Upmost respect to thoses that can hack into their cars!! :o.k:

Get the instructions uploaded and add this to the FAQ for the next person wanting to do this retrofit. :applaus:

Does anybody have the cutting template to upload?

Cheers

Hey guys!!!

Sorry I have been away a while!!

I will try and find the template and instructions, I have them scanned in at 1:1 ratio somewhere!!!

Anybody know how I can attach a PDF to the thread?

Dont even need the template tbh, its fairly obviously just looking at the base where to cut the hole, also there is a hex nut that audi supply for this & its a rivet type nut that requires a specific procedure to get it to hold in position so you can attach the armrest with the proper bolt/procedure.

Im not sure why, but quite a few people have said you need a nut and bolt to fix it on with. Im not sure why, ive fitted a couple and the crushable nut worked spot on everytime!!

Its a doddle to fit, mine was in withing 15mins, did it in my tea break at work! (no i didnt bodge it, im a perfectionist ;) )

Just drill a hole in the middle of where it go's, then you have to do it :p lol.

When quoting someone, dont delete the ending [/Quote] or it wont quote properly as per your previous post.

Also the rivet nut requires a process to fit it properly, as just screwing the bolt in to pull it up isnt sufficient, as it can with use become loose & requires a shed load of effort to get the knackered hex rivet nut out to fit a new one, trust me been there before.

You have to fit a spare bolt into the hex nut with another nut along the shaft of the bolt, then push this into the car bracket hex hole & whilst holding 1 you have to do up or undo the other, cant recall which way, which then pulls the rivet nut upwards whilst in the armrest bracket attached to car chassis, so it holds fast, then once its tight as hell in the hole, remove the bolt/nut that was just for the fitting of the hex nut & fit armrest with the proper bolt.

The armrest instructions arent the best, but do detail the process, as usual in not the most legible way lol.

When quoting someone, dont delete the ending or it wont quote properly as per your previous post.

Like that right? ;) cheers fella. I did wonder why it wasnt quoting properly.

Just my expirience, alot more seem to have struggled.

Hi chaps, newby to this site but could anybody tell me if i can buy the side circular trims for the arm rest separately? i have brought an arm rest from a breaker on ebay and it has been sent to me without the trims, now the guy is not answering my emails so im stumped! Thanks.

Hi chaps, newby to this site but could anybody tell me if i can buy the side circular trims for the arm rest separately? i have brought an arm rest from a breaker on ebay and it has been sent to me without the trims, now the guy is not answering my emails so im stumped! Thanks.

Sorry mate - the trims are not available separately !

Where did I see a repair kit for these, urrmmmm

Thanks for the replies, think i might have dropped a clanger then! i have been looking into it and the passat trims look very similar, there on ebay for a tenner so its got to be worth a shot. they will need a little trimming down as the stalk section is longer on the passat but id rather try than fork out for a whole new arm rest! My dads got a black edition (company car) which came with the arm rest as standard, plan is to use his to shape the passat trim and when his goes back to the lease company i may just swap them over! ;-)

how do you change the lid please guys ? part orerd from audi ( due to broken clip) just lid needs changing

Open lid, squeeze (gently) the hinges inward & wiggle out, simplessssss

****** hell that it ? in that case i may ask the agrage to discount the car for value of the lid and do it myself. is it £90+ vat its a sport back sline leather 1

Great work cruiser, I'm going to give this a go. It makes a big difference.

has anyone every tried to retrim the arm rest? i was thinking of taking the lid off and retrimming the dodgy cloth in leather as the rough cloth picks up fluff from my jumper and looks really messy ( i know i'm being a t@rt but still..)

Do you still have armrest curting template?
Tried searching and ur guide is great!!!

Also newbie i do apologize, will this fit my 59 plate 5 door dont know what 8chassis etc is help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-13-16-23-27.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-13-16-23-27.png
    707.2 KB · Views: 1,019
Also newbie i do apologize, will this fit my 59 plate 5 door dont know what 8chassis etc is help would be appreciated.

I believe it will. The 8 chassis means its an A3 then its followed by an L, P or V which shows which mark it is. Yours should be an 8P.

Im looking for that template as well. Have printed off the fitting guide and it looks way too big.