Dilemma

a3rick

The Ibis
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site but my dilemma is this - I receieve an allowance for a company car and my choice is between the A3 1.8tfsi and A3 2.0tdi 140 I do approx 30,000 miles per year some mway but mostly A roads I get a fuel allowance of 14p per mile. Sensibility says I should go for the diesel but fun says the petrol, I currently have a Jetta 2.0 tdi 140 sport would the A3 diesel be pretty much the same??

From last year the Jetta had the same Common Rail diesel engine but until then it wasn't so you would find the A3 engine more refined and more balanced on power delivery.

Personally I cannot fault the 2.0 TDI, it's a good balance between economy and performance.

The 1.8 TFSI is relatively rare but when it has been discussed on here people have been happy with it.

If it's 30000 miles of A roads you're probably best to get diesel though I would have thought.

Im a car salesman mate, we say anyone who does over 12k a year needs a diesel. And tbh, the 140 2.0 tdi will be perfect for what you need.

Thanks guys, I was clinging on to the hope that I could justify getting the 1.8tfsi mainly due to the 0 - 60 time but the economics win hands down.

what are the true MPG figures you would get for the 2.0tdi 140 & the 1.8tfsi? does anybody have this info?

Done about 380 miles in my new 1.8tfsi SPORT, and the figures aren't impressive, though I'm only doing short journeys with it so far, and got stuck in a stop-start traffic jam for over 20 minutes last week. It has used 53 litres to do just 283 miles - that's less than 24.5 mile per gallon.

eeek thats not good, but to be fair you've only done 380 miles. I'm sure it will improve, now waiting for tdi figures......

I do about 20K (mostly motorway miles) miles per year in my 2.0l TDI. I average around the 48-50 mpg. :icon_thumright:

thats not as high as i thought......aaaarrrrggghhh I just dont know which one to choose........

One quarter of my daily journey is in the city, so that brings it down a bit. But if you seen one of my previous posts on a different thread you'll know if i drive like an absolute miser i can get 68 mpg out of her! On a €50 tank (7/8th's full) the DIS reads that it will go for 820 miles at that rate. Economically it beats the hell out of the 1.8 TFSI.

Yeap derv would be your best bet & if its a new one then you'd be very very surprised how perky they really are, got some nippiness to them mate, add a map if allowed & you'll love it.

with regards to mapping, is there something that i can add or take away i.e when its serviced thats good and doesnt cost a fortune? I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm new to this site and the world of tuning etc.:icon_thumright:

I'm not a diesel lover, but for 30k miles a year it's the obvious choice.

I conceed, diesel it is I guess...... I'll have to twist the arm of the dealer to chip a bit more off the price

with regards to mapping, is there something that i can add or take away i.e when its serviced thats good and doesnt cost a fortune? I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm new to this site and the world of tuning etc.:icon_thumright:

These guys offer a Plug and Play system delivering 175bhp from a TDI 140.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/vehicle-audi_a3_2.0-tdi-140-ps

My friend has a 1.9 Astra 150 that was taken to 200bhp and was an absoloute beast.

I would have a look about mate as you could get a 180-190 on a map tbh & there are companies like bluefin that offer the install/deinstall handheld facility, also ask Ben@sharkperformance

Thanks for your help, is it a case of you get what you pay for? Is it worth changing the air filter?

IMHO no, stock filter does just as good a job & tbh generic map on a 140 IMHO doesnt need any filter upgrades, I have a hybrid turbo & running 220-230 & still on stock.

TBH there has been a recent thread about say alientech dongles, have a read up on the forum mate as there's number of companies that do the postal maps as such afaik.

Done about 380 miles in my new 1.8tfsi SPORT, and the figures aren't impressive, though I'm only doing short journeys with it so far, and got stuck in a stop-start traffic jam for over 20 minutes last week. It has used 53 litres to do just 283 miles - that's less than 24.5 mile per gallon.

Flippin elle i get more than that from the Cupra, genrelly 16k is around the cut off point for petrol v diesel, although it depends on who pays what for the fuel. P11d wise I guess it would be a close call, the 1.8 will probably have the lower list price and the Co2 will probably be similar. Car taxation rules are going to change over the next few years and it will start favouring the smaller petrol engines over diesels, diesel are also going to become more expensive to get them to meet the next batch of emission targets. If I was you i would consider a smaller 1.4TFSi engine although it seems like there is a long wait on these. Oh and for what its worth, I went from the A3 2.0 TDi 140 ps, I averaged 36mpg and I now average 29mpg in the Leon, not bad for something thats nearly 300bhp and far more fun

IMHO no, stock filter does just as good a job & tbh generic map on a 140 IMHO doesnt need any filter upgrades, I have a hybrid turbo & running 220-230 & still on stock.

You would benefit from some additional air though I'm sure.

*Update*
Spoke to my dealer today and basically the only diesels they have in stock have quite a few extras on its put it over my budget which means my monthly payments will be more(grrr) on the plus side the extra monthly payments mean that its no different in what I would have to pay in extra fuel costs so 1.8 tfsi looks like it will be mine:icon_thumright:

good choice, even if the decision was out of your hands. I take it you have test driven one and like it ?

ooooh yesss the salesman got a little nervous lol, i notice you had bluefin did it make a huge difference? sorry to ask a stupid question but I'm new to all this malarkey

On the cupra, yes its only stage 1 but when funds allow i'll go to stage 2 on the TDi it made it rev stronger and was smoother, definatly worth doing whatever software company you decide on.

as far as i can make out its not widely available for the new 1.8tfsi engine as yet,any ideas as to why?

another thing, whats the 1.4tfsi engine like? I get the impression its a bit weedy?:think:

anyone got any pics of the sport model in white as most pics on here of white ones are either s3 or s line's

Hmmm thats what I thought........wish my budget could stretch to the black edition mmmmm sexy as.....

well,it seems like I'll be going for Ibis white with the 10 "v" spoke alloys, I couldn't get metallic and alloys in my budget...... anyone else got a sport model in white???