Excessive Engine movement

edition

Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to have a bit of slop in the drivetrain.... I.e. if I set off and then slow in 1st gear in traffic its difficult to not get abit of a jerky ride.

The engine seems to move about a fair bit with the bonnet up when revved and I can rock it about a fair bit by hand. Is this normal and is a engine mount likely to have gone soft?

If this likely to be the dmf? It doesn't seem to be an issue noise wise..... Although occasionally there is a clonk off the drivetrain when I unload the engine to change gear (this could also be the engine mount I guess).

Any ideas guys?

Kind Regards,

:)

Well certainly the clonk isnt good whether it be engine/box mount or gearbox, so needs to be looked at, I would get your torch out & look for a crack in mount, will need to remove battery for box mount as its right underneath, fairly simple job just little time consuming.

Hi it's a 3.2 so battery in the boot. So i need to remove the airbox, for gearbox mount?

The l/h mount looks fairly soft i.e a fair bit of movement but its difficult to tell whats excessive and whats not!

Where it the other mount?

The clonk only happens if u kinda make it kangeroo then dip clutch i.e. drive heavily loaded then suddenly unloaded

Ah good point, oops, lol.

Ok other mount would usually be under the battery eg. in 2.0 tdi, so look in the right hand side under the airbox area.

Do you get the noise going over say sleeping policemen or bumps in road, thinking steering rack, arb, suspension, etc all things to check when getting this type of noise aswell.

Yes do get a knock going over speed humps..... There does seem to be a bit too much movement though when setting off....

How many mounts are there then? 1 each side and 1 at the front?

Cheers

Well afaik 2, 1 on left side for engine & 1 on right fixed to the box, but subject to checking for the 3.2, but usually same.

2 seems odd hey...... hard to stop summit moving with 2 mounts hey..

I think engines in the A3 do have a lot of movement as standard. Mine flaps all over the place. Happened on the orginal mounts and on my newly fitted replacement mounts (engine and gearbox).

Reason I had my mounts changed was because of a knock on unloading between gear changes, especially in lower gears. So similar to yours. Mine didn't knock over bumps though, or at least I didn't notice it.
I could get it to knock pretty much on demand by crawling along in first, then taking my foot off of the gas (keeping it in gear), and as the car lurched I would here a knock.

Changed mounts and knock went.

Pretty pricey job if done by Audi though. Think they quoted about £500 parts and labour to change the two mounts. (Parts were about £150).

Just went out and gave mine a shake...but thats another story !!
If i put all my weight pushing back on the engine it moves about 1mm max at the engine mount under the screen wash bottle top. if i shake it the whole car goes on its springs.
Sounds to me like you may have the start of a split mount as ayth and nige say.
the other possibility is the mounts are tight but the cars come lose !!:yes:

IMO changing the stock mounts for aftermarket is one of the best mods for an A3. VF engineering or BSH are great mounts. The 3.2 will give very little added vibration maybe 2/10. Engine noise is enhanced. More torque to the wheels. DSG shifts are smoothed out with very little pause noted between gears. I don't know the year of your car. If you have a 3.2 2008.5 or above then check the pendulum mount under the car as it changed. BSH and VF do not have the new insert. Over here, Neuspeed has the right poly insert for the pendulum. Install is straightforward if you have a car jack.

Can't find much info on the dog bones only on mk4 r32s.... Anybody have a look on ekta for me?

Urrrmmm any links to the engine/box mount upgrades as I checked powerflex & they only show the smaller ones underneath.

& yes if you count the bottom one then its 3 :)

They look a decent price!!!

Are they going to make the car vibrate badly?

Ah sorry thought you'd come across some replacement mounts for the larger ones in the bay, although I have considered these aswell, reminds me tbh to get some.

Think I'm going to order the powerlex ones.....

Anybody got a how to guide to fit them?

Cheers