EGR Solenoid where on this photo?

rick28

Reaction score
Hi all

Audi A3 2.0 TDI

I am new to the forums and I have been looking through for advice and to gain knowledge so I can resolve a problem I have at the moment with my EGR as below. I have cleaned the EGR valve but the error just comes back again shortly after driving. I have taken a photo of my engine, could someone help identify the EGR solenoid? I have been reading that issues with this could cause the below DTC. In addition, I have not noticed any performance issues with the car, I really am at a brick wall now with this.

16785 - EGR System: Insufficient Flow
P0401 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1848 /min
Torque: 68.0 Nm
Speed: 47.0 km/h
Load: 24.7 %
Duty Cycle: 14.7 %
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Mass Air / Rev.: 365.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 610.0 mg/str

attachment.php

i had that error when i had a air leak on one of my boost pipes. if your losing boost pressure it will through up a fault code on your EGR system, check all your boost connections for excessive oil leaks as that is a indication of air pressure loss.

hope this helps :)

Rich

The egr is the top half of that red highlighted area, the boittom half is your IMF which has a history of the teeth inside the mechanism breaking & flap fails.

But if you follow the pipe going round to the right & down right side of engine & to the top right of the back of engine you will find other egr related parts there.

here is a picture of the boost pipe which gave me the EGR system fault,

as you can see its not seated correctly because the clip which holds it in place had worn and had allowed the bottom half to pop off.

i replaced the clip and seals these both were very warn and she now runs like a dream.

hope this helps

IMG_2607.jpg

RGC thats a fair bit of oil there tbh & IMHO with some experience with these areas, I cant see how those clips can become worn, as they're just a locking mechanism that basically holds the pipe in position which doesnt really move either & find it hard to believe that was worn at all, seals also should of been ok if the pipe is fitted correctly, someone's had them of I reckon which may explain the oil seeping around this joint as there's always some oil in the charge air system, I also reckon someone didnt fit it properly tbh mate & the pipe movement screwed the seal & damaged the locking clip, IMHO, fixing that would of made a dramatic difference as would of been a nice boost leak.

NHN

Yes the the clips wear because of the movement of the engine its metal on metal also the seals get worn in the same way do to the movement, I'm coming up to 100000 miles so this may be a common problem, some i have known to wear so badly they snap when removed or refitted, i replaced all my lower boost seals and clips as they had quite altot of play on them, i used to lose loads of oil from these seals, i was having to top up the engine oil every few month due to this now they don't seep any oil and my floor pan is clean :) result :)

the picture in question the clip was so naked it wouldn't keep the boost pipe seated correctly and kept popping off especially after my remap ;)

Rich

had same falt om my tdi, 15 min job,

a3glenn, you say you had the same fault with the EGR Insufficient flow, was it the same boost pipe related issue that RGC has mentioned?

RGC, thanks for your help, is that the other end of the same pipe that fits into the bottom of the throttle body? I will check that out.

In addition, I have been experimenting with the Measuring Blocks on VAG COM, I have monitored the requested vs actual Mass Air and the what I think is the EGR Solenoid duty cycle, I have read that at idle the requested and actual should be similar however it looks like the requested and actual are differing somewhat, I have attached a screen shot of the CSV log file. I would be interested to know what results you guys get with no faults when monitoring this same information. Also, excuse me for being really thick but I am new to all this, trying to save money by resolving things myself. Is the right hand Mass Air the request and the left the actual? Is it sat at 250 because the EGR is not used at idle?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
NHN

Yes the the clips wear because of the movement of the engine its metal on metal also the seals get worn in the same way do to the movement, I'm coming up to 100000 miles so this may be a common problem, some i have known to wear so badly they snap when removed or refitted, i replaced all my lower boost seals and clips as they had quite altot of play on them, i used to lose loads of oil from these seals, i was having to top up the engine oil every few month due to this now they don't seep any oil and my floor pan is clean :) result :)

the picture in question the clip was so naked it wouldn't keep the boost pipe seated correctly and kept popping off especially after my remap ;)

Well my cars done 60k & mine doesnt show any wear at all or that kind of oil around them even when the turbo blew, lol, so either you've got alot of slack on your engine mount bushes or something else is afoot as such.

Also mate, loosing alot of oil in the boost system is imho sign of a worn turbo if you ask me, as the oil should be minimal in the charge air system & the oil isnt recirculated back into the sump, it would get burnt of in the engine or clings to the boost pipes, imf, intake manifold etc, so you should maybe consider looking at other areas for the loss of oil, given its done a 100k then turbo isnt an unheard of issue, but are we talking vast amounts or minimal cause by the look of the boost pipe connection thats a fair bit of oil.

a3glenn, you say you had the same fault with the EGR Insufficient flow, was it the same boost pipe related issue that RGC has mentioned?

RGC, thanks for your help, is that the other end of the same pipe that fits into the bottom of the throttle body? I will check that out.

59707_Untitled_122_216lo.jpg

The pipe rich is showing goes into the IC 1st then other end of the IC goes to the intake side.

if you have a bad air leak then you get more oil loss as it pulls the oil out from the engine ,

maybe my engine mounts are warn it could do with a new set :) wanna fit them for me NHN ;)

my turbo is also fine i no longer have any oil loss issues due to fixing the boost leak :)

That would have to be some air leak tbh mate to get that ****** IMHO but of course depends how long ts been in that state I guess, also if the turbo's allowing oil to **** out like that then its worn mate imho, but hey if its fixed yours then who cares mate.

Fit them, shall I reply on here & get banned or PM, lmfao.