A3 2.0 tdi making half boost and breathing heavy

jamie_a3

Reaction score
Hi guys i wondered if anyone can help?

my car is currently at jabba sport having a Costom live map and hybrid turbo fitted on my 2.0 tdi sport.

they have mapped it to 210bhp at the moment but is only gettin half boost i.e 1.2bar instead of 2bar plus and is smoking like a train out of the zorst
on the phone they said it cud be something to do with vnt or vaccum i wondered if anyone had any of the same syptoms and wat it was if they did cure it

First of all what other mods have you got? Secondly what hybrid turbo have you got? Gt17 or gt20 compressor wheel? Anything more than 1.8bar and your turbo wont last long. What colour smoke?

Forge enclosed air filter
Forge Twintercooler
miltek down pipe (decat)
longlife full exhaust system
turbo - gt17 comp housing gt20 comp wheel cut back exhaust turbine blades , blueprinted i think thast all he said
sachs clutch
sincle mass solid flywheel
and thats all i think

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

I would hazard a guess if they've mapped it correctly then they have a boost leak if its getting just 1.2bar, also 2bar would be the end of your new turbo if its the norm hybrids, wouldnt last long at all as nay says 1.8-1.9 is tops iirc as I did mine little while ago, also how can it be related to the vanes if its a new turbo *** or maybe someone can enlighten me.

Yes indeed what colour is the smoke, also whats the oil levels like whilst its smoking like a chimney, could be a dodge turbo, did they supply or did you buy new from turbo technics etc?

jabba got a new one from turbo dynamics and fitted it,
its not making requested boost from what i gather from our phone convo with jabba,
not sure on smoke colour

its not a boost leak apparently as they have checked that

Last edited:
I recon too much fuel pressure. Get them to do the map again. You have a similar setup to me. Try the company i used.

Last edited:
jabba are doin the whole conversion so taking it somewere else just isnt going to be an option

im sure they will get to the bottom of it but me and jaime wanted to solve the mystery our selfs ,

but not having the car infront of us is the problem

and its a 3hr trip up to jabba

haha

If you think about it if the extra fuel is not being burnt the ecu will try to regulate it, but in your case too much fuel will be chucked back out as black smoke, especially at high boost pressure. Also to prevent damage to the engine the ecu will reduce boost pressure to compensate. Probably not the best explanation but i know what i mean. If it was a faulty turbo you would see white smoke

Thats not a duff turbo then if its black smoke, its running lean & its not burning the fuel of, is there any small black spots on the exhaust tips, rear valance & window?

I personally think its either the map is at fault or you have a leak, have they tested properly for a boost leak in other words stuck a test kit on the system for pressure testing?

When I replaced my turbo for hybrid I was having a lean run cause it was running on the previous uprated map which wasnt really for the 230 turbo, was for the stock turbo, so I got the puff of black smoke on high boost & black spots all over rear of car, but once I got back to UK & got my mate to custom map I havnt seen any black puffs or spots on rear of car, so kinda suggests its there map.

Of course this is speculative from non mappers & without any real data to look at interms of boost level logs.