A3 Sportback - Tailgate / boot door filling with Rain Water!!

stevo999

Reaction score
Hey all - Firstly this is my first post on the forum, so Hello!

I have recently noticed that after its been raining the tailgate on my A3 8P Sportback is filling with water. Its definitely ingress of rain water and not the washer hose etc, as a) it only happens when it rains; b) my rear washer jet is working perfectly; and c) its water and not screen wash.

After heavy rain if I go to my car and open the boot, I can hear the water that's collected inside the tailgate runs up towards the top of the window, before it comes gushing out where the hinge is, and also it runs inside the roof of the car and comes through the cloth interier at the back of the car.

Its hard to tell how much water is in there, but after particularly heavy rain it seems like a lot, maybe 0.5 - 1 litre. I can't imagine this is doing the car any good.

I've had a quick look but I really am quite baffled about where the water could be getting in. Anyone got any ideas, or had a similar experience?

I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find the exact same issue, but if anyone has any ideas or has had a similar experience, please let me know.

Cheeeeeers,

Stevo.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that's an odd one

Only thing i can think of is to check all the seals around the boot lid and the rear of the car, and maybe take it to Audi to have a look at?

Do you have a sharkfin antenna, if so then maybe this is loose, check the seal around boot to see if its 1st fitted 100% onto the boot frame as if not then this will leak, 2nd get some water & pour it over the boot lid & get someone to sit in boot to see if they can see/hear anything, sounds like a simple fix tbh as cant imagine its a serious problem like rust etc.

Thanks both - I have checked the seals but nothing looks out of place, and I can't see any deteriation of the rubber etc, but I'll give it another once over if I ever get out of work..

NHN - I don't have a shark fin antenna, but I was wondering if water may be getting in around the top brake light, although again, I can't see any obvious gaps or holes there either.

I think I'll try pouring water over the boot lid as suggested to see if that shows anything up.

Cheers again..

Yes but regardless of any drain holes at the bottom, if he has wetness at the top then the drain holes are irrelevant wouldnt you agree, given the water would be draining from above.

Okay - I removed the interior panels from the inside of the boot door and poured water over the outside. It appears that the water is getting in around the edges of the top brake light. when I took the light out, the seal around the light has compressed and doesn't look like it's doing much.

Good news - as should be easy to fix. But what should I use to seal around the light.... Any ideas?

Thanks again!

If you go to a paint/bodyshop supplier they should have heard of something called dum-dum its like a putty in a tub which you roll into shapes you want to make gaskets etc,nissans also have a sealer that you can get with there back lamps that is availabe seperate so if you have a local nissan dealer i would advise either of the above

Or get a new seal as above,but i dont know what there made of so could this happen again if they are the sponge type

Cheers - looks like I have a couple of options...

Just hope I can get it done before we get a load more rain!

Ta.

My local Audi dealer told me that the seal was not available to purchase on its own (not sure how accurate this information is to be honest...) and that I'd have to by a complete new light for £35.

So I went for the dum-dum which cost me a little less than £4. All seems to be sorted now.

Not impossible tbh that was the case, thats vag for you, there prices recently have gone up by something like 10% or more on items, unreal considering finances around world, germans for yer, lol.

Hey at least others now know cost & the solutions, also fact seal isnt on its own which is also a ***** tbh, but glad you fixed for £4, cheap fix.