A3 1.6TDI SPORTBACK - HOW IS THE ENGINE ??

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , i'm thinking of getting a 1.6TDI sportback in the sport spec , as the engine is new , how is everyone finding it ? :yes:

would imagine it's quite similar to the 1.9TDi

Power is the same but it's common rail so should be a bit more refined.

Not seen any on the road as yet.

Just got one delivered on Monday a manual S Line, and i was a bit worried that it was only a 1.6!!, put i have been pleasently suprised, you do have to rev it a bit longer to get going but a cracking little engine, and definatley quieter than the old engine you can hardly hear it running, engine still very tight as i have only done 113 miles but the engine picks up very well when you put your foot down :)

What bhp is the 1.6? I'm considering a Ibiza for the wife

What bhp is the 1.6? I'm considering a Ibiza for the wife

105 mate same as the 1.9 was...main difference is Common Rail injectors and 16 valves rather than 8 ;) oh and of course the capapcity but the turbo and extra air intake makes up for that loss very easily...

I have done 2500 miles in mine so far. I had an Octavia with the 1.9TDI engine before it., and a Leon with the 1.9TDI before that.

On paper both engines are the same, but the 1.6 being common rail is much smoother and more refined. As with the 1.9 it could do with a little more umph, but that's not to say it is underpowered (if you know what I mean)

It's too early to make mpg comparisons yet, but I would expect a better result than that of the 1.9 (which ended at an average of 48mpg after 60,000 miles)

Thanks guys , all good so far ! How is everybody getting on with the stop/start , i would imagine it takes a bit of getting used to ?

I replaced my MY 2006 1.9TDI with the 1.6TDI sportback just two weeks ago. With regards to the engine I find it very smooth and very quiet compared to the 1.9. It feels a little flat in the low revs second and third gear although once you get up to 1500 revs it fair takes off. In the 1.9 at 2000 revs top gear I was getting 60mph, at 2000revs with the 1.6TDI I get 70Mph!!! at 2200 I get 80Mph. Although I would question the MPG but at just 2000 miles I guess it's still to loosen up.

the Stop/Start does take alot of getting used to!! caught me out once or twice unaware but I soon got used to it. Can be a bit confusing when in start/stop traffic as the engine is so quite you sometimes can't tell if you are stop or start!!!!

Last edited: