RNS-E Purchase

JCMCN

Reaction score
Hi
I am thinking on purchasing An RNS-E unit for my MY10 A3 Sportback Sport. I have been on Ebay and see a few for sale from Lithuania. What does everyone know about these and are they to be trusted? Or should I stick to buying one from the UK

Cheers in advance

I know a few Guys have bought them with no issues, my only concern would be where they are originating from, try Hazy Dayz in Google.

Hi
I am thinking on purchasing An RNS-E unit for my MY10 A3 Sportback Sport. I have been on Ebay and see a few for sale from Lithuania. What does everyone know about these and are they to be trusted? Or should I stick to buying one from the UK

Cheers in advance

Make sure you budget another £250 ish for retro fitting the Radio Antenna.
I didnt. :(

cheers
Paul

I brought mine from Lithuania. Had no problems, fast delivery with new sat pick up and new 09 Europe DVD and importantly, the audi key code....Not sure what Paul means re radio antenna ? i just plugged mine in the old one ? all in it was half the price of hazy dayz .

I brought mine from Lithuania. Had no problems, fast delivery with new sat pick up and new 09 Europe DVD and importantly, the audi key code....Not sure what Paul means re radio antenna ? i just plugged mine in the old one ? all in it was half the price of hazy dayz .

If you already have the old Nav fitted then iirc RNSE interfaces with the existing antenna. Plug and play with maybe some coding.

If you change from Concert/II to RNSE then you will need to retro fit a new radio antenna. Wires n stuff.

They are a few `how to` guides on ASN, JohnS3,NHN etc, are very knowledgable guys on this conversion.

Its something Ive not done yet but intend to.
Although I cant say I miss the radio much at all even after 8 months.

cheers
Paul

I went from an 04 Symphony II to an 08 RNSE and it was plug and play with a small £15 antenna adapter.. !!

I went from an 04 Symphony II to an 08 RNSE and it was plug and play with a small £15 antenna adapter.. !!

Now you have my attention.

£15 adaptor? Really?

Anyone know what the difference is between Concert to RNSE and Symphony to RNSE?

Sorry for the hijack gents, in fact I might start a thread.

The info I have previously is that my car needs some module and wires etc fitted in the tailgate.
Or did I have a brain fart?

Help please.

Thanks
Paul

£15 adaptor? Really?

Anyone know what the difference is between Concert to RNSE and Symphony to RNSE?

The info I have previously is that my car needs some module and wires etc fitted in the tailgate.

Help please.

Thanks
Paul

I have heard Nige say this but not sure what he was on about because i just brought the little plug adapter for the Ariel where it plugs into the RNSE and its been fine.

The only reason I suggested Hazy days even though more expensive is for me personally I want to know the history of what I'm buying or at least get a receipt, with all the high end model thefts from properties recently I just don't want to invest in the epidemic, just a few too many RNSE available to all be legit, or am I just cynical ?

Definetly a good mod though and on the to do list...

£15 adaptor? Really?

Help please.

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul. Audi changed the antenna systems on post 07 cars. as you have an S3 (07 or newer) you will have this new system. These cars have a HF/HF system, pre 07 cars use the HF/ZF system and only require a small cable adaptor. If you were to spec nav from the factory you would have the HF/ZF system fitted.

Do you suffer from degraded FM reception? Some people dont notice if they live in an area with a good FM signal. Also you will still have the ZF short to earth DTC showing in VCDS.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I used a golf module for some time, it fixed the patchy reception I was getting, but it didn't get rid of the ZF short to earth issue. The modules are quite cheap, but the custom cables cost more than the module it's self.
As I like to do things properly, I did a lot of research and came up with the antenna swop/rewire solution. There is a very long thread about this on audiforums.us if you want a fun bedtime read!!

I got mine from here.

http://www.oemretrofits.co.uk/

Went down to meet the guys and they are sound , full invoice provided and a 3 month warranty.

Plugged strait in to 2008 a3 , no adaptor or ariel problems, then took it out and put it in MY59 S3 strait in no extras ( apart from BOSE pins moving as i had the AUX input by the hand break ) no ariel problem on the S3 either.

I do agree with Spin on the amount of bits that are coming up on ebay recently , i to am staying clear or parts unless i know where they are coming from like a genuine breaker with an insurance contract.

Remember these companies are now competing against ebay , so always up for a deal.

Last edited:
Run a VCDS scan, you'll see a ZF short to ground error, trust me!

1 Fault Found:
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground

Run a VCDS scan, you'll see a ZF short to ground error, trust me!

1 Fault Found:
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground

Yeah i have VCD , and i am aware it does show the fault .

But have no issues with the reception.. So all good.

Hi Paul. Audi changed the antenna systems on post 07 cars. as you have an S3 (07 or newer) you will have this new system. These cars have a HF/HF system, pre 07 cars use the HF/ZF system and only require a small cable adaptor. If you were to spec nav from the factory you would have the HF/ZF system fitted.

Do you suffer from degraded FM reception? Some people dont notice if they live in an area with a good FM signal. Also you will still have the ZF short to earth DTC showing in VCDS.

I hope this helps.

Thanks John.

I have pretty much no reception at all.
I had planned to get this sorted before the New year.
But the money went on H&R springs on instead!

Definately will do this in the next couple of months.

I think there is also some coding to do to get the full Telephone functionality, some of the features dont appera to be working, so it should all get sorted at the same time (only taken me 8 month so far!)

Cheers
Paul

That doesn't sound right. Have you checked the connections?
What does a VCDS scan tell you?

Keep an eye on eBay for the lower amp. They do come up from time to time.

That doesn't sound right. Have you checked the connections?
What does a VCDS scan tell you?

Keep an eye on eBay for the lower amp. They do come up from time to time.

Not even done that mate.

Need to get my finger out when the weather breaks.

Cheers
Paul

really intreasted in getting one of these units, could someone please tell me the features they have on them?

depends what you want added they come with just nav and dvd compatibility i belive, though you can add bluetooth modules tv/dtv modules sirrus radio multimedia interfaces and so on

really intreasted in getting one of these units, could someone please tell me the features they have on them?

Allsorts mate,

SD Cards for MP3s
TV
Sat-Nav (most say they prefer it to TomTom)

and the list is endless for adding really.. with a MMI (multimedia interface) you can add a Reverse Camera, DVD player, Games Console, Freeview.... anything with an AV output!