Audi 3.2 Manual, Wanting to buy please advise

Kevin_w90

Kevin
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello, first post! I am looking to buy an audi v6 3.2 04 plate maunal. Its done 67000 miles (not really an issue as I dont do many miles). Now what an engine to look at but I am wonderin is there any faults I should be aware of and any problems that are a big pain ? Don't want to go buy one and then realise hmm I am out of pocket fixing it as I know the mpg isnt good and alot of money will be towards filling it! (who cares!). I am hopefully correct in thinking since its an audi engine it should be solid build and mainly problem free.

Thanks

Welcome.

I'm sure Paddy & Pete will have something to say on the matter. There seems to have been problems with the engine, could be the chain between the camshaft stretching?

I did here something about that chain streching and heard it wasn't a cheap thing to put right. I was wondering why the 3.2 cars were selling at a low price. Maybe with the problems its causeing them to fall in value. Thanks for the quick reply :D

To be honest the 3.2's have been quite a good buy for a while now. The S3 was released in 06 for pretty much the same price, and was a more obvious choice to buy then as more tuneable and better on fuel.

Also in the last couple of years, larger engine cars have become a lot less desirable - for that reason a 2.0 TDI of the same age will be fetching the same money, despite being £10K less new!

There are some potential issues with the 3.2 engine. I was lucky and managed to do a deal with Audi, but the repair on my engine would have been £2-4K depending on how comprehensive a fix they did. Cam chain is unfortunately not that rare, however can be diagnosed with Vagcom before purchase. If the chain is ok, then chances are the car should be ok. However there have been other running issues - when Paddy has finished grinding bones for bread, I'm sure he'll rant about how buying a 3.2 will be the worst move you'll ever make. Aside from the problems I've had, I've been really happy with mine, and found it a lot of car for the cash.

Hi Kevin
I have a 04 3.2 and to be honest its as reliable as any other car of 6 years old IMHO. It has its issues but then if it was a merc i am sure they would be a lot worse. Be warned, you will fall in love with it and as much as you hate it some days...it will just sort of get under your skin.
Listen to it tick over, it should be quiet and smooth. If the cam chain is quiet at 60k miles it will probably stay that way for another 60k. If it rattles then it could just be tensioner which is a easy fix. Pull the hand brake on, it should come up a couple of clicks, stand on the brake and try to pull away and see if the clutch is ok. at that mileage a full service history is very desirable. If you know of anyone with vagcom, get them to check it for fault codes. Check it drives straight and the steering wheel is at 12O'clock. It should run smoothly on the road with no flat spots and the drive train should be quiet with just tire and a little exhaust noise .
A known fault is a slight hesitation at 2k rpm in 6th but it seems to be a constant fault that dosnt get any worse. see if it will hold 2k revs while in neutral/stationery ? It will do an ave of 26 mpg and 30 on a run. Super unleaded is worth a genuine 10 bhp on this lump but it dosnt improve mpg..
I'm sure Pete will have a few things to add.
HTH

Ahh i see. Now see things are looking up when you say that. Really do want one and hate hearing all these bad points about it. Supposed the same with any car, always a good and bad one! When you say your fix for your engine, what acutally happened too yours ? I have just found an audi 04 3.2v6 with 57000 miles for £7950 and would be really interested. Lower miles might hopefully mean less chance of the chain going straigh away.

My current car is a leon cupra tdi, lovely car but just want something with a bit more grunt and love the idea of 4wd. Did fancy the cupra R but the audi looks a hell of alot better and the interior is no even close in the cupra too the audi. No leahter, no bose system :(.

Thanks for the very detailed reply! Been a great help

Thanks Paddy ! Really likeing the idea of the car now. As you say its a love/hate thing. But the same with any car and especially mercs as you say lol. Thanks for the help with regaurds to the timeing chain noise and handbrake etc... Really have been a great help can actually go and look at one now with a bit of confidence. Not really engine minded atall ! My mate has vag com so will see if he can bring that.

Ahh i see. Now see things are looking up when you say that. Really do want one and hate hearing all these bad points about it. Supposed the same with any car, always a good and bad one! When you say your fix for your engine, what acutally happened too yours ? I have just found an audi 04 3.2v6 with 57000 miles for £7950 and would be really interested. Lower miles might hopefully mean less chance of the chain going straigh away.

My current car is a leon cupra tdi, lovely car but just want something with a bit more grunt and love the idea of 4wd. Did fancy the cupra R but the audi looks a hell of alot better and the interior is no even close in the cupra too the audi. No leahter, no bose system :(.

Thanks for the very detailed reply! Been a great help

What's the spec of the car you've seen? Sport or S-Line? Many toys? £8K seems like a fair price, you'll struggle to get that much bang for your buck elsewhere. If you want grunt, fancy 4WD and like your VAG's, then you'll struggle to find a better option.

I have seen two. One is the sport and it has, sat nav, bose, full heated leather. There is the s-line which has the better alloys I think but its only got half leather which isn't a big issue too me or the sat nav. Aslongs its got bose and 4wd its for me ! The s-line has 57000 miles and is up for £7950. The sport with all the toys is just over £8000 with 67000 miles. I wouldn't go away from VAGS, love my seat leon tdi, such a good car, but really dont do the amount of miles i used to do anymore so don't need something that does 54-60mpg.

The S-line will have 18" wheels and the sport 17". Half leather is warmer in the winter :) the sat nav is well worth having as it has a MP3 player built in and takes a couple of 2mb SD cards

I have seen two. One is the sport and it has, sat nav, bose, full heated leather. There is the s-line which has the better alloys I think but its only got half leather which isn't a big issue too me or the sat nav. Aslongs its got bose and 4wd its for me ! The s-line has 57000 miles and is up for £7950. The sport with all the toys is just over £8000 with 67000 miles. I wouldn't go away from VAGS, love my seat leon tdi, such a good car, but really dont do the amount of miles i used to do anymore so don't need something that does 54-60mpg.

S-Line will have better rims, styling, and nice black headlining (not sure if Sport's have that?).

My S-Line was basic spec and I've added sat nav etc. since which was easy enough and not as expensive as you'd think. Mine is half leather, and as nice as leather looks, the half leather is good all year round as not as cold in the winter or scalding in the summer. I do miss heated seats, but other than that, can't think of any options that were so important or not relatively easy to retrofit.

ALot of people saying avoid the leather for the winter, which I am starting too agree with. Especially with all this snow back ! Ahh did see them tucked away now in a photo. Thats would be great to have. Really need to get this leon sold now. I was tempted by the DSG gearbox also but have seen some pretty bad write ups with the whole repairing cost and have decided to completly avoid it now. Think manual would be far more fun to drive.

By the time I put the s-line alloys onto the sport I would have been aswell buyin the s-line so will probally try get that! Defintly want the sat nav with the sd slots in, good feature.

Really didn't exspect this level of help this quick ! Really a big thanks again

Last edited:
Us 3.2 guys have to stick together of the S3 guys take over :))

Let us know how you get on.

Very very true lol. My mates got an S3 02plate with 80000 miles on it and he paid £8500. Lets say he will be gutted when I get the 3.2. Thanks again, will keep you's posted

Hi guys, first post on this forum. Just bought my 3.2 last friday and its the best fun ive had in years!! Its also the first Audi i've owned and I am amazed at the build quality. Bit of background on the car.. Its a 54 plate and from the posts above i've gathered that its a sport(17" wheels?), full heated leather, 28k with FSH, bose audio, silver in colour, never been above 70mph(guaranteed!!) and I got it for the priceley sum of....... £6000!!! The joys!! Big thanks to my brother in law for getting his missus preggers!! Lol

Hi guys, first post on this forum. Just bought my 3.2 last friday and its the best fun ive had in years!! Its also the first Audi i've owned and I am amazed at the build quality. Bit of background on the car.. Its a 54 plate and from the posts above i've gathered that its a sport(17" wheels?), full heated leather, 28k with FSH, bose audio, silver in colour, never been above 70mph(guaranteed!!) and I got it for the priceley sum of....... £6000!!! The joys!! Big thanks to my brother in law for getting his missus preggers!! Lol

That is
cheapaschips.jpg

Lucky! What a steal, well done for that one lol. Well I am no expert and its probally best the other guys on here tell you, like Paddy and Pete they were a big help to me. From what I have read it sounds like the sport you have, the s-line and the sport are both amazeing. I have been totaly convinced now towards buying a 3.2 now. Can't wait.

Lucky! What a steal, well done for that one lol. Well I am no expert probally best the other guys on here tell you like Paddy and Pete they were a big help to me but from what I have ready it sounds like the sport you have. I have been totaly convinced now towards buying a 3.2 now. Can't wait.

Yeah, I was quite lucky lol. Been looking at it sitting in his drive for the past few years thinking "what a waste!!". He's not really a "driver" so to speak so its honestly never had it's **** felt!! Only had it for a week so cant give any buying advice other than...... BUY ONE!! It's AWESOME!!

Hello, first post! I am looking to buy an audi v6 3.2 04 plate maunal. Its done 67000 miles (not really an issue as I dont do many miles). Now what an engine to look at but I am wonderin is there any faults I should be aware of and any problems that are a big pain ? Don't want to go buy one and then realise hmm I am out of pocket fixing it as I know the mpg isnt good and alot of money will be towards filling it! (who cares!). I am hopefully correct in thinking since its an audi engine it should be solid build and mainly problem free.

Thanks

I've had mine since Oct 08. 05 plate 47k on the clock now. Love the DSG. I did have a problem with jerky gear changes 1st thing on a cold morning but that seems to have sorted itself....Love the car and can't fault it...

I bought a 1.9 tdi (130) sport in 2005, but got my hands on my current 3.2 last May. It had just 10K miles on, s-line with rns-e, bose, half leather, DSG etc. God how I love that car! I did have a bit of an episode over Christmas, I moved house and had to drive to work - I walked before - and the petrol cost of £40 a week was scarey. So now I leave her tucked up in the garage all week, get the bus to work (it was't any fun sat in the same queue in a 3.2!), and so look forward to the weekends - a bit of a lie on, then out for a spin. Plus it gobbles up boy racers for breakfast! I've driven it down to Italy twice now, had her nudging 150 on the autobahn, didn't miss a beat, after that it's amazing how 'slow' 80 - 90 mph feels! I'm in Birmingham, to be honest I don't see many 3.2's about... If you buy it you wont regret it :)