Needle Sweep

I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
Found out yesterday, courtesy of Nick and his MY10 S3 at the Lakeside meet , that the S3 dails perform a needle sweep when the ignition is turned on.

Anyone know if this little peice of theatre can be applied to lesser models in the A3 range? Is it something that can be applied via vagcom?

If so is there anyone in the SE London/Kent area who could help out?

Found out yesterday, courtesy of Nick and his MY10 S3 at the Lakeside meet , that the S3 dails perform a needle sweep when the ignition is turned on.

Anyone know if this little peice of theatre can be applied to lesser models in the A3 range? Is it something that can be applied via vagcom?

If so is there anyone in the SE London/Kent area who could help out?

Excuse my inferior knowledge on this subject but what exactly is a needle sweep? Does that mean the needles just all got to maximum point then return to normal after a split second?

Excuse my inferior knowledge on this subject but what exactly is a needle sweep? Does that mean the needles just all got to maximum point then return to normal after a split second?

Yep thats correct! Dont think it serves any purpose but its looks cool!

:icon_thumright:

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely useless function but looks cool!

I read on another thread that this can be acheived thorugh DIS settings... under the 'SET' option.

Sadly it's not available on my 07 S3 - What a bummer!

Absolutely useless function but looks cool!!

Must agree, test drove a new S4 avant today which had this feature, wondered what the hell was going on when i turned the ignition on. Cool though.

Must agree, test drove a new S4 avant today which had this feature, wondered what the hell was going on when i turned the ignition on. Cool though.

Can't remember if it could be activated a different way if the DIS didn't support it.

Think I shut down the PC and went to sulk when I realised it wasn't available on my model! :motz:

Might go and dig for that original thread.

On my last 2 S3's it obviously had this function but doesnt always do it on start up, weirdly i have to turn the key quite fast to get it every time

Glad to see something of great use came out of yesterday's meet!! hehe

I must admit, it never wowed me that much, but yesterday having 3 of us huddled around my dash and being goaded to "do that again!" made me realise how much of a simple thing can be quite cool!

Last edited:
can i revive this? i absolutely want this when i get mine! is it possible? i will have 2010 black edition?

Just activated this on my Q5 using VAG-COM. Looks cool. Not sure if it's possible on the A3. My S3 is due in Sept/Oct. It had better be on that!

S3 clocks have different counters in terms of max speed and revs. I assume this wouldn't be feasibile.