Audi Bodycare

sixfoottwo

Reaction score
Getting my new BE next month. Is the Audi bodycare worth an extra £500 or so?

I think the concensus would be that if you went to a proper detailer, you would better protect your new car for much less than that.

I had the supaguard on mine, but there's noone here in Guernsey that could have properly washed and waxed the car for me.

Chris

do it yourself get some polish, topcoat and some wax it will cost around £60 and half a day in total. 1 coat of polish one of top coat for sealing the shine then wax to seal and protect, you could just do 1 coat of polish then one of wax but im fussy so i do both lasts around 4 months before it starts to need done again. i recommend auto glym high deff wax

lol yeah you tend to get more and more anal about it, but hey the car does cost a lot i want mine to look good and find myself constantly cursing the weather for dirtying my car :p

The dealer wanted £390 for autoglym lifeshine for my a3, so i bought one on the bay for £25, the real thing too. Bought a clay kit, and did the job myself, sorted!

I got the LifeShine with my BE. Being niave to the whole car care side of things, it seemed like a good idea to me (I still used a bucket, sponge and washing-up liquid on my old car). When I got the car there was a small sticker in the top of the windscreen that stated "AutoGlym LifeShine". And I got a rather snazzy bag of car cleaning stuff. But, considering what it cost that was a very expensive bag of car cleaning products!

The first thing I did when I came to wash my new BE was to buy two new builders buckets and a decent wash mitt. This was the single best thing I could've done to preserve the paint (NEVER use a sponge on it as you'll get nasty swirl marks (black really shows this up! ***) - I'd have laughed this off in the past, but considering how much the car cost...). Since then I've had a go at claying it and waxing it. If I can do it then anyone can!

So in hindsight I'd recommend giving the AutoGlym Lifeshine a stiff ignoring. Instead buy yourself some quality cleaning kit. It'll cost you a fraction of the price of the lifeshine.

Cheers,
Phill
*** I had a fault with the car which the dealer fixed for me. They kindly washed it for me (god knows what with - a broom/sponge/sandpaper) and it now has loads of swirl marks on it :jump:. So the Lifeshine wasn't that effective after all!

my washing procedure is first a heated steam clean with tfr on the low end of the car, then a hand wash with a sponge in a large bucket of water with dog shampoo (yes dog shampoo its great and you get it wholesale i have ben using it for years and its the best car shampoo ever :laugh:) trick to not getting swirl is obviously first romoveing most teh dirt with a pre steam clean and then taking a full sponge of water per panel so you dont pickup any *****, i was brought up in the car trade and my car still looks fantastic without swirl and thats over a year since i detailed it. it also usually gets polished topcoated and waxed every 3 months still looks fantastic every time i wash it. :)

I agree with the above, dealers always sting you for their "paint protection". My brother runs a detailing business and you can pick up the superguard product for next to nothing, but dealers all want £500 to do it for you ... and then it's not as good as something like the Blackfire kits you can get from Polished Bliss!

Give your money to a proper detailer if you don;t want to do it yourself and save you'll have plenty of change from your £500 for other goodies.

detailing is getting bigger and bigger now! my missus got the ford paint protection on her ka but thats mainly because of the warrenty you get with it, if the leather gets marked or the paint, they will repair it free of charge!

id pay a detailer to get it done if i were you, detailing yourself is ok but very hard to get into without the right tools and knowledge. i detail cars, but only like friends and families as its not a business for me but a hobby.

first off, get two buckets, possibly one with a grit guard at bottom. two mitts, one for a pre wash and the other for after (always use the pre wash mitt for the dirty stuff, ie, lower parts of car) try and get a degreaser of some sort, i use a citrus degreaser to spray on lower parts of car and leave it to soak in for a few mins then rinse off with pressure washer, (a pressure washer will be worth buying if you do not have one)

get yourself a foam lance, this is basically a connector for the pressure washer thats holds a mix of shampoo and water, when using the pressure washer with this on, the water that comes out, turnes into foam because of the shampoo and sits on your car for about 5 mins and this loosens the thick heavy dirt. rinse off again with P/W.

use 'dirty' mitt to wash lower parts of car, after a few strokes wash the mitt in seconds bucket which should be filled with just plain warm water. this is used for cleaning your mitt so you dont end up washing your car with a dirty mitt. once the thick heavy dirt has gone, replace dirty water with clean again and use the clean mitt for the whole car.

the more you learn about detailing the more you can do. so to start you can just do a few coats with a fine polish then wax, but there is a lot more out there! such as, clay, glaze, sealant, wax and LSP sprays

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk

go on here and look at the different products and you will start to realise how big this detailing is getting.

one last thing. buy bilberry wheel cleaner for your alloys, there is a lot out there that is acidic and can ruin your alloys over time, this stuff is safe and PH neutral. if you want tips then ther are plenty of people on here that can help or go onto detailingworld.