Strange problem with A3 2.0TDI.........

Dr.Mumby_RS6

Reaction score
Well the misses had to ring the RAC the other day, I couldnt believe the A3 2.0TDi (2004) had totally just stopped! I thought it was bullet proof!

Well she thinks she may have run it out of diesel, so the RAC chap put 10 literes in and it still wouldnt have any of it, just cranking it and it wouldnt fire. If she had run it out of fuel I wouldnt have thought it would take to much to get it going again as they are auto bleeding arent they?

Well anyhow I've put my diagnotic kit on it and it comes up with 'fuel pump relay faulty'. So I found the relay under the driver side dash and tested it and its fine, even changed it for another to make sure and still same problem, hmm. I've wipped off a fuel line to the fuel filter and when cranking nothing is coming though, so the problem must be the pump or some other relay?

I don't know if this is linked, but the car also had the intake manifold flap problem, which I hadnt got round to fixing, I gather that is a common fualt on the earlier 2.0TDI's.

Anyway I've got to get it fixed this weekend, just wondering if anyone had anytips....

Many thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the site.

Check fuses if not checked already, maybe one has gone if relay ok, check the pump under the rear seats as this is a possible issue here, if its this, then PM me as I have a working pump for sale for the same year & engine, even with IMF I cant see how that would restrict the pump if no other faults are apparent with a scan, but you really do need to resolve the flap issue asap mate as this are synonymous for going wrong & leaving for longer could cause other issues aswell mate.

Thanks for reply mate :) Yea checked all the fuses, I can only assume it is the pump, looking on elsa win manual it apears there is two pumps before it goes to high pressure pump i.e. a pick up pump from tank and a supplementary one inline, but I would think if its going to be either one of them it will be the actual pick up pump, as literally nothing is coming through and you would of thought a bit would if say the pick up pump was working and the supplementary one was down. Yes I totally agree mate, the IMF will be getting changed this weekend too hopefully, got one coming though the post :)

So is it a common fualt for fuel pumps to going on these? I suppose because the tank was run so low it could have picked up some muck and jammed pump, seems unlikly, but guess you never know....

Cheers Rich.

Its a fault where the intake manifold flap (throttle body) basically starts sticking, when it does this the motor used to control it jams and blows the fuse, then you get the orange light up, and on a scan you get an error for intake manifld flap and aircon fans, but thats just because they are on same circuit. Its usually on higher milleage ones, Audi did accept it to be a bit of a problem and released a revised part, but is about £250 quid i think! Sometime they will just clean up with a bit of carb cleaner I hear, Im getting a second hand one off a low milleage 07 model though, so hopefully should be ok.

Not a common fault afaik tbh, you could try removing rear bench, disconnecting the pipes into pump & getting an airline in there & blow air either way to see if that helps, but I can only think of the pump under the bench that would cause any issues atm if nothing coming through to the fuel filter as this pumps through to the filter huh, let me know if pump is kaputt as can have mine of me a hell of alot cheaper than audi, you do know these things are over £100, nearly fell over when I upgraded mine to allow for newer cluster version.

The IMF issue is actually down to the teeth inside the unit that break of, so the mechanism fails to move the flap properly, plastic teeth iirc, unreal for such an important part, cut down on noise my butt, lol

Bloomin heck £100, right well hopefully its not the pump then! I will most certainly contact you if it is though mate, thanks....don't suppose your local to Lincolnshire? Ah plastic teeth failing, I might take my new second hand one apart and investigate before I put it on then......yea you wouldnt of thought Audi would skimp there.

Nah sorry mate not local, but could send it next day delivery if need be.

Yeah my point exactly, how can you put plastic teeth in a component like that, wtf huh, yeah take that one apart & see if its ok, check what version it is & if its superseded version that corrects that issue.

Ok mate, well you may very well get a pm this weekend from me. Is there away of telling if its the new version, i.e. codes? does the new one have metal teeth? Thanks :)

Usually the part number will go up in letter so if yours is an A & the one you have is say a G then you know its newer, yeah welcome to PM.