Which is better? Shark performance STS unit or Chipper UK ST3

Thats the same unit from what I can see, just rebadged to suit, its same size, shape, button layout etc, check with Ben@shark, but to me cant see difference, maybe price is different.

Yer big difference in price. Contacted both of them
STS - £449 with shark performance maps
ST3 - £350 with chipped uk maps
They both said it depends on what car its for, obviously need to be loaded with the correct maps.

Anyone have one of these units?
Is the shark performance one worth the extra money?

I'd go with Shark Performance each and every time, as I can vouch for the software as I have it on my A3, and my cousin is currently have his 2003 Big Turbo TT re-re-mapped. Give Ben a call if you have any doubts, he will re-assure you!

N8 i bet you they are all the same map as the Alientech box is sold preloaded with two maps an ecomany and sport map direct from the makers.

Sorry N8 but I have to agree with Mikey, I too think they're the same maps, just packaged differently, maybe Ben could advise.

How do you know? Have you seen/read the files ?

Does the one from tuning tools come with the map pre loaded??

Best email or phone them mate as it was several years ago i bought mine. The web price is with two maps pre installed same as everyone else but they might be able to get blank boxes.

Just wanted to clear something up on this - the units are bought in from Alientech but they do NOT come "with" maps - each tuner writes their own maps and the units are coded to each individual tuner, i.e. you cannot use a Shark Performance STS with a Chipped UK ST3 map etc.

Shark Performance STS units use Shark Performance maps, Chipped UK ST3 units use Chipped UK maps. Hope that helps :)

N8 i bet you they are all the same map as the Alientech box is sold preloaded with two maps an ecomany and sport map direct from the makers.

Just to clarify, the box is not preloaded with maps. The unit reads the original map from the car, you send that to the tuner of your choice and they code the modified maps for you and send them back. Each map is coded indivudually as they cannot be used more than once on more than one box etc.

Just to clarify, the box is not preloaded with maps. The unit reads the original map from the car, you send that to the tuner of your choice and they code the modified maps for you and send them back. Each map is coded indivudually as they cannot be used more than once on more than one box etc.
You might put a code in your maps so the end user cannot use the map more then once but that nothing to do with the Alientech box. I have tried several maps and have them stored on my computer and Alientech box. I can change the map on my car and upload them as many times as i like back and forth. The maps also happen to be written by two different people in two different countries who work for two different companies.

Just wanted to clear something up on this - the units are bought in from Alientech but they do NOT come "with" maps - each tuner writes their own maps and the units are coded to each individual tuner, i.e. you cannot use a Shark Performance STS with a Chipped UK ST3 map etc.

Shark Performance STS units use Shark Performance maps, Chipped UK ST3 units use Chipped UK maps. Hope that helps :)

The units are coded to each individual car not the tuner. If you deside to lock the unit to only acept the maps with a security code from where ever you buy your maps from thats done by you.

Sorry Mikey, but you don't have the full picture.

There's more than one version of the Alientech Powergate - the Powergate S is I think what you have (from your description) and maps can be loaded to it from any source for flashing to one individual car, which unlocks again once the original map has been programmed back to the car.

The Powergate SL is coded to the tuner with the corresponding master unit AND only one car at a time.

Then there's the Powergate M which allows you to erase it and program as many cars as you like, with any map that you like, and again the ML which allows erasing for use on multiple cars but is still coded to the tuner with the corresponding master.

With the SL unit the maps are coded against the original map that came from that individual car, so for example if you obtained a Stage 1 map for a PD140 you wouldn't be able to send it to a friend with a PD140 as it wouldn't work with their Powergate.

Hope that clears things up. If you need further clarification then I suggest you speak to Alientech directly :)

Master & Slave
Powergate can also work in Master/Slave mode (especially for tuners). It allows to give to our customers an instrument that can work only with files provided by the master.

POWERGATE Versions
POWERGATE, to satisfy many ways of work, it is suggested in the following versions:
POWERGATE S, or STANDARD, a available for all communication protocols, linked permanently at the chosen vehicle.
POWERGATE M0X or Multivehicle, available from M01 to M08 version, for pro tuners who want to map a large number of vehicles.
POWERGATE R, known as POWERGATE FORD, allows to read and write vehicles of Ford Motor Company group.
POWERGATE SL, or STANDARD SLAVE, with the features of POWERGATE S, but with SLAVE mode. (as previously explained).
POWERGATE ML, or MULTIVEHICLE SLAVE, with the features of POWERGATE M, but with SLAVE mode.

Yes i have a Powergate S as i don`t see the point of buying one of the best devices on the market that can switch maps on a moden day car then be suck with one companies bought in maps. Anyone who is thinking about buying one of these devices would be an idiot for buying a Powergate SL when you can buy a Powergate S cheaper without maps on it then put whatever maps you like from who ever you like as many times as you like on it. By the way i was the first customer of Alientech to buy a Powergate device to work on an Audi 8P PD140 quattro BKD and worked via email to get the basic Powergate software to work on the EDC 16 ECU on my car. This was then copied on to the Powergate devices you now sale, so i do know just a tiny bit about this device and have had several conservations with the guys that program it.

By the way i was the first customer of Alientech to buy a Powergate device to work on an Audi 8P PD140 quattro BKD and worked via email to get the basic Powergate software to work on the EDC 16 ECU on my car. This was then copied on to the Powergate devices you now sale, so i do know just a tiny bit about this device and have had several conservations with the guys that program it.

Thankyou for the lesson Mikey. It seems you know more about it than I do, which makes me wonder how you managed to post such a fundamentally flawed piece of information earlier in the thread.

Either way, I'm glad it's cleared up now :)

Just so that you all have the complete list :)

Powergate II S (Rw – Slave – All Brands)
Powergate II SL (Rw – Slave Encrypted – All Brands)

Powergate II M (Rw – Master/Slave – All Brands)
Powergate II M01 (Rw – Master/Slave – Fiat/Alfa/Lancia)
Powergate II M02 (Rw – Master/Slave – VAG)
Powergate II M03 (Rw – Master/Slave – BMW/Mini)
Powergate II M04 (Rw – Master/Slave – Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Mercedes)
Powergate II M05 (Rw – Master/Slave – Land Rover)
Powergate II M07 (Rw – Master/Slave – PSA/Renault)
Powergate II M08 (Rw – Master/Slave – Opel/Saab)
Powergate II R (Rw – Master/Slave – Ford)
Powergate II – Encrypt /Decrypt unit

www.chiptunawarehouse.com - Alientech Distributor

Damn, 1st time seen administrators post anything except site updates, lmfao.

lmfao, can you perform another one mate, stop the poxy text disappearing when you start typing new post, page has finished loading but its when you type some text it deletes some & possibly goes down a line.