Odd cruise control fault

pdv40

Reaction score
Was on the M40 and clicked on the cruise, just sat back in my seat and I heard this sort of 'tock' noise, like the sound when you press the door lock button. Cruise light when off and the car started slowing down, so I accelerated back up to my original speed and tried to re-activate, nothing happened, no light, no cruise.

I thought maybe a relay or fuse had blown but I kept trying it nonetheless, nothing happened. Got to my meeting, the car was parked up for a few hours, on the way home it came back to life and has been working as normal since.

Any ideas?

I had the cruise turn of & fail to enable until a restart & this was on way back from Italy, never did find out cause but hasnt been issue since mate, strange.

My cruise used to do that on my Pigot 406 Coupe especially on long journeys. turned out to be to fine an adjustment on the brake pedal knock off switch and for some reason when the brakes were hot the pedal didn't come up quite as high so the cruise disengage was on. adjusted the free play in the pedal switch and it was fine.

Interestingly I was on a long trip, strange cause it has never happened before & no obvious reasons or codes thrown, I'll however check that out Pat, but I'm wondering if it has some silly time limit on the cruise or an inherent fault, I'll quiz audi tomorrow if possible.

I found that if i hooked my foot under the brake pedal and pulled it up i could then get cruise to engage, but then it was French !!

I've done huge stints in it before, like 8-10 hours and cruise has worked perfectly for the entire stint. This time I'd only been going about an hour, very weird. Did four hours today and no further problems so I assume it's some random electronic gremlin. Thanks for all your help so far though :)