My S3 Revo stage2 at Santa Pod - very impressed

R7SAN

Reaction score
I though I would share with you all my findings regarding Revo Stage2.
I am new to the whole modifying game so I was excited to find out what adding Revo Stage2 gave performance wise.
It took a few goes to get used to the light sequence/staging and being aggressively brave with the clutch.

My best time on the day was 13.53 @ 104.1mph. No doubt there are lots of people on here that could do better but as it was my first time I was pleased with the performance I got out of the car.

I was surprised to find out that you are now allowed to have passengers at Santa Pod

The video below is my Black S3 (with passenger) up against the Red S3 Revo Stage2+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0hxrbcy2A

Mine is a 2009 S3 - modifications are : Miltek TBE, Forge DV, Pipercross panel filter, Revo stage2 software.
I spoke to the driver of the Red S3 and his modifications are: TBE, DV, dbilas intake, HPFP, racing clutch SMFW, Revo Stage 2+ software.

Apparently he was having problems changing gear.
I am thinking of going stage2+ in the future so it was interesting to see that an up rated clutch with a SMFW might cause problems with gear selection. Is this typical ?

I know there has been many a debate on here regarding DMFW Vs.SMFW but can someone
tell me what are the alleged pro's and cons of each?

For now I think I will go the DMFW route as my S3 is a daily driver, but it would be interesting to hear what advatange a SMFW is supposed to give.

Last edited:
No doubt Iggu will be along real soon to answer your questions, either that or send him a PM, I know he went for DMF and is very happy with the set up.

In Iggu's absence!.....the SMF offers the following advantage(s)...

Lower overall mass which can be useful in terms of inertia on acceleration,but the drawback is added NVH...noise,vibration and harshness,which the DMF was primarily designed to damp out in diesels,before it was applied to petrol engines also.
The DMF has it's own set of problems,with it wearing alongside the clutch,neccessitating replacement if the clutch is replaced,plus not infrequent failure of the mass damping system,and unfortunate consequences for the casing etc.

For road use,the SMF is not recommended although a couple of guys here do use it.

For Stage2+,you will definitely need an uprated clutch....mine lasted to about 10 000 miles and gave up the struggle when the software for 2+ was loaded.

I have a SMFW and the noises,hardness and vibrations are nothing compared to what the gains are in terms of acceleration and launching. The noises are not that lauder than stock, not that much, plus a good thing for SMFW is that you can brake stronger with the engine,especcialy on the track. If somene is going Stg2+ I DMFW is not a way to go, because there are no benefits of acceleration and launches, and that kind of a driver that is looking for performance will easely regard a few lauder noises and very little vibrations, Especcialy when the clutch is combined with the VF-engennering Engine mounts, the car fells WAAAAYYYY better that "STOCK" justs drives and shifts much much better.

P.S. A 1/4 mile race with a passenger?????!!!!!!! WHY? But still there is room for improvment because 13.5 is not that nice... I think you could do better really. My friend (A4 DTM on forum)with Stage 2 only and without the rear seats did 12.8. :) :)

Last edited:
Autocar recorded 13.6 to 100mph with a standard s3 in 2007 and 0-400m in 13.9 sec 102 mph

You got a good run there, I'd be happy with a 13.5 second run with a passenger on my first day out. With stage 2+ I'd expect you to knock half a second off that easy.... Put it on a diet and we're talking.
BTW, if you do daily driving i'm sure most people would advise on the DMF.

what kind of times have the guys on here running stage 2+ made?

Cheers Davie

I've made 12.8 with exactly 330 HP and rear and passenger seat removed (ext temp vas 30c +) . So you should practice a bit more, your car can do much better time !

If you are going for SMFW then take only Helix, stay away from Sachs

I've made 12.8 with exactly 330 HP and rear and passenger seat removed (ext temp vas 30c +) . So you should practice a bit more, your car can do much better time !

Thats true... However, A4 DTM, I think with your current setup you should do better, right?? I dont know why alot of people are against SMFW, Im lovin it now when its setteld...

Ha ha.. That's my mate's red S3. I was chatting to you briefly in the queue when you two lined up against each other. You can hear on the video when it crunches it's tits off.. lol. Was a bit of a strange problem he had that day as it's not done it since and never did it before, just did it about 4 times in a row there. He did run a 13.1 @ 107mph on his first run thought to be fair and think he may sneak into the 12's with more practise (and so will I hopefully when going Stage 2+ in a few months)..
Think Ed (my mate) will be getting a dogbone insert and hope that may prevent any further problems when running up the strip. In regards to the SMFW, I can honestly say that it isn't anywhere near as bad as people think. I was trying my nest to talk him out of it when reading about them on here and speaking with Iggu, But he still ordered the Spec Stage 3 clutch and solid flywheel kit and apart from it talking a few 100 miles to settle in and a slight rattle on tick over when cold, I was very suprised with how good it was and would definately recommend it. I would even look at one if I was manual and had clutch issues and I HATE any sort of rattles or harshness....

^^^^ That was meant to be from me, but just realised my mate was signed in on my computer from the other day... LOL :asskicking:

Last edited:

Cracking time that mate, but I think you boys seem to run a lot quicker times over there compared to us in the UK (same with the Romanian guys too). Not sure if the strips are different or not but just seems to be a ruuning trend.

so if im running stage 2+ i should expect low high 12's low 13's

Cheers Davie

The last time i did the 1/4 mile in the rs4 at gti international,i can't remember the 1/4 mile time but
0-60 time was 4.1 seconds but after plenty of nagging i took my mate and only managed 4.3 seconds,
obviously a bad start can effect times,but it defo felt different with the added weight,so i'm sure over a 1/4
mile having a passenger would effect your time quite a bit

so if im running stage 2+ i should expect low high 12's low 13's

Cheers Davie

With the right drive and lack of mechanical sympathy low 13's is a deffo, high 12's a possibility (although no body has done this @ Pod yet AFAIK)...

Cracking time that mate, but I think you boys seem to run a lot quicker times over there compared to us in the UK (same with the Romanian guys too). Not sure if the strips are different or not but just seems to be a ruuning trend.

Different fuel qualities in different countries can add up to quite a bit of a difference.

Well the Romanian guys will be pulled by horses, so that explains the difference.

i thought it was andy's but i would have thought running 400+ bhp it would be real low 12's so i assumed it was one like his. Santa Pod is a great quarter mile, been before they are really proffesional with keeping the surface perfect. If i can run anything lower than 13.5 i will be more than happy :)

Davie

I'd be suprised if you don't once Stage 2+ is engaged! :icon_thumright: