A3 2.0 TDI ''' TURBO'''

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Got this code yesterday and car went into limp mode.
It happened when i was doing about 50-60 mph and put my foot down

After switching car off then i restarted it and it was ok,never had the problem over the next 35 miles of driving.
Thort id post it on here as ive had this issue before,but not very often only once say every 2 months of driving.........is it common/normal ( i use the car once a week) on this occasion i used it after 2 weeks.

16618-boost pressure limit exceeded ( overboost condition) PO234-000-

Last edited:
Might be a problem with your turbo mate. I'd get it checked asap.

This maybe unrelated to your limp mode problems but my car did this twice the other week while driving down the local bypass, the car would not go over 60mph, as i say, twice this happened, turned the car off and back on again and all was fine, however last week the turbo went bang.. The error message which had been stored on my ECU was 'boost pressure limit exceeded'.

I had a similar problem, check all turbo related pipes for any pressure leaks

Your turbo over boosted for some reason which could be down to many many different reasons. Try and put the car on VAG COM just for the safe side but if it doesn`t happen again i wouldn`t worry to much about it.

happened twice in 3 months of driving it, never happened on a 200 mile journey a few weeks ago

Turbo linkages getting sticky will cause this fault. You can check them with a vacuum pump which will gradually pull the linkage from one extreme to the other. It should operate very smoothly without sticking. I've replaced many for this problem.

I have a new genuine Audi turbo, with the oil feed pipe and gaskets you need, for sale if any of you are interested. It's the latest supersession from the factory.

first of all check intercooler pipes and turbo pipes, if not a common fault on these is the boost regulator sensor, take it out and clean it with some brake cleaner stuff! plug back in and should be ok.

ive been giving the car some welly last day or so and had no issue's....where is the ' boost regulator sensor' and can i see the 'linkages' mentioned by mr v above?

The Turbo has variable vane technology so that the ecu can control the boost generated, the idea is with vanes you can change the exhaust flow. Over time these get gunked up with soot deposits from the engine and the ecu looses the ability to fine tune the amount of boost generated - hence the over boost code.

You have two options, 1. replace the turbo (same again or a hybrid turbo) 2. remove the existing turbo and clean up the exhaust side. My mate that is a mechanic has done this a number of times with out any problems but it can be labour intensive, so a recon turbo replacement may be a cheaper option depending on your mechanical skills.

Paul

Will it fit a 2.00 TDI quatro 2005? as my has just blown up.

Regards Brooke

first of all check intercooler pipes and turbo pipes, if not a common fault on these is the boost regulator sensor, take it out and clean it with some brake cleaner stuff! plug back in and should be ok.

Where is the boost pressure sensor? Is it easy to remove clean and replace?

The Turbo has variable vane technology so that the ecu can control the boost generated, the idea is with vanes you can change the exhaust flow. Over time these get gunked up with soot deposits from the engine and the ecu looses the ability to fine tune the amount of boost generated - hence the over boost code.

You have two options, 1. replace the turbo (same again or a hybrid turbo) 2. remove the existing turbo and clean up the exhaust side.

^^^^ this. can be hard to separate the exhaust side from the rest of it tho. they rust and seize together.

its not going to be the pressure sensor.
and the "black box with the six/seven pipes going to it" is all the vacuum pipes that run the egr vvt etc systems. nothing to do with the pressure sensor directly.
boost pressure sensor will be a 4 wire sensor in the boost pipework somewhere or mounted on top of the intercooler.

yes MURRAN is dead right,sorry the boost sensor if im right is on the big pipe just after the maf sensor.

I had the same problem with the car going into limp mode on my 2.0 TDI, as crazy as it sounds it was sorted by giving the car a good thrashing! Gave it a couple of runs through the gears revving it just short of the red line and it seems to have cleared out enough of the soot in the turbo to solve the overboost. So if you drive it 'normally' its worth a shot before you start spending lots of $$$!