EM TuningVolks Autos

Thread: DMF Knackered!

3rd Gear

Status

DMF Knackered!

Dropped my car off at the garage this morning to get my Sachs Performance Clutch installed, just got a call there to tell me the DMF is gubbed - excessive play in it.
    My car has only done 19800 miles, The DMF's are like chocolate in these cars. My car is on 07 with LUK clutch and flywheel. Going to order up the Sachs DMF and do away with the LUK setup. Does anyone have the Sachs DMF number to hand?

Cheers Davie

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I say go for the sach reinforced clutch cover and single mass flywheel! I have the full setup in my 2.0tdi. It makes a vibrating noise on idle, but when I floor it its worth the noise on idle. and the SMF is lighter, so easier on your gearbox
    Last edited by navnayyar; 25th January 2010 at 15:04.

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by navnayyar View Post
    I say go for the sach reinforced clutch cover and single mass flywheel! I have the full setup in my 2.0tdi. It makes a vibrating noise on idle, but when I floor it its worth the noise on idle. and the SMF is lighter, so easier on your gearbox
    I have the reinforced clutch cover and disk, i dont want to go down the SMF route as i have heard cars with SMF's installed and they sound terrible at idle. There are several users on here that have had gear changing issues with the SMF so i want to avoid a SMF unless my new DMF fails. Iggu on here run the Sachs kit and Sachs DMF and has had no issues.

Davie

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by navnayyar View Post
    A SMF isn`t "easier" on the gearbox but more likely to prematurely wear or damage gearbox parts as the input shaft and linkage is rattling around loose instead of been held in place like it should be.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by david_phillips95 View Post
    Dropped my car off at the garage this morning to get my Sachs Performance Clutch installed, just got a call there to tell me the DMF is gubbed - excessive play in it.
    My car has only done 19800 miles, The DMF's are like chocolate in these cars. My car is on 07 with LUK clutch and flywheel. Going to order up the Sachs DMF and do away with the LUK setup. Does anyone have the Sachs DMF number to hand?

Cheers Davie
    This happened to my Golf, so when I got the call I had the car recovered back to the dealer (gearbox etc in Boot!!) and they replaced the whole lot under warranty as the DMF IS covered ubder the warranty as its not a wear item.
    The clutch was replaced FOC also as it was considered `consequential` damage subsequent to DMF failure.

Might be wrth getting some miles out of a brand new OEM Sachs set up before you need to fit the uprated stuff?

Worst thing they can say is `No` so maybe worth a try?

Good luck

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    This happened to my Golf, so when I got the call I had the car recovered back to the dealer (gearbox etc in Boot!!) and they replaced the whole lot under warranty as the DMF IS covered ubder the warranty as its not a wear item.
    The clutch was replaced FOC also as it was considered `consequential` damage subsequent to DMF failure.

Might be wrth getting some miles out of a brand new OEM Sachs set up before you need to fit the uprated stuff?

Worst thing they can say is `No` so maybe worth a try?

Good luck

Cheers
    Paul
    I was thinking of doing this but im fed up dealing with Audi, Im going to take the hit for this as i know if audi were to change the DMF they will fit another LUK DMF. At least if i order the Sachs DMF and have it fitted i know its right.

I had a good look through ETKA and found the Sachs DMF (i think anyway lol) 06F 105 266AD - Could someone confirm this is the Sachs DMF??

Cheers Davie

Neutral

Status
    Did you get the Sachs kit direct from them for 605 euro ???
    Ive been searching with little success for it slightly cheaper !

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ3BLUE View Post
    Did you get the Sachs kit direct from them for 605 euro ???
    Ive been searching with little success for it slightly cheaper !
    Yeah i bought mine from sachs for 605 Euro.

Davie

5th Gear

Status
    Dave it might me worth trying Audi, my mate had his LUK clutch and dual mass replaced under warrenty with a sachs. His car is the same as mine S3, 57 plate, 44k miles on the clock, he had it replaced under warrenty in dec. Mine is in Audi as we speak for clutch slipping hopefully they will replace (fingers crossed). I removed the CAI, DV and map.

The OEM DMF I think is about Ł615 ish inc vat retail
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by devonmikeyboy View Post
    A SMF isn`t "easier" on the gearbox but more likely to prematurely wear or damage gearbox parts as the input shaft and linkage is rattling around loose instead of been held in place like it should be.
    i asked this in one of the other threads and you said "I have never heard of or seen any damage done to a gearbox by using a SMF. Getting used to the rattle does take a lot of putting up with though." http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthr...stage2-ordered-) and now your saying my gearbox is at risk :S if this is the case i dont mind chaning back to DMF

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

As far from JBS as possible !

Status
    I haven`t seen or heard of any damage done myself but the whole point of the DMF is to stop the vibration in the gearbox linkage when the car is in neautral. When the car is in neautral with a SMF people like myself tend to hold the clutch peddle down so as not to have the horrible rattling noise which will over time wear the clutch realise bearings and the springs out on the coverplate. I bloody hate SMF`s on diesel cars and would love to go back to a DMF if i could. I was just pointing out that you where saying a SMF was in some way better for the gearbox which it isn`t. A SMF is a performance part that since it is 6KG + lighter then a DMF means it takes less power to turn so the car can accelerate quicker.
    06 Audi 2.0 PD140 Sport TDI Quattro S-LINE.
    Old engine 330 bhp @ flywheel 263 bhp @ wheel 490 lb torque. Audidriver write up HERE
    Now stripped and playing with an uprated Cryo treated engine fitted with bigger turbo,water/methanol,uprated injectors etc etc.Wanting 400 bhp and 500 lb torque.

Other car 500+ bhp MK4 Golf R32 turbo.

Status
    A mate of mine who runs an Audi TT with a Rotrex supercharger on it switched to a SMF, and the crank sheared. The DMF absorbs damaging vibrations in high powered engines, and he is convinced the SMF cause the premature failure. Know very little about them, but I've been warned off from them.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

6th Gear

Status
    You could always speak to someone like the service manager and see if they would be willing to cover the labour costs to fit an uprated clutch system supplied by yourself, they could claim the labour back via the warranty.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by david_phillips95 View Post
    Yeah i bought mine from sachs for 605 Euro.

Davie
    does anyone have a web address to where these can be found

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by brownie 25 View Post
    does anyone have a web address to where these can be found
    The Sachs uprated drive plate and clutch retail at Ł568.41 from uk supplier,

The new OEM dual mass retails at Ł621.23

PM me if your interested as I can get them discounted
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

Boycie

Status
    The OEM DMF can be bought from buypartsby.co.uk for Ł255 or Ł303 from Eurocarparts

The Sachs clutch kit can be bought from Sachs for Ł550

Most UK distributors sell the Sachs kit for Ł620-650

Sachs don't make a DMF

Neutral

Status
    The flywheels can be had for Ł207+vat !! Genuine Oem LuK ones
    SILVER S3.......GIAC ECU & FLASHLOADER.....ITG INTAKE.....SACHS ORGANIC CLUTCH........ROLLING @ 328bhp...321lbs/ft

Boycie

Status
    Indeedio!!! Ordering mine tomorrow from buypartsby since Euro shafted me!!!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    Indeedio!!! Ordering mine tomorrow from buypartsby since Euro shafted me!!!
    Thats where i got mine .....no hassels at all.
    SILVER S3.......GIAC ECU & FLASHLOADER.....ITG INTAKE.....SACHS ORGANIC CLUTCH........ROLLING @ 328bhp...321lbs/ft