DSG Reliability, A3 2TDI 140

doug34

Reaction score
Just about to have my oil replaced in the DSG gearbox at 40000 miles
Car is just out of warantee being 3 yrs old , I heard that you can get a lot of problems with the DSG as early as 60000miles and repair bills of £3-5 thousand pounds .
Have had the vehicle from new and was looking for advice as to whether this is a common problem and whether I should be thinking of replacing it .
Thanks

I'm on my third A3 2.0TDI with a DSG. A 140 PD, a 170PD and know a 140 CR. All have been owned for almost three years and 36-37k miles and I've had no problems at all. If your concerned about any possible problems and the costs why not consider an extended warranty on the car either from Audi or someone like Warranty Direct. Get some quotes and compare the costs.

I don't think problems are all that common. Just when they do have problems, the repair bills are huge. My car had a new box before I bought it at about 40k miles. As Dave said, consider a warranty if you're concerned... warranty premiums are a lot cheaper than DSG boxes, but more often than not, the warranty company is the winner, not the purchaser.

Mine's a DSG 2.0TDI 140 (now mapped) and my car is on about 28k, I've had no problems whatsoever, I will extend my warranty after its 3 years old in 2011.

Thanks..