New User, NEW S3 ;-)

hotrod99

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wanted to introduce myself as a new user here on the Forum. I pick up my brand new S3 on Feb 6th. Just wanted some help from some of you more experienced owners who might be able to answer the following questions:-

1) What is the run period on a new S3. Is the run period recommended as i've heard that new engines are already run in?! Will this benefit future fuel economy?
2) For those of you who owned brand new, did you find that they drink a lot of oil to start with (i know this is normal for most new cars).

My Spec:-

• Phantom Met Black
  • Styling Pack
  • Bose System
  • DVD Sat Nav
  • Bucket Recaro Seats
  • Heated Front+Reat Seats
  • Mobile Phone Prep

:sign_welcome: to the forum ..

It's going to cost you ! , next you will want this doing and that doing , Nice spec ...
Another set of buckets , EXCELLENT !

I've had mine 6 months now from new, I took it easy for 500 miles and didn't really cane it until 1000. There wasn't any significant oil use, I haven't had to top it up since I had it. Fuel economy isn't really the name of the game with the S3 but it might help a bit

Welcome to the forum mate, i took it easy (didnt really take it past 4k revs) for about 700 miles as that was what i was told by the dealer, i dont think you need to really run these engines in but its always good for piece of mind

Same here - took it easy for first 1000 miles. Still revved it but no full throttle acceleration, (no driving miss daisy driving !)

I've just had to top up my oil after 8000 miles, (1/2 ltr) which is obviously not excessive at all. Although I've heard of some others having to use the full 1 litre well before that. Just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest the car was already spec'd up and in the dealership so i ended up doing a deal on that. I was told the waiting list for a new S3 3dr was until May 2010!! (who would have thought it!)

Anyway the spec on this car was much higher than that of what i would have added if i had built to order. Nonetheless looking forward to collecting. Will get some pics up. I'll play safe and run in for the first 1K miles (thats gonna be hard!)

Hi Hotrod! Welcome and congrats!

I picked mine up on Thursday, and i've had a grin on my face since!

As for running in, the Audi dealer said....keep it under 4k revs for 600 miles, after that you can give a bit of beans every now and then, then after 1200 miles, you're a free agent. That is also pretty much what it says in the handbook.

I've heard new engines are run in already too, but I can assure you that even after 400 miles in mine it feels so much looser than when I picked it up, that to me says that they are not run in already...

Last edited:
Hi Hotrod! Welcome and congrats!

I picked mine up on Thursday, and i've had a grin on my face since!

As for running in, the Audi dealer said....keep it under 4k revs for 600 miles, after that you can give a bit of beans every now and then, then after 1200 miles, you're a free agent. That is also pretty much what it says in the handbook.

I've heard new engines are run in already too, but I can assure you that even after 400 miles in mine it feels so much looser than when I picked it up, that to me says that they are not run in already...

Thanks for that Beanoir - Glad your enjoying the drive!! What kind of MPG are you getting at the moment?

Last edited:
Thanks for that Benoir - Glad your enjoying the drive!! What kind of MPG are you getting at the moment?http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/member.php?16923-beanoir

well i've done 400 miles, and it's showing 31.2 mpg, but I have been taking it steady (as per the above), I expect once I can give her some beans that will drop a bit, i'm expecting once i've got over the initial novelty, it'll be around 28mpg for my kind of driving.

well i've done 400 miles, and it's showing 31.2 mpg, but I have been taking it steady (as per the above), I expect once I can give her some beans that will drop a bit, i'm expecting once i've got over the initial novelty, it'll be around 28mpg for my kind of driving.
are you sure that s3 is right car for you with those figures??? i can't get it over 20-22. (but then again i drive most of the time in the town)

No mods planned at the moment. Want to get the car first! ;-)
that's what i was saying to, but ended up with few bits on it after 5 days :)
now i'm waiting for another few bits :jump:
as for runing in...i did a 1000miles, after about 500-600 gave it a few beans. as for oil consumption never had to top it and now i've have about 8000miles on the clock, but i guess that depends on the engine.
glad you've ordered one of the best cars in the class, and i hope you'll enjoy it as much as you can.
:beerchug: only few more days left :icon_thumright:

So S. what bits and parts are you waiting for???? :) :)

money and then intercooler.... :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Looking at your signature.....the stock intercooler is actually pretty good,and will do you as far as Revo 2+.

thanks...well then i'm saving money for the hpfp :) :) :)

thanks...well then i'm saving money for the hpfp :) :) :)

A better way to go....the HPFP is essential for Stage2+ and will smooth out the torque delivery across the midrange,without which it tends to drop off above 4500rpm.

You will also benefit from the full exhaust system as opposed to just the downpipe,if that's what you've currently got.

Above 370bhp,and with all of the above mods,it is worth looking at the intercooler,but at this level you are pretty much at the limit of the stock K04 turbo anyway.

There are much bigger gains to be had by going to a larger turbo after this level,and then the costs rise dramatically.

@ S.
Told you that HPFP is the way to go. :) :) Do it as soon as you can. However I must say that I was very suprised how much I gained with the Forge Intercooler, the results in 4,5 and 6th gear are MUCH better the car pulls MUCH stronger. However the first thing I would do is also the HPFP, you are probbably going with the Autotech internals????

@ S.
Told you that HPFP is the way to go. :) :) Do it as soon as you can. However I must say that I was very suprised how much I gained with the Forge Intercooler, the results in 4,5 and 6th gear are MUCH better the car pulls MUCH stronger. However the first thing I would do is also the HPFP, you are probbably going with the Autotech internals????
it's going off topic... :D :D :D
saw that :)
do not know for now..don't know who could assemble it properly in our area. how does the clutch feel?

Gents.

I see the thread has side tracked a little but thought i'd drop you fellow owners an update. Picked up the S3 yesterday and all is well. (BIG SMILE!)
Went for lunch with the Mrs and had it parked in a car park today where a scooby gathering was taking place! LOL! Had Scooby owners surrounding the car, looking inside etc. which is always nice!

In terms of everything else, i have to say the bucket seats are awesome and very comfortable. Wasnt something i was originally going to get but well worth it. The only issue i'm currently facing is having my Blackberry phone book appearing via the stereo. I can access it via the steering wheel but not via the nav unit - any advice would be much appreciated.

Covered around a 100 miles and been very good - kept it under the 3K rpm. Mostly motorway driving but showing around 30 MPG at present.
Overall though, very impressed. Cabin all lite up at night looks awesome!

Glad your enjoying your new toy...Some pics???

yeah...some pics would be nice :) :)
glad you're happy with it!
enjoy it as much as you can!