Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

HPFP Strip, Clean & Autotech Rebuild (Image Heavy)

I have decided to go stage 2+, the downpipe is organised the only thing left to sort out was th HPFP. KRL from here organised a group buy for the Autotech Internals on the mk5 golf gti forum so picked them up for 246.00 Cheers KRL Hoping to see the internals through the door in a couple of weeks.
    I managed to pick a HPFP from ebay for only 100 delivered, it was removed from an S3 engine with only 1000 miles (the engine had suffered from oil starvation as the oil pump chain snapped): link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S3-2-0T-P...item58859bba65

Decided to start the strip and clean of the pump, as this is a spare pump it allowed me to spend plenty of time stripping and cleaning it so nothing was rushed. I used the Autotech Guide you can find on their website: http://www.autotech.com/instructions/i127100k.pdf

The autotech guide is pretty good so if you stick to it you cant go wrong, they have listed the tools required in the guide but i will list what i used.

All tools and surfaces were cleaned thouroughly with IPA wipes to remove any soiling and small particles.

Tools:
    18mm socket & ratchet
    13mm spanner
    14mm spanner
    17mm spanner

Imperial spanners where used for the larger fittings as most of my larger tools are imperial not metric
    15/16" spanner or 24mm
    1" 1/4 spanner or 32mm

T25 Security Bit With Screwdriver attachment

Cleaning:
    Polythene Sheet To Cover Surface
    IPA Wipes
    IPA Aerosol
    IPA Fluid
    Compressor & Air Nozzle

IPA PRODUCTS

AIR NOZZLE

CLEANING SETUP

HPFP BEFORE STRIP

I worked in accordance with the Autotech guide and everything went to plan, the process to strip and clean took about an hour.

The process i used to clean the parts was:
    1.Submerge component in IPA for around 60seconds then scrub thoroughly with brush
    2.If components has area that are hard to get to use IPA Spray Can to flush the area clean.
    3.Use IPA Wipes to finally go over the component and remove any soiling.
    4.Using the Air Nozzle, Blow the component to remove any excess IPA.

Once i had carried out the process above the parts were placed on IPA Wipes on a clean surface till i was ready to bag the components.

STRIPPED INTO BITS

PARTS CLEANED AND PLACED ON IPA WIPES READY FOR BAGGING

The Image below shows the internal components split into two bags, i decided to put the larger bulkier components together as i didnt want to cause any metal to metal damage from a heavier components striking a smaller more fragile one. The Spring, Piston etc in one bag and parts from the Relief Valve etc in another bag.

CLEANED AND BAGGED

Once all the internal components were bagged, i re-assembled the housing, screwing all fittings back in loose. Once put together loose the pump body and fittings was bagged.

ALL THESE PARTS WERE INSTALLED TO THE BODY LOOSE.

CLEANED AND ASSEMBLED LOOSE THEN BAGGED TILL AUTOTECH KIT ARRIVES

Ill add pictures of the rebuild once i recieve the Autotech Internals

Cheers Davie
    Last edited by david_phillips95; 24th January 2010 at 15:27.

2. # ADS
    ADS

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Very nice work Davie, how long did it take you to strip the pump?
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

3rd Gear

Status
    sorry their isnt much detail in the thread was struggling for time to write it up, ill try add some more info tommorow. Took me around an hour, could be done far quicker but i cleaned everything twice inspected eveything twice. To strip it down you could do it in 10mins easy with the correct tools. Any idea when the autotech kits should arrive?

Cheers Davie

3rd Gear

Status
    Good luck with the pump, looks like you're going about it the right way.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers for the comments, cant wait for the internals to arrive so i can get it revuilt and installed

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by david_phillips95 View Post
    . Any idea when the autotech kits should arrive?
    Once the order is place with BSH it will probably take a couple of weeks (maybe more) to get them from the US, Dubtek will not place the order with BSH until he has all the funds which is understandable. So the quicker everybody pays up in the list the quicker we should get the pumps. We did set the payment deadline as the 5th of Feb. I bought my catch can through a similar on a group buy with Dubtek/BSH, unfortunately some of the cans got delayed in UK customs so it did drag it out a little.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Once the order is place with BSH it will probably take a couple of weeks (maybe more) to get them from the US, Dubtek will not place the order with BSH until he has all the funds which is understandable. So the quicker everybody pays up in the list the quicker we should get the pumps. We did set the payment deadline as the 5th of Feb. I bought my catch can through a similar on a group buy with Dubtek/BSH, unfortunately some of the cans got delayed in UK customs so it did drag it out a little.
    I got hit with customs charges on my VCDS so hopefully luck is with me and they let my Autotech Internals pass through lol As long as they come before April im not fussed, going to Crail 1/4 mile strip for a Fast Ford Event, Want to show them how its done haha

Cheers Davie

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by david_phillips95 View Post
    I got hit with customs charges on my VCDS so hopefully luck is with me and they let my Autotech Internals pass through lol As long as they come before April im not fussed, going to Crail 1/4 mile strip for a Fast Ford Event, Want to show them how its done haha

Cheers Davie
    Hopefully BSH will mark these pumps as gifts then we wont get the charges with a bit of luck!!
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    All we will pay is 246, that has already been agreed so no need to worry about.

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    Thats cool then, a real bargain to be had!!
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

3rd Gear

Status
    not long till ill be running stage 2+ now!!! cant wait

Davie

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    It will be silly fast

3rd Gear

Status
    internals arrived today happy days. Would have liked to rebuild the pump tonight but after working a 10hours shift i think my concentration level will be well below the norm lol ill have it all rebuilt next week in time for my MV downpipe to arrive

Thanks again KRL for setting up a brilliant groupbuy

Davie

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Will you be posting some pics up of pump rebuild?

3rd Gear

Status
    Will you be posting some pics up of pump rebuild?
    yeah ill take photos from start to finish, will need to get some clean polythene for the surfaces and give all the tools a good clean etc. Will probably rebuild it some time next week, will you be rebuilding your pump?

Davie

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    I might rebuild myself although I've not decided yet. Seeing your rebuild will give me a better idea of if I want to do it myself I think.

I am still debating with myself whether to install the pump at stage 1 or not. I do think it would bring good gains even at stage 1 as I can see with logging that the OEM HPFP struggles to maintain the requested rail pressure at any thing above B6. So if I install the HPFP at stage 1 I will be able to up the boost, richen up the fueling and possibly increase the timing as well due to the richer fueling.

3rd Gear

Status
    I will order my MV sport DP monday and hopefuly have it fitted by friday along with my rebuilt pump, then saturday take it to Drivers for my stage 2+ Map hopefully my master plan comes together lol
    Rebuilding the pump will not require alot of skill its just like a mechano set, take your time, keep everything immaculate and you wont go wrong.

Davie

Davie

3rd Gear

Status

HPFP Rebuild with Autotech Internals

Decided to get the pump built back together tonight, took a few pictures as i went. Didnt take as many as i would have like but i was quite paranoid about getting any foreign paticles on the components during build.

Anyway here's a quick and simple write up:

Set the bench up again and covered with clean polythene which was all wiped down the IPA wipes to ensure cleanliness. All tools and equipment was also cleaned in the same manner.

All the parts were removed from the bags and placed on the table, all parts were given a final clean with IPA wipes prior to assembly

Close up of the Autotech Internals Packaged

The internals were removed from the box and placed on IPA wipes, these were wiped down with IPA wipes also, ignore the metal button at the top of the picture this is part of the OEM setup.

Pump partially assembled, ready for autotech internals

Autotech internals installed just the spring and retainer and collets to fit

Installation of Autotech Internals Complete

All boxed and ready to fit this week

If you follow the Autotech instructions and keep everything immaculate you wont have any issues. Sorry there isnt much detail but as the assembly is critical i was being extra careful so didnt get many photos taken.

Cheers Davie
    Last edited by david_phillips95; 22nd February 2010 at 22:38.

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Excellent work Davie well done. How long did this take you?

2nd Gear

Status
    Looks spot on mate i will also be at stage 2+ buy saterday if all gose well . what cai are you useing ?

3rd Gear

Status
    Excellent work Davie well done. How long did this take you?
    Took me around an hour taking my time and making sure everything was perfect, if you done it quickly you could do it in around 20mins i would imagine as there isnt much to it. Follow the autotech instructions and you will be fine mate.

Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post
    Looks spot on mate i will also be at stage 2+ buy saterday if all gose well . what cai are you useing ?
    Im using Evoms Stage 2 CAI, currently cant make my mind up whether to change to a twintake or not. Need to have a good think about it.

Davie

Phantom black S3/

Status
    Congradulations, excellent work and a nice write up....
    Phantom Black S3/ APR stg 2+ / Forge CAI / APR HPFP / Miltek TBE / Forge DV / Forge Catch Tank / Forge T. body / VF Engine mounts / ECS EM / KW V3 / 19" BBS CH "Black" / 18" Team Dynamics Motorsort / Denso Iridium IK24 / Forge Twincooler / Helix Race Clutch + Flywheel / H&R ARBs / JVC Multimedia + TV Tuner / Kicker sound system over 3,000W RMS / TT-RS Steering wheel / Whiteline Anti-lift kit / Brembo Porsche GT2 BBK / soon: RECARO POLE POSITION SEATS,