Looking to buy an A3 - Advice Needed!!

samil87

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am looking to buy an A3 within the next month. I have a budget of around 10k.

I wanted to know the benefits and disadvantages of getting the 2.0 Petrol and TDI.

What's the 2.0 FSI engine like and whats the MPG like?

I do about 150miles a week so not a great deal and then in October I'll be going back upto Uni so then it'll just be the occasional trip to Birmingham and back.

I currently drive a 1.0L lowered polo which handles great but has no performance but I have had it since I was 18, now 22!!

What's the insurance and running costs of the diesel and petrol compared?

Thanks for your help

What's the 2.0 FSI engine like and whats the MPG like?

A bit crap, and a bit crap, respectively.

Between the 2.0 TDI and FSI, the TDI will feel quicker - 10bhp less, but a lot more torque.

The 2.0FSI is not a great engine, it was quickly replaced with the much better engine from the GTI (2.0 FSI Turbo). That engine is more economical, more powerful and loads of fun. I'd say if you're not doing many miles, stretch to the 2.0 T

The 2.0FSI is not a great engine, it was quickly replaced with the much better engine from the GTI (2.0 FSI Turbo). That engine is more economical, more powerful and loads of fun. I'd say if you're not doing many miles, stretch to the 2.0 T

Not true, the 2.0 FSI was not replaced by the TFSI. It was a 150bhp naturally aspirated engine, and the closest petrol 'equivalent' to the 2.0 TDI in terms of performance. The 2.0 FSI was available from launch, with the 2.0 TFSI joining it in the range about a year later.

Pete

thanx for the comments

i'll get on with looking for a TDI then

i really need a new car...hope i can find a good one soon

Not true, the 2.0 FSI was not replaced by the TFSI. It was a 150bhp naturally aspirated engine, and the closest petrol 'equivalent' to the 2.0 TDI in terms of performance. The 2.0 FSI was available from launch, with the 2.0 TFSI joining it in the range about a year later.

Pete

Yes but they stopped making it in 2005, and this is when the 2.0TFSI came in. The only other petrol alternative in 2005/6 was the 1.6. The 1.8 T then came in 2007.

Yes but they stopped making it in 2005, and this is when the 2.0TFSI came in. The only other petrol alternative in 2005/6 was the 1.6. The 1.8 T then came in 2007.

Ok but the 1.6 TDI came in shortly after they knocked the 3.2 V6 on the head. Hardly a replacement.

The 2.0 TFSI will be more cash to buy, insure, etc. than the 2.0 FSI.

Ok but the 1.6 TDI came in shortly after they knocked the 3.2 V6 on the head. Hardly a replacement.

The 2.0 TFSI will be more cash to buy, insure, etc. than the 2.0 FSI.

Yes I know what you mean but what I meant was that this was the only powerful petrol engine available then. Hence why I said IF you can stretch to it.

Ive had a REVO fwd 20T and its pretty handy.
Get in on the move or on a dry day and its a real world quick lump and easy a match for a stock S3.

"Very very" quick Mmmmm.......maybe not..... I guess it is depends on what you are used to.

Plenty enough IMO, for a while anyway.:icon_thumright:

cheers
Paul

The guys coming from a 1.0L Polo...........It will be very very very very very very quick !:faint:

A 2.0T would be very very quick but I don't think my insurance will stretch to it.

I think a 2.0TDI in sport or s-line guise will be perfect but its just a matter of finding a good one with decent milage, preferably below 50k!!!

I've been to two dealers this week only to find the car I was aftr got sold that morning.

yes i would like a 140bhp s-line....where am i looking??

Went to a few show rooms over the weekend.

Looks like I'm going to be buying it direct from Audi now.

So am going to have to up my budget a bit.