Retrofitting OEM wing mirror LEDs?

emeraldA3guy

Reaction score
How would one go about doing this for a 2006 model year A3.
Not looking to update to new style mirrors. I would like to keep original 06 style.

Edit: I forget to mention its for the puddle lights.

i stole this off ebay
%21Bh2zcG%21%212k%7E$%28KGrHqYOKjgEsn4HSGr1BLLR3OLvvQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

Last edited:
The two mirrors are completely different shape so no parts are interchangable. The only way I can think of doing it would to be drill out the lower part & insert LEDS but I cant see it being satisfactory.

I forget to mention that i want the puddle lights. let me edit real quick

You need to get the trims with led's built in from the A6 range & they are called surround lighting, not puddle lights, puddle lghts are the ones on the underside of the doorcards to highlight what you're stepping into.

They dont have wiring built into the door modules for this so has to be retro'd which I already started working on months ago but as I changed mirrors to the newer facelift ones I left it until now, glad you reminded me as I'm going to audi tomorrow.

Be warned those trims are £40-£50 each

alright. is that a standard option to have those surround lighting in uk? I am in the US and i dont think its a option here.

I dont think its standard on A6's, its certainly not available on the 8P but the mirrors were shared amongst several chassis which is why the trims fit the 8P.

As already stated it will fit the 8P, which covers all 8P cars

As already stated it will fit the 8P, which covers all 8P cars

So the trim on my S3 aluminim wing mirrors (the part where the LED is housed) is the same as all A3 8P models???

Of those particular mirror shape yes, which in this case that the OP is diuscussing would be all 8P cars from 03-08 before the facelift changed to dumbo ears, where the trim changed & the A6 chassis also changed there mirrors before this to the same shape as the facelift 8P.

You need to get the trims with led's built in from the A6 range & they are called surround lighting, not puddle lights, puddle lghts are the ones on the underside of the doorcards to highlight what you're stepping into.

They dont have wiring built into the door modules for this so has to be retro'd which I already started working on months ago but as I changed mirrors to the newer facelift ones I left it until now, glad you reminded me as I'm going to audi tomorrow.

Be warned those trims are £40-£50 each

Happy new year ppl. Hope you've had a wkd evening. I've recent gotten hold of some dumbos and was searching to see exactly what I'd have to do to retrofit them...

And I stumbled across this! Puddle lights/surround lights in my dumbos would be totally awesome... so from what I gather I'd need the wing mirror caps from an A6. Does anyone know if the dumbo caps are interchangeable the way the pre-MY09 ones were?

Ok so there's no wiring for them so how would I get them to work? Can I buy one of RobinA3's looms and modify that with a resistor for where the puddle light would go?

Cheers guys! And have a happy and prosperous 2011!!

S.