Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

S3 odd tyre wear !

I have looked at the health report from today’s bargain service at Audi, it states the following tread depth etc.

Front Left 5
    Front right 5
    Rear Left 5
    Rear right 2

They were all replaced at the same time about 16 months and 13,000 miles ago with Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysm. I also had the fronts and rears swapped about 7,000 miles ago. Don’t understand why these reading would occur. I did question it and they said they could check the drive train, I was on a while you wait service and due in a meeting so couldn’t wait at the time, thought the technician might of thought this was off and looked further.

I will check with my guage to ensure it was not a sausage finger mistake but a little worrying.
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

2. # ADS
    ADS

is a retronaut

Status
    Always check yourself mate. The readings given to me by Audi on my last service were quite a bit out.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Neutral

Status
    My mistake the Audi health check sheet actually said:-

Front Left 5
    Front right 5
    Rear Left 2
    Rear right 5

This makes more sense I guess as you go round right hand corners more and the rear one was on the front, although when they were changed they were all at 5.5mm. It had an MOT in December 1,000 miles ago and wasn’t flagged either.

I have just checked them myself tonight:-

Front Left 3.5
    Front right 4
    Rear Left 4
    Rear right 1.8

I am concerned that something is wrong with the Haldex or a suspension issue it seems very odd, over its 31,000 miles the service reports have shown even tyre wear. The 4 wheel tracking was done by Audi about 12 months ago and no kerb impact since, it has also worn down evenly to the 1.8mm

Neutral

Status
    Any ideas ?

Neutral

Status
    Spoke to Audi who confirmed it was likely to be continued wear from being on the front and they suspect at some point to the tyre pressure was off. I am getting 2 new tyres fitted and moved to the front. I will keep the one with 4mm left as a spare in the garage in the event of a nail in the future.

Local trusted MeritTyre have offered me a great deal on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym. 2 fitted for Ł205

4th Gear

Status
    you could try to rotate the tyres left to right as well as front to rear. this may combat one wearing dowm before the others??
    8P S3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3ollie View Post
    you could try to rotate the tyres left to right as well as front to rear. this may combat one wearing dowm before the others??
    The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym are directional so they would need to be taken off the rim to go on the other side. Ł210 in the end for 2 fitted seemed a great price, I called kwik fit for a comprison price. Goods news sir they are on special this month in the 15% sale. We can do 2 fitted for Ł315 !!!!

4th Gear

Status
    yeah bit of a ball ache but could be worth it in the long run
    8P S3

6th Gear

Status
    do a search for one of my recent posts, i had similar issues, mine turned out to be down to alignment issues on the rear, one of the wheels had moved 3mm in caster.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA3 View Post
    do a search for one of my recent posts, i had similar issues, mine turned out to be down to alignment issues on the rear, one of the wheels had moved 3mm in caster.
    Thanks once the search facility is wroking again I will do so.

Was your tyre wear across the entire tyre face or just one edge etc, mine was even acros the entire tyre?