2.0 TDI OIL LEAK!!!!! HELP NEEDED!

A3Alice

Reaction score
Hi, i am the owner of a 2004 A3 2.0 TDI SPORT. While driving on the motorway my oil light flashed on, i pulled into the nearest service station, topped up my car with oil and found there was a leak coming from underneath the car. To my stupidity, i decided to try and make it back home, driving about 10 miles before a loss of power and ending up broken down on the hard shoulder.
I have had a mobile mechanic come and look at the car and he pointed out that my turbo pipe had came loose and must have been rubbing against my oil-filter housing. The corner of the oil-filter housing has worn away and this seems to be where the oil is leaking from.

A few questions:

How long should it take to change the oil-filter housing?

Will i need to replace the oil cooler as well?

Is this a difficult job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
A3Alice (proud Audi owner, now on public transport) :(

If you have the replacement oil-filter housing it should take no more than 10 minutes to change it. It is not a difficult job if you know what you are doing. Front of the car has to be lifted as if you were going to change the oil and you need to remove the engine shield from underneath. I'd change the filter and oil at the same time.

I don't know about replacing the oil cooler. Have to wait for someone more experienced than me to answer.

Thankyou so much!!! The mechanic told me it would take 3 hours! and that he would have to work from the top of the engine (basically having to remove everything from the top to get to the housing!!)
I don't think there is any damage to the cooler, probably just the mechanic trying to rip me off!!
Thanks again for your advice, now to find a trustworthy mechanic!!!