Audi Concert HU in MY10 S3 - Aux Input

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
I tried asking this question in the "ICE / SATNAV" forum, but haven't had any replies, thought i'd test the wealth of knowledge in the 8P forum as it's kind of car specific :)

I'm trying to figure out if the Concert HU in my new S3 will have an Aux-in at the back of the unit. I know there is one in the center console but the reason I am asking is because I want to hard wire my iPhone car kit in and will look to pass a 3.5mm J2J cable behind the dash hopefully into the back of the HU.

Can anybody tell me if there is an aux-in at the back of the HU?

The car will also have the Ipod adapter fitted from factory just in case this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

It won't have a 3.5mm jack socket on the back no mate. There are 4 pins on the quad-lock that the aux-in lead from the centre console wires into. You can buy 3.5mm sockets that use the same 4 pin configuration and wire that in though. Can't find one right now but here's a PCB mount one from Maplin:

jm23a.jpg

Cheers Staz, so it is possible with a bit of fiddling, thats what i was hoping, that there was a way to disconnect the aux-in from the center console and replace with a different lead.

Yep definitely mate. I had to do the opposite when I got mine as the aux-in in the centre was new on MY08 cars and Gareth at HD didn't connect it up as he was unsure how to do it. IIRC it's something like positive, negative, left and right for the four wires. Trying to find the old thread but search doesn't seem to be working!

Actually, scrap that, it's not the right thing, although there do seem to be more suitable items on the Kufatec website but advertised for VW radios only

You looking for the phone or the music/audio... You already have the music connection, so I assumed you might mean for the phone functionality?

Since if you're using Aux input you'd then have to manually select aux-in...

just use the telephone-in connections on the Quadlock. Assuming you have a concert 2+, when the phone rings, the speaker outputs mute the radio/ipod/CD/whatever, then the phone comes through the speakers, and the head unit says 'PHONE' in big letters. When the call ends, the head unit returns you to previous programming.

The Concert 2+ uses the same Quadlock connections as the RNS-E... Connector part C, connect audi oin to pins 6(-) and 12(+), then on connector part D, Pin 11 is the pin which signals when the telephone 'siezes control' of the head unit... -I can't recall if it's a low-going (connect-to-ground) or a high-going (connect to +), but I'd try ground first.

As it happens, I'll be selling a complete kit to do this, including Parrot Bluetooth module, all connectors etc. and a steering wheel control interface, very soon. It works with your head unit, I know for certain, because I had one before I put the RNS-E in.

Keith

Last edited:
You looking for the phone or the music/audio... You already have the music connection, so I assumed you might mean for the phone functionality?

Since if you're using Aux input you'd then have to manually select aux-in...

just use the telephone-in connections on the Quadlock. Assuming you have a concert 2+, when the phone rings, the speaker outputs mute the radio/ipod/CD/whatever, then the phone comes through the speakers, and the head unit says 'PHONE' in big letters. When the call ends, the head unit returns you to previous programming.

The Concert 2+ uses the same Quadlock connections as the RNS-E... Connector part C, connect audi oin to pins 6(-) and 12(+), then on connector part D, Pin 11 is the pin which signals when the telephone 'siezes control' of the head unit... -I can't recall if it's a low-going (connect-to-ground) or a high-going (connect to +), but I'd try ground first.

As it happens, I'll be selling a complete kit to do this, including Parrot Bluetooth module, all connectors etc. and a steering wheel control interface, very soon. It works with your head unit, I know for certain, because I had one before I put the RNS-E in.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I am actually looking for just an Aux-in for sound from my iPhone plugged into it's cradle, rather than hands free ability. For instance, if i want to use the satnav on my phone but have the sound through the car speakers, or watching a film on the phone and sound through speakers.

I do have the Aux-in socket in the center console, but it's no where near where I put my phone cradle, and I hate messy wires everywhere, hence why i'd like to pass a lead straight into the back off the HU.

Right, gotcha.

-I'd simply parallel onto the existing aux-in wire then. -It's perfectly fine to do so, although it's best not to plug two things in at the same time. (It's not damaging or anything, just doesn't sound too good.)

Keith

Right, gotcha.

-I'd simply parallel onto the existing aux-in wire then. -It's perfectly fine to do so, although it's best not to plug two things in at the same time. (It's not damaging or anything, just doesn't sound too good.)

Keith

That might be a good idea, i'll have a go at doing that then, cutting wires I presume.

Cheers Keith!

Nick

Yes as Keith has already wisely said just tap into existing auxin wiring, I would remove radio & splice into them on rear of unit, if you dont want perm then scotch lock the wires, if you dont care then solder as I find scotch locks unreliable sometimes, thee parts are next to nothing to just have a trailing cable with socket on end, but note the auxin levels are nowhere near as loud as stock on HU like radio/cd etc, so beware when switching from aux to radio it will blow your ears of, lol, maybe test if havnt already with existing auxin.

I have noticed that before on my current Audi, the levels being significantly different. Is there another way to achieve the same outcome do you think without having the levels problem? Maybe use a different connector/adapter into say the CD changer input or similar?

Thanks for you help!

I have just installed the aux-in on my brothers A4 cab, i bought the standard aux socket from audi and 3 repair wires about £15 in total. I just left the socket behind the dash. Last night i fitted the Iphone cradle hes bought and well impressed with it. It uses a brodit clip and an iphone dock which incorporates a line out and a charger cable. The line out cable is now all hidden away but for now the power cable is plugged into the cig socket, at the weekend I am going to install another socket behind the dash.

You could always split a 3.5 to 3.5 lead in half and solder the wires onto repair wire, remove the current pins from the quadlock and insert your new ones

here is a very useful guide
http://audiretrofit.googlepages.com/rnseauxin