LED Side Light Bulbs

A3 Sport

Reaction score
I have the standard DRL lights that are basically a side light.. If I was to fit an LED side light bulb would that make them a brighter and whiter light?

Also, are there any of these bulbs that are road legal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You get lots of "plug n play" LED replacement bulbs (1000s on eBay like this for example), but brightness and 'throw' will vary and may not ultimately improve the look/performance of your DRLs.

depending on how far you're will to go, you could make it work well, but a purely plug-n-play solution might not give you that look...

you can get a lot of the cheap LED but id pay much more for something that will give better performance and will not throw up warning lights! what bulb type are they? are they the standard sidelight 501 bulb?!

and also, they are road legal unless u fit a blue or red Light

did u get an answer on this mate as i have tried changin my side lights and alls ive got is the warning lights!! any help and advice cheers!

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-anti-bulb-warning-xenon-white-wide-angle-p-2085.html

the ones u showed will create a bulb warning light because there is not enough resistance there for the ECU to read that there is a bulb there. these ones have a built in resistor ther only thing is, is that they dont look as nice when there not on!

Ohh I see, yeahh thanks for the suggestion, are there likely to be any other bulbs that dont flash up a warning light? What exactly do I need to lookout for?

Thanks!

Hi, i have a 2009 A3 sport with the DRL fitted (non LED) and have removed the bulbs for the running lights and they aren't the same as ultraleds are selling. The bulb looks like it is fixed into a bulb holder which connects to the power supply and has the code PS19W written on it. I have searched all over for an upgrade but can't seem to find one or they are not available yet. Just thought i would let you know as i wouldn't want you to buy the ones from ultraleds as they don't fit this headlight,
Cheers.

what type bulbs are fitted to the DRL's then??? do you have the strip of lights or just the single bulb where full beam would normall be on a a3 without xenons?!

Last edited:
get the bulbs with cancellers.. this way it will not bring up any error messages on the dash! i got xenon white leds in my interior lights and there fine.

ive wired plain leds into mine though as said before a large resisitance is required to fit them otherwise you get bulb warning and the ecu shuts off power to the sidelight turning it off for some reason, luckily i wired em through my drls creating enough resistance, problem solved