Vibration at speed after a bump in the ice

Maddox

Reaction score
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about a problem I've been having.

I banged my front driver's side wheel into a kerb after sliding on some ice last week. I've had the wheel rebalanced and the tracking done, but there is still an annoying vibration when driving at motorway speeds, which gets noticably worse when steering to the left, but almost disappears when steering to the right.

It seems like it ought to be a wheel balance problem, but I've tried a spare pair of wheels on the front with no change.

Took it to my local garage who gave it a quick visual inspection and couldn't see anything obviously damaged, so am just wondering where to go next!

thanks

(2004 A3 2.0TDi 140)

I had the same problem except passenger side, turned out i had damaged my wheel bearing. Try jacking the car up to see if there is any play in the wheel, you should be able to hear the bearing its a whirring noise you tend to get.

Davie

Ahh, hadn't thought of it being the bearing - thanks, I'll have a look :)

Not a problem, you will also notice it gets worse as you accelerate due to the RPM of the wheel increasing.

Davie