Volks AutosBadger5
    pedal 2the metal!

Status

Best way to leave the motor whilst on deployment

hey guys,

just asking how i should leave my A3 whilst i go on deployment in the gulf for 6 months with the Royal Navy??

cheers in advance
    'cars without speed are nothing'
    53 plate
    A3. 2.0 TDI Sport
    140 bhp
    yellow
    Wants some mods!
    Ideas where 2 start gr8ful

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    interesting question. Do you have a garage? If so, then it should be fine locked in the garage, I guess for extra precaution you could remove a vital part of the ignition system, if thats possible on these cars?

I know from experience (the old XR2 that I have holed up in a garage) that leaving a car for a long time, the advice to keep the handbrake off, and if possible stick the car up on axle stands to prevent getting distorted tyres. Also a good idea to leave the windows open a crack to prevent the stale air smell in the cabin, but depends how sensitive the alarm is, which leads me to think perhaps it could be worth dis-connecting the battery?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Neutral

Status

Same as an airplane or boat...

Quote Originally Posted by audibhoy View Post
    hey guys,

just asking how i should leave my A3 whilst i go on deployment in the gulf for 6 months with the Royal Navy??

cheers in advance
    nothing is worse than just sitting there. Leave it with someone who you can trust to start the engine every other week to a month for 3 minutes and better yet drive it around the block. A run around the block will keep all moving pieces in shape, top off the battery and get a new layer of oil on the metal surfaces. Just like with an airplane or boat...

BTW, I'm a yank but I'm happy to know someone from this forum is serving our mututal interests in the Gulf and my hat is always off to fellow service member. Good luck, bud!
    Lucky

98 red AUDI A3 Sport

pedal 2the metal!

Status
    nick,

not got a garage but the car will be 'housed' in the multi-storey car park on the naval base with nuclear submarines so it, 'should' be safe from theft...lol

is the alarm/immobiliser connected to the ignition system in any way, cos the last thing i want is after 6 months away getting into my car and the immobiliser activated....

also i dont think that the MOD (ministry of defence3 police would like to see it on ramps either as the crazy b*stards might think it scrap lol

what you think pal?
    53 plate
    A3. 2.0 TDI Sport
    140 bhp
    yellow
    Wants some mods!

pedal 2the metal!

Status
    cheers macy

im sure i will be having a few beers with your boys and girls in the PX in Bahrain
    53 plate
    A3. 2.0 TDI Sport
    140 bhp
    yellow
    Wants some mods!

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audibhoy View Post
    nick,

not got a garage but the car will be 'housed' in the multi-storey car park on the naval base with nuclear submarines so it, 'should' be safe from theft...lol

is the alarm/immobiliser connected to the ignition system in any way, cos the last thing i want is after 6 months away getting into my car and the immobiliser activated....

also i dont think that the MOD (ministry of defence3 police would like to see it on ramps either as the crazy b*stards might think it scrap lol

what you think pal?
    I dont much about the immobilisers in these cars. You could take the battery out and stick it in the boot for when you get back, then maybe it wont go flat while you're away.

I'd also say that if you can't stick it on stands to ensure there is plenty of air in the tyres before you leave it and be sure there are no so flats, as if it does have and it's sits on a flat tyre for months it will knacker the tyre.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

is a retronaut

Status
    Is there no one staying who's going to look after the cars? I've deployed and left cars behind before and we always left the keys with someone, normally the rear party WO2. Every month one of the lads would go around and start them all up. I got back was handed my keys, started first time and I went home
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6th Gear

Status
    Not sure how best to store your motor but all the suggestion seem viable, my favourite would be having someone you trust give it a run every now and agin and get it up to normal running temp, Good luck mate and come back safe and well.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."