Supressor for Tomtom iPhone car kit?

pengjn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had a company fit a Tomtom iPhone car kit to my 2004 A3 Sport. It's great because it acts like a CD changer and I'm able to play music from my iPhone through the car's hifi. The downside is that they didn't install a suppressor, so I get whine from the engine through the speakers. It's annoying. Is it easy to fit a suppressor (i'm not very good at DIY!) or how much would it cost to get one fitted?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jimbo

Hi m8
Maybe a Ferite ring around the cable might be enough!!!

I'd try that first. Cheap and easy.

Good luck.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea - sorry to be thick but does it have to be at the end that connects to the back of the hifi or doesn't it matter?

It shouldn't matter
Although maybe closer to the iPhone might be better.
I'd try and wrap/loop the cable through the ferite tho.
Should suppress the extra frequency.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate sorry to crash this but I have recently got an iPhone and I'm wondering what the options are to get playback through the cars stereo. If it makes a difference I hav the audi Bluetooth car kit fitted too. Thanks
chris

Hi mate sorry to crash this but I have recently got an iPhone and I'm wondering what the options are to get playback through the cars stereo. If it makes a difference I hav the audi Bluetooth car kit fitted too. Thanks
chris

+1 on that question!! i have the kit, and the S3 will have bluetooth handsfree

So - I chose the Tomtom kit because my car doesn't have sat nav, and the iPhone's Tomtom nav app is brilliant. I wanted iPhone integration into the hifi and I wanted a handsfree kit. The Tomtom car kit ticks all the boxes but to be honest the handsfree is disappointing, so all you need do is use your car's built in bluetooth instead of the Tomtom kit (yes - oddly it connects to the kit via bluetooth despite being physically and electrically connected to it!). Because the handsfree is pretty poor I'm getting Audi bluetooth retrofitted. However, for music integration - (easy to control the ipod on the phone when it's right there in front of you in a very sturdy cradle) and for navigation it's perfect. With the built-in bluetooth you have a winning combo - highly recommended.

Can you have it paired to the cradle and the car at the same time then? If not, then you have to choose to either play music or have handsfree connected?

Nope - you just need to pair it with the car. The music is output via a cable, not via bluetooth. It's a little odd but apparently due to the way that the iPhone OS has been built.

right, i'm with you!

So have you had all your cables hidden behind the dash etc? Got any pics to show the installation? I'll be looking to install mine in the S3 when I pick it up on Thursday, was wondering about all this the other week, be nice to see somebody having done it already!

odd - i just replied but it didn't come up. anyway - just been out and taken the worst photo ever using my iphone...

pengjn

There are two cables - one mini USB for power and 3.5mm stereo for music. I could neaten it up more by binding them together but I'm pretty OCD and I dono't notice.

You need an auxillary convertor to enable you to connect to the CD changer input - it fools the stereo into believing the iphone is a CD changer.

R u doing the install yourself? Id be interested in how to get the stereo out if you happen to know?

Well I was going to give it a go, but I was more interested in how they routed the power cable, I wont be using the CD changer facility actually as I have the ipod kit installed, but I will stick a 3.5mm jack in to the aux so I can watch movies on the iPhone whilst in the cradle and have the sound through the car speakers. I'll let you know on the stereo removal, I hear you need special removal keys, most get them from Ebay.

So just confirm then your cables are behind the dash, or not?

I guess they are behind the dash somewhere - a company fitted for me whilst I was at work, so unfort I didn't see what they did. However, they are def not visible anywhere, so they must be behind the dash.

The other cool thing about the kit is that it's very easy to take off the window (despite being very firmly stuck on) and taken with u. I took my on holiday in the US for Xmas and put it in the hire car in order that I didn't have to rent a Nav system from Avis. I just bought a spare mini-USB cable to power it from the cigarette lighter.

I see now, they've put them through the A-pillar then probably down behind the dash. interested to know where to though, somewhere in the loom or maybe back to the fusebox.

Anyway, those kits are good, I have been using mine since Christmas, but because I has a new car on it's way I haven't bothered to put the wiring in properly in the old car, so have only been using it as a standalone cradle, when the new car arrives, i'll do it all more permanently

I'm getting the iPhone cradle for my car from audi and was planning on downloading the tomtom app which looks good. I have 3gs so don't need the tomtom gps receiver kit. So to get music playback I need to install a 3.5mm lead in the cd changer or something?
When the iPhone is in it's audi dock can u get a stereo lead in the slot?
Confused lol!

Just because you have a 3GS doesn't mean you don't need the tomtom car kit, it really does make a huge difference to the reception you get on your GPS, I was hugely impressed with the improvement it made on my 3GS anyway.

It allows you to swivel the iphone to landscape mode which is great for satnav apps and watching a film, don't know if the Audi cradle allows that?

na it doesnt but my car came with the audi bluetooth kit already installed so i already hav a big lump of plastic for the cradle holder sittin doin nothin.
so im goin to get the iphone cradle an hopefuly wing it without tom tom cradle for gps sat nav. but my problem is can i listen to music from my iphone through the cars system????