Burnt Lamin-X Front Fogs

No, can't say as I have but I have only had Lamin-X on mine for the last couple of months. Are you running HID's in the fogs?

No HID's in the fogs.

Just got a small brown mark on each where the light is concentrated the most.

My front fogs are used as DRL's though..

It guess it must be because the bulbs are that much closer to the lens

Why would you want your fog lights on during the day anyway ?? do you keep your wipers on when the suns out as well.

one of my pet hates is people driving with fog lights on when there is no fog!

i ALWAYS bang on the xenons on full beam when someone comes towards me with their stupid fog lights on!

one of my pet hates is people driving with fog lights on when there is no fog!

i ALWAYS bang on the xenons on full beam when someone comes towards me with their stupid fog lights on!

i do exactly the same, only i dont have xenons. a lot of people dont realize it is illegal to have fog lights on when there is no fog, whether it is day or night.

anyway, you may be getting burn marks because they are constantly on and as someone said, the bulbs are very close the glass.

Just found this on Cheshire Police's website :ermm:

"Lights - What are the rules regarding lights on my vehicle?
To drive a vehicle at night, all of the necessary lights must be attached, clean and in good working order.

Fog lamps:

Front fog lamps are not obligatory but if fitted must be white or yellow in colour, used in a pair and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, nor be used except in seriously reduced visibility. They must be clean and in good working order.
Rear fog lights are obligatory on a vehicle first used on or after 01.04.86. They must be red in colour and must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, must not be lit whilst vehicle is parked nor to be used except in seriously reduced visibility.
Where two are fitted both must work. Where one is fitted it must be fitted to the centre or the offside of the vehicle. They must be clean and in good working order.
The driver must be able to see the lights are on by way of a visual indication (warning light) inside the vehicle.

Spot lights:

Spot lights or additional headlights can only be used in a pair and in conjunction with full beam headlights and should not be capable of being illuminated without the operation of the obligatory headlights."

I know the first thing I will be doing when I get my VCDS cable from Nigel.

Aside from that here are a couple of pics of my dreaded fog lights :slapped:

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01646.jpg

As above, I run a MOT station & also know there are MOT issues & road traffic issues - the two SHOULD be the same LOL

Yea but why would you want to run fog lights when there is no fog.......

Well they were not designed to run all the time so i suspect they are over heating hence the scorch marks. Cant see what else it can be ....

They are designed to be used as DRLs in some countries (not the UK) so it isn't that they're overheating, they're just not designed to have a thin sheet of rubber stuck to the lens.

So your saying that they are not over heating and thats causing the scorch marks ? or are you saying the lamin x was not designed to go on fog lamps ?
Seems to me the light uses the glass as a heat sink and by putting the lamin x on the glass you are causing the whole unit to over heat....so they are over heating.

...or are you saying the lamin x was not designed to go on fog lamps ?...

That.

...they're just not designed to have a thin sheet of rubber stuck to the lens.

and that.

Have you ever felt the fog lens after a short period of use? It gets VERY hot, obviously too hot for the Lamin-x to withstand for long periods.

That doesn't mean the light unit is overheating, that's like saying if I put my hand on a recently used electric hob and I burn my hand, the hob must have been overheating. It wasn't, it was designed to get hot, it just wan't designed to have a hand on it, and my hand wasn't designed to be attached to a hob.

Nice comparison there :lmfao:

No its not really ! A hob was designed to get hot. a fog light is not designed to get hot. It may get hot but it wasn't designed to get hot any more than a hob glowing red was designed to shine through fog.
i am simply saying that by covering the glass in a "thin sheet of rubber" you are likely to stop the dissipation of the heat from the unit and it will over heat and burn the "thin sheet of rubber"

Last edited:
No its not really ! A hob was designed to get hot. a fog light is not designed to get hot. It may get hot but it wasn't designed to get hot any more than a hob glowing red was designed to shine through fog.

Is this better for you?

Have you ever felt the fog lens after a short period of use? It gets VERY hot, obviously too hot for the Lamin-x to withstand for long periods.

That doesn't mean the light unit is overheating, that's like saying if I put my hand on the front of a recently used floodlight and I burn my hand, the floodlight must have been overheating. It wasn't, it was designed to get hot (even if that isn't its function) it just wan't designed to have a hand on it, and my hand wasn't designed to be attached to a floodlight.

;)

Is this gonna affect CO2 and the enviroment? :) All this talk of heat and disipitation.

Well you'll all be happy to know I received my VCDS cable from Nigel (Thanks Nigel) today and the first thing I did was disable my fogs as DRL's!

Only thing is it turned off the sidelights with it :bye:

Apologies to all the people I seem to have offended having them on in the first place....