Turbo popped! hybrid stage2 ordered :)

navnayyar

Reaction score
hi guys! on my way home last night from work and turbo popped at 4000rpm in 3rd gear, couldnt believe it! Power suddenly dropped and whistle noise, damn! i drove at about 25mph, trying desperatly to get home about 2 miles away. 1 mile later, exhaust started smoking like it was on fire! I pulled over and pulled key out of ignition, and engine didnt stop! Was revving very hard at 3000rpm chucking out heck of a lot smoke. Thinking my engine was gona blow up i tried to stall it and then the engine cut out and smoke stopped eventually. I went to the back on saw my milltek drippin engine oil, ahhh! I only had this fitted last month. Thank god i got the cat replacement. Looked at it again this morning and checked to see how much engine oil I had lost and the dipstick was totally clean, all had leaked into my milltek! SO spoke to my local tuning company, am guess you all know who by now lol and they ordered me a brand new stage 2 turbo dynamics hybrid with 15% off rrp! feeling good I put my pennies down and went for it. Should be here on friday and fitted and remapped again for the 3rd time, by early nest week. I also had a sachs clutch+flywheel on order with them and had to put it on hold for now as this is more important. Hoping I can afford the sachs in a month or two time.

Lets hope you did not hydrolock the engine and bent a few rods... That would be the icing on the cake !

Lets hope you did not hydrolock the engine and bent a few rods... That would be the icing on the cake !

that would be a bit of a b****! I didnt get no warnining lights or anything, did a VCDS scan and doesnt show anything, not even low engine oil :S

if you dont mind me asking mate, how much did you pay for the turbo??

had a choice of stage 1 with GT17 compressor rrp 1045+Vat or stage 2 with GT20 compressor wheel rrp 1095+VAT. Got 15% off. Went with stage 2, so i really max it when i get the sachs clutch

Don`t you just hate it when the stock turbo goes bang and you have to buy a hybrid to replace it with ...:yahoo:

Its been made and Turbo dynamics have posted it to FR&RTuning, I will have this tomorrow, hopefully will be back on the road before the weekend. I was advised when i refill the engine oil again after hybrid turbo is fitted to run it a few hundered miles then drain the oil and replace with fresh oil, so it will remove any debris that may have got into the engine from the failed turbo. This is just going cost me 10litres of oil! so is there anything else i can use to the flush the engine with?

sry to here u spell of bad luck but the turbo will b awsome its deffo on my wish list, just wondering what mileage had ur car done? also before you run your engine with the new turbo take the sump bung out and run 2 liters of oil stright through the engine, this should get spritty much any debri out of the engine, id also invest in a magnetic sump plug:)

It had 86k on clock, so guess it was time for it to go, however i was wanting to do cam and waterpump. This will have to wait now. Hope it doesnt mess up! Where do i get a magnetic sump plug from?

i best start saving for a hybrid now as ive done 96k, you can get the magnetic sump plugs off ebay m8 only bout £15 there realy good, i had one on my old car and everytime i serviced it it was amazing how much cack was stuck to it, will be ordering one for mine befor the next service

It had 86k on clock, so guess it was time for it to go, however i was wanting to do cam and waterpump. This will have to wait now. Hope it doesnt mess up! Where do i get a magnetic sump plug from?

I have a spare set of secondhand cams and water pump from an engine i am braking at the moment if your interested.

got the hybrid turbo fitted yesterday and while the the engine was stripped, i took the plunge and also got the sachs clutch, clutch cover+single mass flywheel fitted and new release bearing :D Cracking job, everything nut and bolt went back on perfect. Took it for a short ride last night to help the turbo oil up and clutch to settle in. Realised the gearbox is making a much louder noise, but i guess this is due to the reinforced clutch cover? also clutch pedal requires a little more force to press and the distance required to dip the clutch is shorter, which is a good thing. NOW I'm still running the map created for me by FR&RTuning for the milltek cat replacemnet pipe, and to get any use of the mods at the moment I will need a new remap. My question is will the standard 6sp gear box be able to handle upto 250BHP? and for how long? One of the techs there said he will dyno tune it when he next goes to the dyno, that he regularly used for their R&D in a week or two.

Il get some pics up soon

The gearbox will cope with 250bhp and over 400 lb torque very easily mate so no worries there. The clutch should only be making more noise in neautral because you have a SMF fitted instead of a DMF.

will the vibration on idle cause any damage longer term? Also some pics of my new setup :D
IMG_0218a.jpg

IMG_0219a.jpg
http://www.fr-rtuning.com/images/IMG_0219a.jpg

DeJaVous mate, mine went pop whilst in europe 6 months back, so I got hybrid from TD, fitted myself & had the existing map changed to custom other day, nice change for sure & reminds me of my S3 days when pulling away from the A3 services other day lol, but on mine I stripped the sump to completely clean it out as there were some metal bits in the IC piping & IC itself, removed the exhaust to empty the oil, removed the whole charge air system & cleaned all the oil out of the pipes & IC, then removed the flap etc & cleaned up, also removed the intake mani & cleaned the gunk build up, which wasnt to bad tbh, I was lucky as hardly anything got to the intake tbh, an experience for sure.

will the vibration on idle cause any damage longer term? Also some pics of my new setup :D
QUOTE]
I have never heard of or seen any damage done to a gearbox by using a SMF. Getting used to the rattle does take a lot of putting up with though.