S3 on a boat!!

beanoir

Large Member
Reaction score
Well it's finally been shipped, apparently it was yesterday, about time as it was built first week of December, Audi finally put it on a "priority shipping"

I have been told by the dealer that it may be with me by the end of the month, that sounds a long time to me, is it right to expect another 2.5 weeks from it leaving the boat?

Are you going to wait till the new plate comes out?

Sounds about right , although i spoke to my dealer on 19th december who informed me our Q5 was on the boat , we collected it on christmas Eve 6 days later as ii wanted the 15% vat so pushed for delivery , all prepped and PDI.
If you are taking delivery on say end of Jan, then i would sack it off and hold back until March for a MY10 plate , the dealer can hold it and just not register it , 59 plates will automatically be worth less second hand , you and i know that it's all rubbish really as the registration date is like 2 months apart , but from a buyers point of view 59 plate is last year and my10 .... is well 2010.

Also when site's like autotrader have options in menus to select age of car like upto 1 year etc , 59 plates will soon be in the year before the MY10 plates and again buyers will automatically assume they are cheaper.

I know you are not buying your pride and joy to sell , but lets face it at some point you will , so it's just a way of protecting your asset.

Ask your self would you like the sound of a 58 plate or an 09 plate suddenly 58 plate sounds old when we will soon be seeing MY10 plates everywhere.

That said i went for my car being registered on 23rd december 2009 , but that was purely for the cheaper VAT at the time , as i did weigh up both options.

Totally of topic ! , but worth a thought.

Crypric, what you say makes absolute sense, and you're right when I sell it i'm sure it will make difference.

I'm not much of a plate snob so the feeling of driving around in a 59 instead of a 10 means nothing at all to me, so that won't sway things. Saving a few quid when I sell it, that doesn't really bother me much either.

However, having to wait another day longer than I have to, that does bother me! I am well known for my lack of patience. Hence my post, it was really to judge the kind times people experience of the boat arriving in Grimsby and being ready to collect from the dealer.

Yes i know what you are saying,
Well the q5 we picked up was from Grimsby Audi , and as said it was on the boat on the 19th , we collected it 6 days later from Grimsby Audi , they may have been pushing because of the VAT at the time , that said if they can push because of VAT and at Christmas ! then it shows they can deliver at that time scale. Bet you are buzzing with excitement though ! Nothing like that smell of a factory delivered car..

Hehehe. I know the feeling, my car is at the dealers. Been to have windows & other bits and bobs done.

David

beanoir

I waited around 5 days from when it landed at Grimsby and that was with a delay, if they are quoting you 2.5 weeks then expect it sooner rather than later as thats sounds quite long, they will want it in there jan figures, also its not a bad thing to keep pushing them for it, i did and it got put on priority at the docks as the amount of cars there and the checks they have to do can be time consuming.

Try think of an excuse that you can tell them that would mean it will need to be here earlier, if you put it in a nice way they might pull a few strings for you.

Good luck

beanoir

I waited around 5 days from when it landed at Grimsby and that was with a delay, if they are quoting you 2.5 weeks then expect it sooner rather than later as thats sounds quite long, they will want it in there jan figures, also its not a bad thing to keep pushing them for it, i did and it got put on priority at the docks as the amount of cars there and the checks they have to do can be time consuming.

Try think of an excuse that you can tell them that would mean it will need to be here earlier, if you put it in a nice way they might pull a few strings for you.

Good luck

Thanks Johnny!

I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow or Thursday and make an excuse of some sort and see how they can help.

The other reason I can't wait is that I've arranged the meet at Lakeside on the 31st of Jan, can't be turning up to that with out it!! hehe

Haha, here's some perspective for you ... my S3's boat ride took a bit over 6 weeks, then I had another 3 weeks to wait from unloading to delivery day. That was after already waiting 9 weeks from order to build date as well.

:beerchug:

Hi Beanoir, just to let you know my car arrived off the boat 16th december and I didn't recieve it until January :) ...and yes I know the wait is horrible.

Haha, here's some perspective for you ... my S3's boat ride took a bit over 6 weeks, then I had another 3 weeks to wait from unloading to delivery day. That was after already waiting 9 weeks from order to build date as well.

:beerchug:
Hey Liam,
Sorry, no sympathy for you at all mate.

I'm still waiting for mine and I ordered it on 10th August. It landed in Sydney on 28th Dec after over 7 weeks at sea. Dealer reckons maybe next week, but he's not sure. So I'm at 22 weeks and counting. :3sadwalk:.

Get in there!!

Post pics Beanoir, and keep yourself busy til thursday

Did you ring them and push it a bit ?
9 days i make that , more like it !
Pics ASAP please

I called them today actually crypric, they say the car arrived in the country yesterday, which isn't quite the truth (but i told him a white lie, so no worse than me!), but I was willing to let him off, he offered to have the car ready for Thursday morning.

I said I was going on a holiday to the Lakes om Friday, and really wanted to take the new car with me... ;)

so yes, 9 days! not a bad effort on their part really.

I called them today actually crypric, they say the car arrived in the country yesterday, which isn't quite the truth (but i told him a white lie, so no worse than me!), but I was willing to let him off, he offered to have the car ready for Thursday morning.

I said I was going on a holiday to the Lakes om Friday, and really wanted to take the new car with me... ;)

so yes, 9 days! not a bad effort on their part really.

Ha nice touch, i said the missus' parents were coming at the weekend so wanted to have it a few days before to enjoy it, they actually were but it still worked